GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Have a question regarding noise in the front on my 2018 GSX-S1000F. 10,600 miles. I have had it to Berts Mega Mall in Azusa, CA. I am being told that the noise I have when braking with front brake is normal. At low speed, like below 15 mph, pull front lever to stop like pulling out of a gas station. There is a clunk and a very slight pull to the right. After having them inspect my bike and also have a Suzuki rep inspect it afterwards, they tell me that all is good and the noise is normal. I call bull$hit on that! I have a noise when braking now that started about 3 months ago. I also now have a warped rotor on the right side, noise coming from the right front brake, a brake squeal actually and the slightest pull to the right when the noise occurs. To top it off, my 4000 mile Dunlop Q3+ is wearing poorly in front. So, I guess I am curious as to how many are experiencing this since it is normal by their standards? I was told that they compared other bikes in the shop and one new one to mine and said, yep - its normal for this unit. I have a FJR 1300ABS with 70,000 miles and have no noise or issues. 5 previous bikes and never anything like this! I am somewhat beside myself regarding the lack of consideration from Suzuki since I complained. I can not even get a copy of their findings which differ from the B.S. I have on my invoice from the dealer. I was on the phone with a lady from Suzuki who told me what was on the report but declined to give me a copy. She said they go through the dealer. Kinda leaves them off the hook when you cant deal with them. Anyone else experience a lack of concern from them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My feeling is air in the hydraulics causing the front right fork to tweek to the right when brake is applied as noise and rotor issue are on the right side. Higher speed negates the issue due to momentum and force on front tire. Seems to be uneven brake application to me to cause this weird situation. Had a close call today on the 405 freeway on Costa Mesa and ABS with front applied hard felt quite poor and stopping distance seemed far greater than normal braking. Was not a pleasant experience to say the least. Looking for a solution.

Thanks for any input...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey everyone. Have a question regarding noise in the front on my 2018 GSX-S1000F. 10,600 miles. I have had it to Berts Mega Mall in Azusa, CA. I am being told that the noise I have when braking with front brake is normal. At low speed, like below 15 mph, pull front lever to stop like pulling out of a gas station. There is a clunk and a very slight pull to the right. After having them inspect my bike and also have a Suzuki rep inspect it afterwards, they tell me that all is good and the noise is normal. I call bull$hit on that! I have a noise when braking now that started about 3 months ago. I also now have a warped rotor on the right side, noise coming from the right front brake, a brake squeal actually and the slightest pull to the right when the noise occurs. To top it off, my 4000 mile Dunlop Q3+ is wearing poorly in front. So, I guess I am curious as to how many are experiencing this since it is normal by their standards? I was told that they compared other bikes in the shop and one new one to mine and said, yep - its normal for this unit. I have a FJR 1300ABS with 70,000 miles and have no noise or issues. 5 previous bikes and never anything like this! I am somewhat beside myself regarding the lack of consideration from Suzuki since I complained. I can not even get a copy of their findings which differ from the B.S. I have on my invoice from the dealer. I was on the phone with a lady from Suzuki who told me what was on the report but declined to give me a copy. She said they go through the dealer. Kinda leaves them off the hook when you cant deal with them. Anyone else experience a lack of concern from them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My feeling is air in the hydraulics causing the front right fork to tweek to the right when brake is applied as noise and rotor issue are on the right side. Higher speed negates the issue due to momentum and force on front tire. Seems to be uneven brake application to me to cause this weird situation. Had a close call today on the 405 freeway on Costa Mesa and ABS with front applied hard felt quite poor and stopping distance seemed far greater than normal braking. Was not a pleasant experience to say the least. Looking for a solution.

Thanks for any input...
Hold your front brake and push down on your bars to compress the forks. (Might have to be aggressive to really sink them down) If you hear the clunk noise pull up on the the bars to see if it does it again. If so your head bearings will need adjustment. Had to do mine and just passed 4000 miles on the odometer.
I had the brake squeal as well and it went away after I freed up the 12 bobbins on the front rotors and sanded the pads down to remove some glazing. I will be upgrading my pads over the winter so it was a temp fix for the season.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hold your front brake and push down on your bars to compress the forks. (Might have to be aggressive to really sink them down) If you hear the clunk noise pull up on the the bars to see if it does it again. If so your head bearings will need adjustment. Had to do mine and just passed 4000 miles on the odometer.
I had the brake squeal as well and it went away after I freed up the 12 bobbins on the front rotors and sanded the pads down to remove some glazing. I will be upgrading my pads over the winter so it was a temp fix for the season.
So are you saying this is the steering head bearings that need adjustment? I also have this clunking when I compress and pull up on the forks on my 08 B King. Now I assume I need to have the steering head bearings checked.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Your issue is not normal. No bike should do that. Can you get a 2nd diagnosis from another Service Dept?

·
Registered
35 Posts
So are you saying this is the steering head bearings that need adjustment? I also have this clunking when I compress and pull up on the forks on my 08 B King. Now I assume I need to have the steering head bearings checked.
Yes if you are getting the clunk noise on compression and decompression of the forks there is a high probability of it being loose steering head bearings. Mine were tightened to factory spec and the noise is gone. The clunking noise was quite loud and I could also feel it in the handlebars.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
if the head bearings are okay it is also possible the brake pads are clicking in the callipers. Check for free play in the pads, backwards and forwards.
I think you first port of call should be to sort out that warped disc. It could be the cause of everything. The only real thing is to go through everything on the front end. Suspension settings, fork oil levels, head bearings, calliper pistons (are they sticking, need a clean?) Get the disc bobbins cleaned up. I don't think it will be a hydraulic pressure difference in the system, unless the brakes have been apart and there is air in one side but then the brake lever would be spongy

·
Registered
244 Posts
hi, it sounds likely your getting fobbed off by your current mechanics, yes do the above mentioned st/ head bearing check, but its best checked properly via having the bike raised via frame lifting, then its a very simple and importantly accurate way to assess its condition, the proper adjustment and torquing of the strg head bearing is vital for safe operation, your brakes require servicing to remedy either stuck caliper piston/s and or air in them, a warped disc should be replaced as it will never correct itself, find a good shop /mechanic, get a full report in writing from them and confront the dealer who sold you the bike, i apologise on behalf of reputable mechanics for your bad experiences

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you have a warped disc you will get a clunk as the disc knocks against the pads. You'll also have poor braking power due to the distance the pads have to move to grip the disc. If you're unsure, swap the disc side to side and see if the issue moves with the disc. Try one thing at a time until you are sure you've eliminated the problem.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Contaminated pads?

<SNIPPED STUFF>I am being told that the noise I have when braking with front brake is normal. At low speed, like below 15 mph, pull front lever to stop like pulling out of a gas station. There is a clunk and a very slight pull to the right.
As others have said, the "clunk" is most likely your head bearings needing tightened up. Simple enough. Most bikes need some tightening up at some point in their lives. A real mechanic can handle this easily for you. (Don't go back to the dealership you went to. They apparently don't have a clue.)

I have a noise when braking now that started about 3 months ago. I also now have a warped rotor on the right side, noise coming from the right front brake, a brake squeal actually and the slightest pull to the right when the noise occurs. To top it off, my 4000 mile Dunlop Q3+ is wearing poorly in front.<SNIPPED STUFF>
It sounds like your right, front brake pads got contaminated. Did you have a fork oil leak on that side? That is the #1 most likely issue. Here's how it goes: Your fork leaks oil (could be a dirty fork seal or a nick in the fork leg which damaged the fork seal.) Oil starts to seep out. Gravity pulls it down to your brake caliper over time. Oil gets on the brake pads. The pads get contaminated by the oil and the brakes don't work as well. You brake harder to make up for the slippage and the harder braking causes more heat on the contaminated side due to slipping and 'grabbing' of the pads on the rotors. Over time, the oil starts to cause the pads to 'stick' and the brake pistons to not retract properly after you release the brakes. The heat from the pads rubbing against the rotor lead to a warped rotor. And the brakes start to 'squeal' from the fork oil contamination & overheating. One problem (leaking fork oil) leads to more problems (slipping/weak/snatchy braking, then overheating of the rotor, then 'sticking' pads that fail to fully retract, then warping of rotor, then squealing when brakes are applied, etc.)

What to do? First off, fix the fork leak. Don't have one? Then something got on the brake pads or rotors and contaminated them on that side. I obviously don't know what it was, but that's what happened. Fork leak is the #1 issue, so that's the assumption here. With 'upside' down forks (like the GSX-S has) some people don't even realize or notice they have a fork seal leak, but it's there. (See attached picture of what a fork oil leak looks like; I couldn't find a pic of a leak on 'upside-down' fork legs like the GSX-S has, but you should be able to get the idea from the pic of what to look for.)

First, you have to fix the fork oil leak and ensure fork leg has proper oil level again.

Next, get new pads (for BOTH front rotors). Get two new rotors (can't really just do one side otherwise it won't match the other rotor; braking could get funky with one old rotor on one side and a new rotor on the other. But if money is tight...you can just do one side and hope for the best.)

Pull the calipers; remove the old pads; Get a can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, and spray and brush the calipers and pistons thoroughly, to remove all the contamination. Spray/clean all the pins and parts that will be reused. Put in the new pads. Replace the rotors. Ride easy to bed the new pads into the new rotors. After 100 to 200 miles, brakes will be great again. No squealing or pulling.

If you DID (do?) have a fork seal leak, that COULD account for your 'clunking', too. Right fork leg oil leaks out, now there is not enough oil in the fork leg to dampen things and metal parts are rubbing/hitting metal parts in that fork leg causing 'clunking' noise. Not good.

If you aren't "MECHANICAL", you need to find a GOOD independent motorcycle mechanic. I would NOT go back to the dealership you went to the first time. They obviously are not very good if they are telling you all your symptoms are fine/normal. You know it is not. This should be an EASY diagnosis and fix for a REAL mechanic. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It's frustrating when our bikes aren't operating normally. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback. I will be checking it out next weekend, thoroughly. I appreciate all the input and will post my findings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same exact issue in every way described. Only happened when it was hot out though and haven't experienced it since it cooled off. Excited to see what another mechanic says about the issue. It started at roughly 12k miles for me.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Steering stem bearing torque is out of spec. Happens to all my bikes. Road racing for 17 years I am very hard on the front brakes even just for daily riding. Result is my steering bearings always develop slack. Pretty easy to correct, lift bike up under is just enough to get front wheel off the ground, loosen top triple clamp bolts and steering stem nut. The two collar nuts are located under the top triple clamp. Loosen the top jam nut, tap the lower one slightly to tighten, temporarily tighten top stem nut and give it the side to side test. Too tight it'll drag and you'll feel the resistance, too loose and it'll fall easily left or right. Account for the cables and wiring that will affect the feel. Once you reach a happy feel tighten it all up. If it is to tight you'll feel it through a turn the bike will tip in and not want to follow through very well. Very easy to over torque the cheap caged ball bearings Suzuki uses in the steering stem.

Service manual shows a procedure but you'll need the spring tool to do it their way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely unacceptable for any bike. You are being had. Have it serviced by another dealer. Pay for the service and bring the results directly to Suzuki?

No one touches my bikes or cars but me for a reason.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Every bike I own I put a white mark on the steering nut and threads to help keep track if it’s getting loose. I also have a stand that elevates the front and back and I pull and push forks from the bottom to see if there is any free play from the steering head. I surprised you don’t mention pulsating brake lever from the wrapped rotor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts