GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Kayaba 43mm forks are used on any other Suzukis as I'm looking for cartridges & can find nothing for GSX S 1000. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yes, it is the same "size" as whats on the gsxr 1000.

Notice I put that in quotes. Diameter is the same, but we dont know about length. You'll be on your own with that one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm looking to replace the fork springs and rear shock spring to adjust for my weight. Nobody seems to have any info on what's needed. I did get some info from Suzuki today though. Front fork spring free length is 265mm or 10.5 inches. That's the only info he could provide. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've literally just come off ebay looking for Showa forks off a wrecked GSX-R.
I'm at the dealers Saturday for another test ride, I might take my tape measure with me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Having a go on the new SV. I really want a 2nd bike but I just cannot decide on what. Test rides so far, Sinnis Retrostar 250, lexmoto Michigan 125 (great fun)
Kawasaki ER6-F, Honda MSX and V-Strom.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Having a go on the new SV. I really want a 2nd bike but I just cannot decide on what. Test rides so far, Sinnis Retrostar 250, lexmoto Michigan 125 (great fun)
Kawasaki ER6-F, Honda MSX and V-Strom.
I am looking at the v-stroms at the moment also as our weather turns to crap it would be good to check out some trails around the area and give me something to ride during winter, let me know if you ride one and what u think , I'm still undecided on a 1000 or 650

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am looking at the v-stroms at the moment also as our weather turns to crap it would be good to check out some trails around the area and give me something to ride during winter, let me know if you ride one and what u think , I'm still undecided on a 1000 or 650
I've had a go on the 650 and I'm trying to blag a go on the 1000.
Thoughts on the 650 is it is very comfortable, lots of legroom and despite being quite tall I had no issues putting my feet on the ground. I'd probably bring the handlebars in a touch if it was mine as I was stretching a little bit. Screen was on it's lowest setting and the wind protection was ok, I'd probably be in a bubble if it was at it's highest.
Engine was very smooth and the whole bike felt quite light and the suspension is nice and soft so bumps, potholes and speed bumps didn't feel bad. The engine is more suited for town and mild road and you need a few revs to get her going. I think the 1000 would be a better all rounder. The Kawasaki Versy is supposed to be a bit better but I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've had a go on the 650 and I'm trying to blag a go on the 1000.
Thoughts on the 650 is it is very comfortable, lots of legroom and despite being quite tall I had no issues putting my feet on the ground. I'd probably bring the handlebars in a touch if it was mine as I was stretching a little bit. Screen was on it's lowest setting and the wind protection was ok, I'd probably be in a bubble if it was at it's highest.
Engine was very smooth and the whole bike felt quite light and the suspension is nice and soft so bumps, potholes and speed bumps didn't feel bad. The engine is more suited for town and mild road and you need a few revs to get her going. I think the 1000 would be a better all rounder. The Kawasaki Versy is supposed to be a bit better but I haven't tried that yet.
Cheers mate, it will be interesting to hear your comparison between the 2, I was to look and ride a 650 this weekend nearby but it has just sold

Ps sorry to hijack the thread on front forks ;)

Reactions: ackack

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back to forks, I have been told by our local Suzuki Fundi & the charts he sent me seem to confirm the the forks we have are from the '08 GSX R 1000. The length from the top of the fork cap to the centre of the wheel axle are within 5mm, 725mm I measured on my bike. Both are 43mm Kayaba also I believe the engine for our bikes is based on the '08 gixer, so it would appear to make sense. Can any one confirm this please?

·
Registered
974 Posts
i thought the engine was based on the K7 but that may be the same as an 08

·
Registered
541 Posts
i thought the engine was based on the K7 but that may be the same as an 08
5-8 were the same, you'll see different folk claiming a different year depending on which they think sounds best. Any minor differences in the original GSXR series throughout those years are more than washed out when you factor in the changes made for this bike.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Cheers mate
That explains why different reviewers described it as different years , I just thought they had no idea like me ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
In an age of "information technology " you wouldn't think it would be difficult to find a simple thing like "spring rate" on our bikes?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just shipped my forks and rear shock off to Race Tech for R&D. I would assume they will have some products available in a few weeks once complete. I have little hope that the rear shock is worth re springing being that there is no compression dampening adjustment. I'll probably just suck it up and have them build me one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone own an '08 gixer can confirm those sizes , 43mm diameter forks & 725mm fork length. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Two-word thread titles are more appealing.

A better question might be: why is this thread coming up as 'most active' when it only has 18 posts and has been dead for over 4 mos?

And now you've revived it! Doh!
Go sit in the corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts