GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been an expensive tire month, so for $200 shipped to my door, yes please. Yep, both the FJR and GSX-S decided to show cords on the same week. Also, truck tires were bald. All three are now running with fresh rubber. I did finally get to try out the hitch mount for my no mar changer. Loving it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, not a lot of twisties around here, some turns but mountains are far from here so I figure they'll do well enough. If they don't, at least I didn't spend much on them. Now, how about some sub hundred degree (in F, 38C) temps so I can enjoy riding it.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
BT16 is newer than the ancient D214 as I remember. For lighter sportsbikes in the 600 range.
I think the S21 is the BT's natural descendant for today's OEM's fitment, and S22 at the more serious Enthusiast end.

Rob.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wish granted!
You are right, sort of. Still dang hot in the afternoon. I got up this morning and took the FJR out for a spin, then came by the house and took my kiddo for a ride and breakfast burritos. Came home and put the FJR away and took the GSX out. Good morning. Now I'm sitting in the A/C watching the outside temperatures rise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's the key around here this month. Start riding 6-7am and back home by 9-10am. Freakin heat index is supposed to be 111*f today.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the key around here this month. Start riding 6-7am and back home by 9-10am. Freakin heat index is supposed to be 111*f today.
Kind of happy to be working when it's this hot. Good news is cooler weather is coming. When it's here and afternoons are tolerable, we should do lunch again, but this time plan it in advance instead of just running into each other. :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
New rubber is always great to have. The bike feels so nimble again. I always have to 'recalibrate' my brain to account for the quicker turn-in, but it's all good. Sorry you had to put shoes on the GSX-S, FJR, and the truck all at the same time. That's expensive.

Just curious - are Bridgestones still pretty stiff to get on? It's been a while since I ran one, but they were one of the more difficult tires to get fitted. The Michelins seemed softer/easier. My buddy said I should have just tossed them in the driveway and let the sun bake them a while before putting them on. I guess that would have worked, especially if temps are like they've been lately. SO HOT. <UGH> Ready for cooler weather to find it's way south.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just curious - are Bridgestones still pretty stiff to get on? It's been a while since I ran one, but they were one of the more difficult tires to get fitted. The Michelins seemed softer/easier. My buddy said I should have just tossed them in the driveway and let the sun bake them a while before putting them on. I guess that would have worked, especially if temps are like they've been lately. SO HOT. <UGH> Ready for cooler weather to find it's way south.
The T31's weren't so bad. They set in the sun long enough that I needed mechanics gloves to handle them. The 16's I tossed out in the driveway and the clouds moved in. The front was stiff as all get out, had to put my weight on it to get the first XtraHand clamp on it. I used lots of lube on that one and it went on ok.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hey Jasen, thanks for the reply. Sounds like they are the same as before (stiff, but not impossible). But they are a great value for the money. My buddy finally found a tire he couldn't mount - a Hidenau! He ended up taking it to the dealer. It was just so impossibly stiff, he was making no progress on getting it put on his Super Tenere rim. Bridgestones were 'easy' in comparison. Everything is relative, ha!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I threw on a set of Bridgestone A41s on mt Africa Twin sunday. GSX got a set of Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs back in July and rear is half worn out now after one N Georgia mountain trip back in July. I am using my No Mar hitch adapter now since my new house does not have a dedicated shop built yet to mount it in. I'm currently storing and working on all my bikes in the homes 3rd bay of the garage. Hope to build a shop by this time next year and pay cash for it, that's the plan lol

·
Registered
583 Posts
<SNIPPED STUFF> I am using my No Mar hitch adapter now since my new house does not have a dedicated shop built yet to mount it in. <SNIPPED STUFF>
If I was doing it again today (buying a No-Mar) I'd be getting the hitch mount unit, too. Then I could free up some garage floor space. But I've found the No-Mar bolted to the floor is useful for hanging and leaning a million things on it ;)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I rented houses before, so the plywood thing went well with the harbor freight changer. I have my own home now and I tried the plywood trick with my second hand No Mar and decided No More. I didn't want to dedicate the space in my garage so I contacted No Mar as they are always at the annual motorcycle show. I paid for the hitch adapter and they threw it in their truck with their displays and goods for sale. I picked it up from their booth and saved quite a bit of cash on shipping. It was completely worth it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 23 Posts