GSXS 1000 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just fo rpeople who search int he future. The ducati front master cylinder is available used, on ebay for around 200.00. Mine came wiht lever and reservoir.

They all look the same, but the master cylinder on the newest Ducatis is too small. The one we need, for these calipers is the 18/19 size. It comes stock on these bikes:

Ducati 1098 2008-2009
Ducati 1098 S 2007-2009
Ducati 1198 2009
Ducati 1198 R 2009-2011
Ducati 1198 S 2009-2011
Ducati 1198 SP 2011
Ducati 848 2008-2010
Ducati 848 Evo 2011-2013

Its not just more power, its the way you regulate the power. Best way I can describe it is like this.

You buy a new target rifle from the gun store. High end gun. You shoot it, and feel its trigger. Its good, but not outstanding.

You then take same gun and go to your gunsmith. He takes this trigger and does his thing,. Its polished and assembled to perfection....Thats how this ducati master feels paired up with the calipers we have. Will work well with abs bikes, too.

That master cylinder takes them to the "oh my god, you have to be kidding me" level. You'll want to take the month off and hold parades.celebrations. The fact we can do it for around 250.00 means I have to mention it. These calipers are really, really good. The stock pad and master cylinder wont let you feel it.

Brembo also makes an rcs master cylinder that is adjustable. I seriously dotnt see anyone wanting the optional setting, and this used method saves 200.00, or so.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Best thing I have ever put on a motorcycle brembo Rcs 19 master cylinder and new ebc epfa pads brakes for just over 400 pounds ( masters cylinder /new reservoir/ brembo mirror clamp /ebc pads / banjo bolt m10 /1mm thread plus mech work ) the brakes are now strong even bedding in !! in the wet weather we in the uk are having at the moment she now stops

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hmm, I haven't noticed anything outside of the rubber brake line and lever flex. I replaced the OEM levers with CRGs and that made a night and day difference. Later I'll get steel braided lines. Otherwise, the brakes are fine once the pads break in.

But then, I'm incredibly strong and have massive forearms so perhaps I put a bit more pressure in the squeeze than most.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For street riding, the brakes on mine are great.
My last bike was a ZX-14R, with front brakes that are about as good as it gets. These are not that far off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
OK, I paid more attention to the front brake on my ride yesterday. I think I understand now. There is some "squishiness" on the first part of the pull and then braking happens, but still with some "sponginess."

If not for this thread, I would have not noticed it. I stand by my statement that they work fine for me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Just to clear this up for me, are the brake pads the same pads used in 2011/2012 GSXR 1000 ?
Use the gsxr 600 and 750 part numbers for the brake pads. I dont think the gsxr 1000 got the brembo brakes until 2012, did it?

I do agree, The stock pads are not horrible by any means. I think this is done on stock bikes to make the front forks appear to be more stiff than they really are. If you use a high bite pad, the front end feels soft when braking.

I specifically sought out these calipers to fix my ninja 1000. Mostly for the look, but a big advantage is all the pads we have access to. You can run the pads from a ducati 1098 if you want to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Right new pads fitted, SBS sintered pads, used on the last 4 bikes so know how good they are, hopefully this will give the brakes the bite they are lacking, if not will fit the brembo radial master cylinder I had fitted to my GSR.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Right new pads fitted, SBS sintered pads, used on the last 4 bikes so know how good they are, hopefully this will give the brakes the bite they are lacking, if not will fit the brembo radial master cylinder I had fitted to my GSR.
Great Hutch.....please let us know how they perform when they have bedded in.
cheers Martin.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Still not really had the weather to really hammer on brakes, but what I can say is so much more feel with SBS pads, actually feel like pads are biting now, still considering fitting brembo radial master cylinder I have lying in shed.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
1,879 Posts
Ebc part number fa447hh
Correct.

Just for information some sellers are advertising EBC rear pads as part no.FA436HH which are in fact GSXR pads.
The part no. for our bike is FA174HH, just saying.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Ok guys...ordered meself a set of Ebc hh front brake pads . Hoping for a little improvement of the initial brake bite.
Gonna bed them in hard and see what we end up with.
£40 from Demon tweaks.
Will post the results.
cheers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well have finally fitted Brembo master cylinder and wow the front brakes are now excellent, as they should have been on leaving the factory, well happy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well have finally fitted Brembo master cylinder and wow the front brakes are now excellent, as they should have been on leaving the factory, well happy.
What one did you use?

I am running a cheap (by brembo standards) 18x19 from a 2008 ducati 1098s.

The feel, with this master cylinder and Vesrah pads is amazing. You can do the vesrah pads for about 100.00 and figure 150-200 for a used ducati master cylinder.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's the pics of mine

Best thing I have ever put on a motorcycle brembo Rcs 19 master cylinder and new ebc epfa pads brakes for just over 400 pounds ( masters cylinder /new reservoir/ brembo mirror clamp /ebc pads / banjo bolt m10 /1mm thread plus mech work ) the brakes are now strong even bedding in !! in the wet weather we in the uk are having at the moment she now stops

·
Registered
451 Posts
OK, so someone went all in! Well done!

The one I uses is cheaper, especially if you get it used. I used this one, and there is also a list of "donor bikes" to get it from. The 18x19 size matches up well with the 4 32mm pistons our calipers use. A good buy, if looking at used. Not so great if buying new.

Martinsmiths model costs more, but is an adjustable ratio model. Probably better, but @325.00 vs 150-200.

Brembo OE Front Brake Master Cylinder PR18/19 titanium without reservoir w/lever.61 - OPPRACING Products

·
Registered
451 Posts
His master cylinder is world class quality. The lever is what it comes with, believe it or not. Its brembo folding lever.

I actually bought the matching one for the clutch side...Its price is LOL

https://www.motomummy.com/master-cylinders/brembo-suzuki-clutch-lever/

I have size xxxl hands, and the brembo clutch lever is almost too far of a reach to be usable. Its not adjustable, and borders on useless for anyone that does not have 2xl hands. Its feel is wonderful, but....

41 - 60 of 73 Posts