GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding on Saturday, approaching a roundabout I apply front brakes and gradually let them out but also keeping pressure while still tipping in.

As I start leaning over, it feels as if the brakes just let go and the bike pushes wide. I put it down to accidently touching throttle as I entered the corner, but the bike didn't surge or rev higher.

Riding today, it feels as if the brakes are very dull and feel vague. Initial bite is non existent and I have to pull harder than normal to get less than optimal braking...

The bike now has just over 2000kms on and I had my first spirited ride on Saturday (time constraints) . I am sure the brakes are bedded in as well by now.

I have also read of all the brake issues on the forum (oem brake pads, possible air in lines, etc) but I am not sure if these apply to my situation.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Were you riding hard? Where the brakes heated up? Hard to do on the street. But if you did have air then the heat could cause that.

EBC HH brake pads are recommended highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
stock brakes pads are useless...wouldn't be surprised if its glazed the pads....also very common for the system to have air trapped it it from the factory....i've owned about 15 Suzuki's over the years about 10 from new and they all had some air in either the front of rear....dealer should have checked them at the 1st service

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wonder if you went over a slick spot that caused the ABS system to intervene?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stock brakes pads are useless...wouldn't be surprised if its glazed the pads....also very common for the system to have air trapped it it from the factory....i've owned about 15 Suzuki's over the years about 10 from new and they all had some air in either the front of rear....dealer should have checked them at the 1st service
I'm hoping it is just the pads. They feel like wood on wood at the moment!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if you went over a slick spot that caused the ABS system to intervene?
Definitely not no. I managed to do exactly the same in a few other corners.

·
Registered
430 Posts
can anyone here answer this...

stock pads i need full hand to brake hard enough for abs to kick in..

EBC pads... two fingers enough to make abs kick in?

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you pull your brake lever VERY softly/slowly, do you feel a 'click' where the piston or caliper is maybe getting stuck? I had similar issues to you - brakes seemed great for awhile, then they kind of sucked. I brought the bike to the dealer for the 'click' and they noted that braking was less than ideal, and blamed it on glazing. They said they cleaned off the glaze to return it to normal, and I almost couldn't stop leaving the parking lot. Ever since that first click the front brake felt like wood.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stock pads are crap i put in ebc hh much better
yep change out the crappy stock pads.. I'm just about to fit a set of SBS sintard pads.
Seems like this is general consensus... New pads it is then!

If you pull your brake lever VERY softly/slowly, do you feel a 'click' where the piston or caliper is maybe getting stuck? I had similar issues to you - brakes seemed great for awhile, then they kind of sucked. I brought the bike to the dealer for the 'click' and they noted that braking was less than ideal, and blamed it on glazing. They said they cleaned off the glaze to return it to normal, and I almost couldn't stop leaving the parking lot. Ever since that first click the front brake felt like wood.
I havent noticed a "click" yet, will go have a look/feel a bit later when I get a gap. Did you replace your pads after this episode?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Were you riding hard? Where the brakes heated up? Hard to do on the street. But if you did have air then the heat could cause that.

EBC HH brake pads are recommended highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was riding a bit hard yes, it was the first time I had the time and space to ride like this. I normally only commute.

this morning the brakes felt fine initially, but gradually got worse the further I rode...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had them replaced during lunchtime. Below are what they looked like. Had perfect braking for 2000km's and then one spirited ride later they are glazed over...

·
Registered
156 Posts
can anyone here answer this...

stock pads i need full hand to brake hard enough for abs to kick in..

EBC pads... two fingers enough to make abs kick in?
I was the same on stock pads...tried short levers and simply didn't have confidence when getting a move on so refitted the long levers.
Changed pads and bleed the brakes and straight away a long lever was overkill...now happy to 1 or 2 finger brake on short levers.

Back brake is also glazing badly now so it's next for new pads.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I put the Vesrah pads in my gsxr calipers, and the improvement was unreal.

That being said, the Vesrah's are not going to last 10-15,000 miles like the stock pads.

Its a great trade off, for sure. I think the Japanese are reluctant to spec a pad that would be worn out in 5000 miles.

The Vesrah brand is a much better pad than ebc, and cost is similar. This is the pad I bought, and when these wear out, I'll buy another set.

Vesrah - VD-9031RJL - RJL High-Performance Race Brake Pads Kawasaki ZX-10R 2016 | eBay

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had SBS pads installed. I had them on my Speed Triple and got decent life out of them as well as good braking power. So far they feel good in the Gixxes, Just happy to be able to brake again!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will have a look this afternoon and get back to you! ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts