GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey you might have seen my earlier post after the mods went on,, this is what happens with a good tuner getting ahold the bike and doing his thing. No more hunting, smooth efficient throttle and plenty of grunt power. it ended @ 149.4 rwhp,, thats pretty awesome! Thanks Ricky!
I've included the first tune sheet for comparison

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice gains!!!
I just don't know why no one revs the **** thing near it's potential (on most dyno graphes). 10.75k is way too low. Should be at the very least 12.0k.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice gains!!!
I just don't know why no one revs the **** thing near it's potential (on most dyno graphes). 10.75k is way too low. Should be at the very least 12.0k.
yeah the scale is rising too, i'm sure if I change the rev limiter theres another two or three hp there, My tuner thinks so too

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Nice gains!!!

What gear were the runs done in, quite often 6th gear and in 6th gear on a stock ECU the secondary throttle valves are closed 50% over 10750 RPM

Also with the standard limiter at 11500 RPM it would be difficult to rev it to 12K

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also with the standard limiter at 11500 RPM it would be difficult to rev it to 12K
Paul, 11,500 is the redline, not the limiter! ;) At least in Canada. The redline is pretty meaningless to me, other than it's not recommended to hold it up there steady, especially in high gears. Quickly rev-ing up there is fine, otherwise, they would have set the limiter lower (Warranty). But, of course, do as you want with your bike. The tach on this bike is far from being precise, but it looks like the bike can rev up to ~12.25k from my personal observations. One shall never hit the limiter by shifting at 12k. Being able to keep an eye on the tach with this much power/acceleration and without a shift-light is another story though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looking at your pix.... did you mean the limiter is 11.5k in 6th only? (I wouldn't know, I don't drive it this fast ;) ) But it would make sense to limit revs in 6th. If not, I don't know why the FTECU would not have settings up to 12-13k. It allows increasing the limiter, right? Of course you better know what you are doing if you do so. Possibly requiring upgraded internals. Usually, the rev scale can be altered through the ECU Software too.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Mine has a limiter in every gear at 11.5K, I've hit it quite a few times! (So i added a shift light)

The limiter cuts the ignition and its quite a hard limiter. The 6th gear closing the secondary valves is a top speed limiter, and its soft, just reducing the power by in effect closing the throttle which i why I wondered if these runs were in 6th

FTECU don't offer the facility to change the rev limiter at the moment, but i have removed the 6th gear limiter not that I'm very likely to need it (although my bike has 10% lower gearing)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine has a limiter in every gear at 11.5K, I've hit it quite a few times! (So i added a shift light)

The limiter cuts the ignition and its quite a hard limiter. The 6th gear closing the secondary valves is a top speed limiter, and its soft, just reducing the power by in effect closing the throttle which i why I wondered if these runs were in 6th

FTECU don't offer the facility to change the rev limiter at the moment, but i have removed the 6th gear limiter not that I'm very likely to need it (although my bike has 10% lower gearing)
Interesting on your limiter. It's been months I have not ridden mine at the moment, but I'm pretty sure I remember the numbers correctly.

FTECU not offering the change of rev limiter is a bummer. I thought it did. This is/was my first choice when the time comes to upgrade mine. :S

·
Registered
179 Posts
37 is good. Means they attempted a good meticulous tune or that they had no clue what they were doing. From your numbers, I'd think it's the first option. :) 37 runs is just ... expensive. To save expensive dyno runs, AFR could be self-done at 75% on the streets, but you need equipment for that, know what you are doing, and likely a few more hours of work. If you do it only once and are done with mods, it's not so bad. If not, then it becomes expensive to redo everything on a dyno every time you add a "power getter" .. Also, what I personally like about putting in place a AFR gauge is the possibility to monitor if anything goes bad. A dyno is awesome to measure power, but a single day of dyno does not mimic every driving condition perfectly (wind, temp variation, sustained stop and go if you drive hard or do track days, etc). 20C temperature change (from 10C to 30C) could have a significant (and armful) impact! Could.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
37 is good. Means they attempted a good meticulous tune or that they had no clue what they were doing. From your numbers, I'd think it's the first option. :) 37 runs is just ... expensive.

Ricky Knows what he's doing, and expensive is relative, he did or should i say undid some stuff first tuner did and straightened out a few things besides the tune, worth every penny of it, the dudes a good tuner. He's looking for tuner work if anyone in cali is looking

1 - 15 of 15 Posts