GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody had problems with front brakes sticking on after fitting aftermarket levers?
ive just fitted titax levers (chose those because ive used them before on my gsxr & they seemed good quality-better than cheap Chinese crap & better value than the expensive ones).
its a good job I rode steady & not too far because the brakes stuck on & got hotter until the wheel locked & wouldn't move. the only way I could get home was to remove the pivot bolt on the lever to release the pressure & ride with no front brake.
I know its not the calliper pistons cause they've just been cleaned & move ok.
on the lever theres a barrel with a blind hole into which the master cylinder push rod goes & the only thing I can think of is that this isn't deep enough therefore applying pressure to the brakes even without the lever being pulled.
I can deepen the hole by a mm or so to try.
ive sent an email to titax explaining this could be a very serious & possible lethal issue but haven't heard back yet.
any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot to mention that you have to apply a bit of pressure onto the push rod even with the std lever to get the pivot bolt in & this doesn't seem any more with the titax lever. brakes bled & seemed ok in the garage. problem only occurs after using a few times. now im really worried about riding the bike, even with the std lever. keep thinking its going to lock up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is no plunger or channel on the titax lever. just a barrel with a blind hole that operates the master cylinder push rod.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Did you put the stock lever back on and try? You said to get home, you had to remove the pivot bolt, so seems like the problem is in the lever, not the brake system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had same near lock up experience with aftermarket lever install. The issue is the lever barrel + brake piston rod contact geometry. If the piston is unable to completely return to disengaged position (for whatever reason), a small amount of disc drag will result in accumulated heat and friction and finally lock up. I posted on this earlier and there are YouTube videos - search “brake lever crash.”
I am paranoid now and am sticking with stock levers. I also changed my pads and brake fluid fearing that the heat compromised those components. Discs seem ok. Please be very cautious.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I recently ordered the MZS off eBay for like $20. Shortly after, I've been reading multiple reports of these cheap levers locking up so I think I'll return it when it arrives. I did have clone levers on my GSXR back in the day though. On it, I went down in the twisties when I thought I pushed the front on a fast switchback but maybe the brake locked up because it was an usual crash. Hmmmm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts