GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, Im coming off of an 06 cbr1000 and absolutely loved that bike :crying:. Didnt have the greatest of power but it was butter smooth.

Im about to purchase the GSX-S1000 abs and wanted to know what differences I would expect.

Other than the upright position, wind blast and snatchy throttle...

The power seems comparable >:D since the CBR had about 151 at the wheel and gsxs is about 145 mostly in the midrange... about the same torque and about the same weight...

Thanks so much. I ask since ive seen in some members signatures have owned 06/07 cbrs. :nerd:

Thanks and looking forward to joining this team!

·
Registered
299 Posts
No 600rr has 150 rear wheel horsepower. Try more like 90 - 100. Night and day difference, the GSXS is very torquey and that makes riding it around down easy peasy. Can stay in 6th gear all day long.

The only thing you may not like is the naked/no fairing. Some guys like it and some don't. There's no way to know if you will or will not like it until you've tried it long term. Me? I've had many upright bikes and I love them. Has nothing to do with age either, I just never felt like being in a race track position while sitting in traffic. Never made sense to me. Sure, I bet a look cool to all the chickies on the highway...but that's about the only reason to be in that position in traffic.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No 600rr has 150 rear wheel horsepower. Try more like 90 - 100. Night and day difference, the GSXS is very torquey and that makes riding it around down easy peasy. Can stay in 6th gear all day long.

The only thing you may not like is the naked/no fairing. Some guys like it and some don't. There's no way to know if you will or will not like it until you've tried it long term. Me? I've had many upright bikes and I love them. Has nothing to do with age either, I just never felt like being in a race track position while sitting in traffic. Never made sense to me. Sure, I bet a look cool to all the chickies on the highway...but that's about the only reason to be in that position in traffic.
A 600rr with 150 would need a serious turbo and NOS... I was referring to the 1000rr.

I fully agree... Ive recently moved and more of my riding is with the lady and on longer rides. I can fit a screen to help with the windblast. For looks I really like the naked since its not a naked with an anemic engine but with a full fledged beloved gsxr engine and pretty good suspension from what ive read.

I wish i could find a dealer to let me test ride one.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ha ha I don't know why I thought 600. I had an 07 1000rr. Out of all my bikes, that one was my favorite. It simply could not do anything wrong. Comfortable too! To this day I am sad about letting her go :(

I stupidly traded the Honda and the Aprilia in for the Harley. That was stupid.

Bad, Tom!!! Bad!! No soup for you!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha ha I don't know why I thought 600. I had an 07 1000rr. Out of all my bikes, that one was my favorite. It simply could not do anything wrong. Comfortable too! To this day I am sad about letting her go :(
bummer... i was hoping to not read stuff like that... I miss mine cbr a lot also... I have a diecast on my desk at work and it reminds me every day how awesome it was. But that was in 06... less restrictions on emissions... which made them lighter and less restricted with the flow... also at that time manufacturers were dumping a ton of money into R&D... but the market crashed and here we are 10 years later and other than ABS/Traction control I dont feel weve progressed as much as we did the past 10 years leading up to 06..

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad, Tom!!! Bad!! No soup for you!!
I have some post CBR bitter soup we can share in shame :crying:

I really hope the added comfort and torque midrange will resurrect the same love I had for the CBR. :laugh:

Also my wrists are in bad shape so a more upright position was forced on me. Too many wrist injuries...

·
Registered
299 Posts
AI can fit a screen to help with the windblast.
Many people will preemptively run out and get a windscreen. I'd be patient and give it a little time for your body to break in and get used to the wind. The back of your neck will develop muscles it never had and soon you'll find yourself doing regular 300 mile day trips at 90-100 MPH without a single problem whatsoever.

Many people aren't patient though and run right out and get a windscreen because the back of their neck is sore.

I rode to Asheville NC, through the Blue Ridge Mountains and back to Fort Lauderdale a few years back on my Tuono. 2,500 miles. No wind screen + a back pack. And I'm no spring chicken.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have some post CBR bitter soup we can share in shame :crying:

I really hope the added comfort and torque midrange will resurrect the same love I had for the CBR. :laugh:

Also my wrists are in bad shape so a more upright position was forced on me. Too many wrist injuries...

I've had a lot of different bikes and the GSXS never stops pleasing. It really is a fantastic bike. I think you'll love it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Many people will preemptively run out and get a windscreen. I'd be patient and give it a little time for your body to break in and get used to the wind. The back of your neck will develop muscles it never had and soon you'll find yourself doing regular 300 mile day trips at 90-100 MPH without a single problem whatsoever.

Many people aren't patient though and run right out and get a windscreen because the back of their neck is sore.

I rode to Asheville NC, through the Blue Ridge Mountains and back to Fort Lauderdale a few years back on my Tuono. 2,500 miles. No wind screen + a back pack. And I'm no spring chicken.

You know, you actually make a good point, and one that I never heard before regarding allowing your neck muscles to adjust and strengthen to the wind. Suppose only problem is until then you have to wait and be patient. The other problem that I could perceive is that you just never know long it will take or if at all. I personally did not have the patience to wait in order to enjoy my GSXS and went for the screen, i.e. the F. Personally, the F looks better to me as well. Like I say - each to his own and enjoy, its still a GSXS1000 naked or faired.;)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just talked to a dealer nearby (middle california) and theyre offering under MSRP...so i might be an official member by saturday!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So here she is!

Initial impressions.
- twitchy throttle but I kinda like it. Will get a PCv to smooth it out for safety when pushing it in corners
- super comfortable
- what wind blast? 90mph or so was still comfortable
- love the noise
- power? felt down on my old 06 cbr1000rr. Its plenty fast for sure but the cbr (and other super sports) were crazy fast to the red line... this feels more like... ok... were moving... its fast. With a bit of tweaking with a PCV to fix the lean fuel problems and get 10bhp out of it, itll feel more alive.

so far happy with it. Not as fast and planted in the corners as the cbr but will keep working on it to get it there. For sure an easier bike to live with on a daily basis!

Immadiate upgrades to come:
- power commander
- steel brake lines
- steering damper when someone makes one for us

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
My Honda had the HESD (Honda Electronic Steering Damper) which kept the bike planted and solid as a rock. I'm definitely going to get a steer tube mounted one. Such as a Scott, as soon as they are available.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Remember the GSXS is brand new. It will get more powerful once it breaks in and the snatchy throttle will disappear.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sangedegsx,

How much did you pay OTD???? What dealer in mid-california??
I got it out the door completely for $10,950. I negotiated for 2 days with all 3 dealers in the bay area and they were all really close to the same price since I pushed hard with the initial conversations. Just a difference of $100 across all. Pretty happy with the price for the ABS model.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Remember the GSXS is brand new. It will get more powerful once it breaks in and the snatchy throttle will disappear.
I agree about the power increasing a bit. It was a little rainy and with the fresh tires I did have the traction control on the highest level. From what i read it doesnt limit power but just slip detection is a bit more sensitive.

The throttle snatchyness, i dont think will disappear but I might just get more used to it. I really want the motor to run as close to perfectly since Suzuki really made it run lean to pass emissions. I tend to ride hard and there are some low speed twisties near me... a snatchy throttle in that case is dangerous.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My Honda had the HESD (Honda Electronic Steering Damper) which kept the bike planted and solid as a rock. I'm definitely going to get a steer tube mounted one. Such as a Scott, as soon as they are available.
Ive had good use of the HESD on the cbr... but it only ever kicked in a hard wobble... most of the time it was non restricting. Im not excited about getting the typical steering damper since theyre not speed sensitive as the HESD was.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts