GSXS 1000 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I think its all about liability. They cant have you going out and locking up the brakes, opening the throttle too much, etc. Look at the bikes in this class. Mostly going to be purchased by middle age guys who have a lawyer on speed dial.

You could hear them in court..."Your honor, we first fitted a state of t e art abs system, then we added a very mild compound pad....After that, traction control...see, we did all we could do."

·
Registered
285 Posts
lack of bite

good-vs bad means one is defective, and thats not true here. The stock pads have a low friction rating. If a person is coming off of an sv 650, you'll enjoy the stock brakes. If you've felt a good system, then not so impressive.

Bedding in does not change the friction rating, so it really wont do much in this instance.
After 12 years on an SV1000S I find the standard brakes on the GSXS fantastic in comparison.As am so used to very ordinary braking. Am slowly starting to come to grips with owning a bike with modern brakes. By the time I do and the pads are shot I will be talking to Paul Freer at chain reaction in Perth WA as to an alternative. However I do feel that the standard brakes and suspension suit the bike well and at 5k to 10k cheaper than some of the other choices I do feel that Suzuki has done well to give us so much bike for such reasonable money

·
Registered
285 Posts
sintered pads ?

You'll want the sintered. Like this:

Vesrah RJL Race Brake Pads VD 9031RJL 2 Sets Both Calipers 675R GSX R RSV4 RC8 | eBay

These are all over ebay. Watch the listing as some of them appear to be lower priced, but only include one calipers worth of pads.
Tried sintered pads on a ZZR1100 back in the 90's to try and improve on the lousy stock ones , they were brilliant if at the track , but they never really got hot enough to work on the street and on cold wet days were almost missing in action.
So am very dubious of trying again . But maybe it was just whatever brand the mechanic fitted weren't any good ? Any thoughts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Vesrah has several different sintered pad compounds. Yes, if you ended up with a race compound, then you do have that heat issue you are talking about. As you said, you cant keep them hot enough, on road.

This specific pad wont act that way. I've done the same with pads before, and it is annoying, to say the least..I wouldn't do that to my worse enemy! 4tune, I was running that caliper on my sv 650, and I believe I had the same pad you are talking about. When hot, it was awesome...the two times I ever got it hot. I, too, will never run race pads on a street bike as thats what happens.

If you scroll to the bottom of this link, it shows how each compound reacts to heat. All brake pads do that initial ramping, but notice how this compound stays very near the same, no matter the heat.

https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/pro...ucts_id=469&osCsid=rvig91qv43is8qcc3m94qakhq0

Notice how the rjl stays nice and steady. The srjl does not.

·
Registered
334 Posts
After 12 years on an SV1000S I find the standard brakes on the GSXS fantastic in comparison.As am so used to very ordinary braking. Am slowly starting to come to grips with owning a bike with modern brakes. By the time I do and the pads are shot I will be talking to Paul Freer at chain reaction in Perth WA as to an alternative. However I do feel that the standard brakes and suspension suit the bike well and at 5k to 10k cheaper than some of the other choices I do feel that Suzuki has done well to give us so much bike for such reasonable money
My SV braked every bit as good as this....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Fitted EBC HH today and went for a spin. Noticed the difference straight away, more initial bite and power.

Only £40.72 inc delivery for full set from Demon Tweaks Ebay shop.

EBC HH Front Brake Pads For Suzuki 2012 GSX-R1000 L2 FA447HH | eBay
Brilliant mate.
How do the new pads feel?. Some report a gritty feel at the brake lever and a noisy braking action. I suppose they will need a little bedding in but please let us all know how they perform, this front brake issue is a must sort issue for me.
Cheers pal.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,879 Posts
Brilliant mate.
How do the new pads feel?. Some report a gritty feel at the brake lever and a noisy braking action. I suppose they will need a little bedding in but please let us all know how they perform, this front brake issue is a must sort issue for me.
Cheers pal.
They didn't feel or sound any different but just worked better straight away.
Bedding in? they seem OK now after about 40 miles.
I gave them a slightly firm squeeze and felt the back wheel lifting.
I am well pleased for the money.

·
Registered
451 Posts
If you guys ever want to send that front brake up into the next dimension of performance, after replacing the pads, go ahead and find a Brembo front master cylinder from a ducati 1098. Its the 18/19 size. 150-200 dollar range is typical.

They pop up on ebay from time to time, and you would not believe how well they match up with these calipers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i demo'd a blue gsx-s1000abs and the brakes were really soft, to the point i was considering not buying the bike. i ended up buying a black/red gsx-s1000abs, and they felt a little better when i rode it out of the dealership, but i was convinced i needed a master cylinder, steel lines, and new pads. then i rode it in the canyons and kept trying to break in the pads by breaking hard in intervals and of course into the corners. and low and behold, after 100 miles, i'm more than happy with the feel, braking power, and overall performance. so before you decide ot spend money on new components i recommend riding the bike for a few hundred miles and really test the brakes by applying them agressively (in a straight line of course and on a road where there is not alot of traffic and within your skill level, and certainly not abruptly, but in a linear way that tests the components but safely) on multiple occasions per ride, once the pads are broken in i suspect most of what you are worried about will go away. i'm very happy with the brakes now, after only about 130 miles of canyon riding. hope this helps

·
Registered
285 Posts
brakes

i demo'd a blue gsx-s1000abs and the brakes were really soft, to the point i was considering not buying the bike. i ended up buying a black/red gsx-s1000abs, and they felt a little better when i rode it out of the dealership, but i was convinced i needed a master cylinder, steel lines, and new pads. then i rode it in the canyons and kept trying to break in the pads by breaking hard in intervals and of course into the corners. and low and behold, after 100 miles, i'm more than happy with the feel, braking power, and overall performance. so before you decide ot spend money on new components i recommend riding the bike for a few hundred miles and really test the brakes by applying them agressively (in a straight line of course and on a road where there is not alot of traffic and within your skill level, and certainly not abruptly, but in a linear way that tests the components but safely) on multiple occasions per ride, once the pads are broken in i suspect most of what you are worried about will go away. i'm very happy with the brakes now, after only about 130 miles of canyon riding. hope this helps
We seem to be in the minority here but I am pretty happy with the brakes , all my brake points are way shorter than my previous bike on the track at ride days

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nah it just felt like it did cos it was going so much slower....ha ha
I tried different pads , braided lines , closing eyes , gritting teeth, the ole SV was a good fun machine , but mine didn't stop like the GSXS does
Your saying that is funny, and I'll bet its very true.

I had sv 1000 calipers and vesrah pads on my sv 650, and they were awesome. But, 70hp, 400lbs and much slower speeds have to help, too. But my memory says they were awesome in every way.

I think on this caliper we are splitting hairs. Stock is not horrible. But, if you compared them to a stock Concours 14, you realize theres room for improvement.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,879 Posts
Update on my posts #28 #30 .
I swapped the pads for EBC HH at 6800 miles.
I agree that the brakes are very good on this bike. However they need a firm pull to get them going.
Having now done about 100 miles on the new pads braking is even better, just a light two finger tweak of the lever gets a reaction and I feel more in control.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Fitted EBC HH today and went for a spin. Noticed the difference straight away, more initial bite and power.

Only £40.72 inc delivery for full set from Demon Tweaks Ebay shop.

EBC HH Front Brake Pads For Suzuki 2012 GSX-R1000 L2 FA447HH | eBay
I've used these on my SP2 and found them great on the road and track. They can lift the rear with a single finger with the SP setup. No fade, good initial bite, a bit noisier than the OEMs but does that matter. I'll probably be changing over in the spring when I'm riding it harder:)
And then I'll probably have to look at upgrading the fork springs:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've used these on my SP2 and found them great on the road and track. They can lift the rear with a single finger with the SP setup. No fade, good initial bite, a bit noisier than the OEMs but does that matter. I'll probably be changing over in the spring when I'm riding it harder:)
And then I'll probably have to look at upgrading the fork springs:D

Beaker, what you said about the fork springs may be part of the answer, too. Great brakes tend to overwhelm soft fork springs.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
They sure did with the Honda.
I'm not overly large:laugh: but a Hyperpro spring kit worked wonders.
Completely transformed the ride. Smoothed out the bumps and improved the braking cause you could absolutely bury the front end without risk of hitting the stops>:D

21 - 40 of 73 Posts