GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all! This is the first item I've noticed on my Gixis. Bike just turned over 3700 miles and can hear a very slight high pitched squeal coming from the front wheel when braking for (low speed) stop lights. Bike's been ridden reasonable enthusiastically but no stunting or attempted stoppies. My old 750 Kaw triple would do this while pushing bike--I removed pads and filed an "X" in it and that eliminated noise. But I thought all OEM pads these days already have slots in them. :confused:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Every vehicle I've had with Brembos always squealed. I kind of like it. I guess the same way Ducati guys love their open clutch bucket rattle. :)

I always though it was because Brembos omit dampeners in the calipers. So the X worked? Did it affect braking performance? How thick are your grooves and how deep?

Hi all! This is the first item I've noticed on my Gixis. Bike just turned over 3700 miles and can hear a very slight high pitched squeal coming from the front wheel when braking for (low speed) stop lights. Bike's been ridden reasonable enthusiastically but no stunting or attempted stoppies. My old 750 Kaw triple would do this while pushing bike--I removed pads and filed an "X" in it and that eliminated noise. But I thought all OEM pads these days already have slots in them. :confused:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Mines give a slight squeal every now and then, i have never been concerned about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I changed to EBC pads and the squeal disappeared.......and then it came back.
It comes and goes now, It's a little annoying but there are no anti squeal shims fitted and other people have reported putting anti-squeal paste on the back of the pads and it still comes back.
Guess we have to live with it:|

·
Registered
475 Posts
Anti squeal plate are simply stainless steel shims, it wouldn't be difficult to knock up 4 and try them, especially if it annoys you that much. Tbh it would annoy me
Do our brake pads share any other bikes? Ie can we get them off a diffent model?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm...sounds like I'm not alone. I mainly raised issue as previous ride (bmr r1100s) had brembos and it never made any noise. And the front pads lasted until I changed them at 47,500 miles (and that included doing much canyon activity). Anyway, Adrian I just filed in two, maybe 1/8-inch-deep, grooves at right angles (idea was to allow dust to escape) and it worked. Braking was unaffected, but rest of the story...it was only used for the street riding and bracket (drag) racing. So wondered if this would help/cure Sazook. But after my experience with Bmer, why should we have to?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I feel like I"ve been noticing a squeal, almost like a ringing noise, coming from the brakes. However there seems to be another, similarly pitched tone that I've noticed - mostly on accel from stop, but maybe also on decel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Beaker, Never counted, but would go two rears to one front. Best rear was 8500 miles; and bike ended with about 75,000 miles.

GQ4Life, Pads and bike were all OEM, except tires changed from sporty (M3) to sport tour Metzeler roadtec Z8 for extra mileage.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Beaker, Never counted, but would go two rears to one front. Best rear was 8500 miles; and bike ended with about 75,000 miles.
I meant the ones on your feet but that was good info too;)
The only way my pads would last that long would be if I put my feet down instead of using the brakes. Best I've managed on previous bikes is about 18 thou on the front.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beaker, Ha! Sorry...yeah I was quite impressed as the bike was a bit of a chunk weight wise. My personal best tire miles was 18,500 on front of Electra Glide. I got 10,000 miles on first rear which picked up a 10mm bolt right thru the tread (weird). Irritatingly, every rear since has only been able to reach 7500 to 8000 while not riding any different (can you hooliganize on an Ultra Classic?). Anyway, the Gixis is the most entertaining bike I've had in years.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine started squeeling after a few thousand kms, so I took the pads out and put brake lube on the back then put them back in. That eliminated the squeeling for a few rides but then it returned louder than ever. If I knew of an easy cheap fix to eliminate the squeel I'd do it but I won't stress over it. It's only a minor annoyance as far as I'm concerned, as long as the brakes work reliably that's what really matters.

And as stated above, I only get the squeel in the final few feet of a stop.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I find the breaks squeeling are actually ... sort of nice. Once you go for the performance stuff, it's the sort of trade-off you get to do..

Any time you hear breaks squeeling at a red light, it's always from a modified car/bike.. As mentioned earlier, track/sport break pads typically squeel. It's not a bad thing. It's not as if it would give any real issue.

I was surprised at first to get it from a factory bike, but hey, we get Brembos from factory, which is pretty neat. I won't spend a minute to cure this... :D

Take care!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I find the breaks squeeling are actually ... sort of nice. Once you go for the performance stuff, it's the sort of trade-off you get to do..

Any time you hear breaks squeeling at a red light, it's always from a modified car/bike.. As mentioned earlier, track/sport break pads typically squeel. It's not a bad thing. It's not as if it would give any real issue.

I was surprised at first to get it from a factory bike, but hey, we get Brembos from factory, which is pretty neat. I won't spend a minute to cure this... :D

Take care!
Brakes squealing at a stop light does not make me think of a modified car/bike, i would think there is something wrong with it

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is another topic that I'm surprise to see pop up only now on this forum! I'd think the gixxes 1000s likely all squeel when breaking.

Brakes squealing at a stop light does not make me think of a modified car/bike, i would think there is something wrong with it

aha! I guess it depends of 'how' it squeels. A metallic squeeling is generally common on 'sport' break system. And I can tell mine performs very well, I am fairly confident they are just fine. I have seen brand new 3000$+ after-market big break Brembo kits squeel on cars before.

Of course the most important is that you like your own ride. By all mean, try to fix this if it bugs you... I am just bringing a different opinion to the table..

I am sure there are some break pads that could minimize this, but may be less (or more maybe) efficient at breaking.

Peace!!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
My brakes don't squeal at all. I feel that I am missing out here.

I've spent 20 minutes Googling Brembo squealing, and it there on every bike Forum from Apprilla to Moto Guzzi and probably every other ones too to Zundapp.

The only positive one was to file a small chamfer on the pad leading edges, and one bloke said it lasted 750 miles till the low speed squeak returned on his HD.

The other point repeatedly mentioned is bedding the brakes in from new to ovoid glazing and continue the brake application in a firm manner.
As these Brembo's are described as a racing product, so a weak application while filtering to a stop in traffic day after day obviously glazes the pad surface.

I am assuming that the pads are genuine Brembo (the back surface has the Brembo logo), and not just the calipers and some other Suzuki choice for the pads.

Rob.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Never any squealing on mine with originals or EBC-HH .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts