GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just purchased a used GSX-S 1000f, it is amazing. However, when i took it out for the first spin when I hit 100mph+ the front end wobbles. Anyone else have this problem? I'm hoping it is only the front wheel that needs balancing or the bearings.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Make sure your not holding the bars too tight. When I flashed my track bike and went from 170whp to 199whp I throughly thought something was wrong with the right. Then my friend mentions your may be holding the bars too tight. And I was. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Was this wobble experienced when going straight or were you slightly banked over in a high speed sweeper? If the profile of the rear tire has been worn flat from lots of straight up commuting, it will feel like front end wobble when being slightly leaned over at speed. If it felt like wobble at 100 and you were straight up heading straight then check forks are tight in triple clamps.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Make sure your not holding the bars too tight. When I flashed my track bike and went from 170whp to 199whp I throughly thought something was wrong with the right. Then my friend mentions your may be holding the bars too tight. And I was. Just something to think about.
29 hp gain with a flash..anything can happen in the interweb.....added a dynojet sticker to my bike a long time ago gained 54 hp

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ah, still not using a singular period I see.

It wasn't just a flash. Go read up on the new superbikes sport. I have a 2015 R1 and a 2016 ZX10R. Both make around 165-170 stock. Euro bikes make around 180 stock. Once you delete the cat, no need for full exhaust as the headers are full titanium already (higher spec on the zx10), and flash the ecu, the bikes are making well over 190whp. Add a high flow air filter and and race gas with a flash for it, your making over 195 whp. The R1 makes a bit less peak power, but makes more power under the curve. Nels at two whee dyno works flashed my zx10 and superbike unlimited flashed the R1. https://2wheeldynoworks.com/kawasaki/

Just read about the zx10 at that link and don't make me quote the part where he says 30whp gains are not uncommon.

Back on topic now i hope. As I was simply trying to point out this bike may be more powerful than the op is used to or otherwise he was apprehensive going that speed and was gripping the bars to tight.

·
Registered
98 Posts

It wasn't just a flash. Go read up on the new superbikes sport. I have a 2015 R1 and a 2016 ZX10R. Both make around 165-170 stock. Euro bikes make around 180 stock. Once you delete the cat, no need for full exhaust as the headers are full titanium already (higher spec on the zx10), and flash the ecu, the bikes are making well over 190whp. Add a high flow air filter and and race gas with a flash for it, your making over 195 whp. The R1 makes a bit less peak power, but makes more power under the curve. Nels at two whee dyno works flashed my zx10 and superbike unlimited flashed the R1. https://2wheeldynoworks.com/kawasaki/

Just read about the zx10 at that link and don't make me quote the part where he says 30whp gains are not uncommon.

Back on topic now i hope. As I was simply trying to point out this bike may be more powerful than the op is used to or otherwise he was apprehensive going that speed and was gripping the bars to tight.

Good point! Even with all my experience, I find myself sometimes tensing up on the bars and have to remind myself to relax my forearms and shoulders. That and look thru the turn.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mine did it on the ride home from the dealer, second mod i did was damper, have not had a wobble since, i'm just sayin

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you bought it from a dealer, I'd personally take it back and ask them to check it over. Mine is very solid (no sign of wobbles anywhere). The F is even more planted than the naked, so I'd say yours is unusual. If you bought it privately, you could check that your forks aren't twisted in the clamps or check for a bent fork tube.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very stable bike this so unusual for something like this. Most probably, I would agree, too tight a grip- relax those arms and hold on with your core and legs. See if its still doing it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I aslo agree with several of the above comments....
Gripping too tight was a mistake a used to make a higher speeds......I actually didn't notice until my right shoulder started giving me some spasms one day and a I realized while riding "I am squeezing the **** out of these handlebars". I loosened my grip....no issues since.

This bike, however, was very stable for me above 100mph. I actually surprised me how good it was at those speeds...not the best ever but pretty good.

Steering damper does help.....I'm personally a big fan of them but this is one of the first bikes ive owned where I could have easily lived without one.

Finally, to extract the maximum horsepower from your sticker you must make sure you got the right one for you bike.....they are model specific and should be applied by an official stikerer

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

yes the link does say 30 hp gains are not uncommon....witch tells me there few and far between........ your saying you have 190 hp because the link sayes if you do this this and this your at 190.....you must have your personal dyno sheet
with your bike numbers....the answer is no you dont....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Also OP check that when you handle bars are straight, so is your wheel. I was talking to a fellow rider a couple track days ago, and he was telling me about how he bought a brand new CBR600RR that was still in the crate. Somehow when the dealer put the bike together or maybe in shipping, the front wheel was tweaked and was not lined up with the clip ons. He had some pretty scary moments until he figured that out. But what made me think if that is he said the bike would wobble at high speed, it felt like the front wheel wasn't round. If that makes any sense.
@LEAVEITSTOCK; Now if you don't have anything constructive to add to this **** thread, bugger off.

And FYI, I have dyno sheets for both bikes. Go do your own research because you obviously have a lot to to learn. It will take the average person only a few minutes. The new class of super bikes are all putting down over 190 whp unrestricted and tuned. I am not cluttering the op's thread anymore with your nonsense. This is a gsx-s forum. Since you have arrived here you have done nothing but talk **** to people. No body can outride t/c on this bike, you misspelled ignorant, etc. etc. Relax and try to be happy, we are all trying to learn about the GSX-S, not prove anything to anyone.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You said "used"..if so, how many miles, and whats the front tire like?

Ive taken unbalanced tires up to 150, without issue, but odd wear can give funny sensations at 65.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I had a new front tyre fitted last summer which wasn't balanced properly.
It was fine up to about 70mph and then the wheel would physically start to jump up and down (not side to side) I pushed it on a bit faster and it just got worse and worse until I chickened out and slowed back down again.
As you can imagine. I was straight back to the tyre fitters to get it sorted out.
Hopefully yours is just the same and a little more careful balancing will give the same result!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you everyone. I'm going to take it in, balance the tire, check the bearings, forks, and if that doesn't do it I'll put a steering damper. Thank you again.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Also OP check that when you handle bars are straight, so is your wheel. I was talking to a fellow rider a couple track days ago, and he was telling me about how he bought a brand new CBR600RR that was still in the crate. Somehow when the dealer put the bike together or maybe in shipping, the front wheel was tweaked and was not lined up with the clip ons. He had some pretty scary moments until he figured that out. But what made me think if that is he said the bike would wobble at high speed, it felt like the front wheel wasn't round. If that makes any sense.
@LEAVEITSTOCK; Now if you don't have anything constructive to add to this **** thread, bugger off.

And FYI, I have dyno sheets for both bikes. Go do your own research because you obviously have a lot to to learn. It will take the average person only a few minutes. The new class of super bikes are all putting down over 190 whp unrestricted and tuned. I am not cluttering the op's thread anymore with your nonsense. This is a gsx-s forum. Since you have arrived here you have done nothing but talk **** to people. No body can outride t/c on this bike, you misspelled ignorant, etc. etc. Relax and try to be happy, we are all trying to learn about the GSX-S, not prove anything to anyone.
yes some new bikes list 190.... but your claim is..your bikes gained 30 hp because other dyno sheets on other bikes got those numbers......you used the same parts thus you can claim same results....those numbers advertised from pro shops had at least 60 dyno runs or more to get those numbers and its all top end, high rpm power.....very very few products yield the power advertises just by installing on a bike...please post your dyno results on your 2 bikes showing a 30 hp gain....thanks...im relaxed please prove me wrong

1 - 20 of 45 Posts