GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Believe this subject has been touched before in this forum. The brake line holders are rivetted in. They are not removable preventing the fender from being taken out with the wheel in place.

Now, given you are going to trash it anyway, you may consider drilling them out and probably fender can be removed, but means you would have to think another way of mounting them on the new one, if not wanting to remove wheel.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Yep! True
But then you will probably want to fit a new one so the wheel will have to come out anyway.
The rivets are a pain and would be much better if they were bolted in. If you are thinking of doing a repair you might want to consider replacing them for bolts as part of the repair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Remember, bolts will have to be very short so won't touch the wheel, but let us know how you do. I'd be interested in the results.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My front fender cracked near mounting holes and needs replaced...….can it be done without removing front wheel?

cheers
Believe this subject has been touched before in this forum. The brake line holders are rivetted in. They are not removable preventing the fender from being taken out with the wheel in place.

Now, given you are going to trash it anyway, you may consider drilling them out and probably fender can be removed, but means you would have to think another way of mounting them on the new one, if not wanting to remove wheel.
I have just replaced my front fender with a carbon one....NO the front wheel does not have to be removed, i drilled out the rivets with a small drill bit on both sides no problem, undone the allen bolts thats holding fender in place, managed to squeeze old one out, and managed to squeeze new carbon one back in without taking the wheel out...you do think its gonna crack but its fine theres plenty of flex in them...obviously dont go mental when flexing it just enough to get it in.
Then i re-rivetted the brake lines to my carbon fender using black rivets.....looks awesome now....

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have just replaced my front fender with a carbon one....NO the front wheel does not have to be removed, i drilled out the rivets with a small drill bit on both sides no problem, undone the allen bolts thats holding fender in place, managed to squeeze old one out, and managed to squeeze new carbon one back in without taking the wheel out...you do think its gonna crack but its fine theres plenty of flex in them...obviously dont go mental when flexing it just enough to get it in.
Then i re-rivetted the brake lines to my carbon fender using black rivets.....looks awesome now....
Any pics? Was there much weight savings or mainly for looks?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any pics? Was there much weight savings or mainly for looks?
Trying to post pics but keeps saying i have used my quota...i wil try shortly....
Carbon one is alot lighter but i only done it for looks BUT my mudguard was broken by a shop....a long story...they denied it...a gen suzuki one for a phantom would probably of cost me a few hundred and then some...carbon one was £150 but i wanted some carbon goodies on it anyways.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Put a fender extender on mine, managed to put a screw in each side but couldn't get the drill at the centre, tried squeezing the guard off but no way so I will have to take the wheel off and slide the guard down. Stupid design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts