GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Anyone had their front fender off? Looks pretty thight in between the shocks, is it possible to get the fender removed without removing the entire wheel + brake calipers? :-o

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Martin is right..
you have to drop the front wheel out first. Then you can slide the fender down. It wont come out with the wheel in because the brake hose clips are in the way and riveted to the fender. A stupid design but we have to live with it

·
Registered
849 Posts
A stupid design but we have to live with it
For sure!!

I need to remove it install a fender extender and found out the wheel has to come off. No way was I going to drop the wheel as I don't have a proper front stand. I got the extender on but not as neatly as I could have done with the fender off. Royal PITA!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wonder if the fender would come out if the brake hose brackets were removable, as I had the same hassle. The fender extender I fitted looks as though it needs another two at least to be long enough to keep the road grime out, so I'll look at extending fender properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So then the fender has to go straight down? Are you sure there is room in between the brakecalipers? The rivets is just to drill out, and replace hose bracket on the new fender with new rivets.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
So then the fender has to go straight down? Are you sure there is room in between the brakecalipers? The rivets is just to drill out, and replace hose bracket on the new fender with new rivets.
I've never been able to take the front wheel off of any twin disc bike without removing the callipers, so yes, take them off too.

I would recommend if you want to be able to take the fender off without removing the wheel in the future drill and replace the rivets, just like you suggested, but to make a good job of it I would still recommend removing the wheel to get the fender off the first time. That will give you more room to drill and make a tidy job of it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That was my plan, remove the fender & drill out the rivets. Then see if it was removable with out the brackets, if so refit with one or two bolts to secure the brackets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts