GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't use them! Even if you could now which I do not see a mail in ecu option anymore. Guess they learned pretty quick you lock a persons ECU and it is not right they have no options left except buy another stock ECU or deal with these yahoos later on getting it back stock and unlocked.

I'm beyond pissed about this. They should at least put a NOTE:Disclaimer of some sort telling you about the lock out. I gave them two shots at making this mess right and it is still not right. Not even close down low in rpm range 2500k and below basically parking lot speed which I have to coast with my clutch engaged. Thing is unrideable otherwise with jerking and snatching chain. IMO their flash is one big fuel dump is it. Nothing smooth about it.

I've already contacted them and we are done doing business!

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
I think rapido bought a used ecu on eBay quite cheap I want to say like $100? If he sees he can correct me. But that may be worthwhile option. Hate to toot the horn, but if you wanted a safe bet, dano.

I don’t know what country you’re in tho. This makes sense if you’re in USA, but a lot of the members seem to be European based. I think gsxs is more popular there than the us. I’ve only seen one in person and he passed me on the highway once.

Edit again, I see it says Mississippi. I’d consider my first paragraph.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The more and more I research this reflash stuff the more I'm convinced it should be done on a Dyno , I'm not contradicting anybody as I'm new to this but iv been really looking into it as I'm putting a full yoshimura system on my 2019 bike . I'll see what my bike is like in a couple of weeks after its done , then I'll take it to be tuned if I think it needs it as I've also been told it won't . ( wheather that's true I'll find out soon .) Watch this space I might eat my words .but I think the only way I'm going to get to the solution is by my own actions as there is just to much opinions all over the internet and bike shops .

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I totally agree and I do all my racebikes that way. But I was cheap and stupid on the GSX. My dyno tuner earned me and he’s even a FTECU dealer. Live and learn.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone with a stock 2016 non-abs naked have a ecu lying around hit me up. I already tried my dealer hoping suzuki never took back the replacement I got under warranty. Nope they sent it back.

·
Registered
411 Posts
In my view just getting bike flashed is a bit hit and miss.
The bike really needs to be tuned on a dyno. Now anyone who really knows about tuning will tell you the same so don't be fooled.
No two bikes are the same even with exactly the same mods.
Like they used to say on that old tv show
BELIEVE IT OR NOT...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mine is flashed with FTECU no issues using the install kit for your bike. I'd like to have it dyno tuned though but will wait till I eventually cave and do exhaust. I used one of the provided maps as it fixes a few issues but doesn't give any real bumps in power that I could see. Also recently got the fuel cut turned off which is nice.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I get it, and I agree a dyno is the best way. But doesn’t seem many competent people want to ecu flash, just do what’s easiest which is commander.

I don’t think anyone though regrets the dano flash, you know it won’t be 100% perfect to our bike as they are slightly different from what I understand, but how my bike and others I can imagine. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

I would wager it’s dialed in **** close, only a dyno could get the extra couple hp’s each person basis. We probably wouldn’t even know the difference unless pro racer on a track.

It feels like a perfect riding bike that’s smooth with great power delivery.

If you take a chance I’d wager it on him. Safe bet. I only used him because he used to do my old gsxr flashes and very popular on the gsxr forums, but he didn’t let me or others down. He did fat finger one option on someone’s bike but he did rectify it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I get it, and I agree a dyno is the best way. But doesn’t seem many competent people want to ecu flash, just do what’s easiest which is commander.

I don’t think anyone though regrets the dano flash, you know it won’t be 100% perfect to our bike as they are slightly different from what I understand, but how my bike and others I can imagine. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

I would wager it’s dialed in **** close, only a dyno could get the extra couple hp’s each person basis. We probably wouldn’t even know the difference unless pro racer on a track.

It feels like a perfect riding bike that’s smooth with great power delivery.

If you take a chance I’d wager it on him. Safe bet. I only used him because he used to do my old gsxr flashes and very popular on the gsxr forums, but he didn’t let me or others down. He did fat finger one option on someone’s bike but he did rectify it.
Yes it’s probably close but when you think about it like this is that Suzuki would be using the same map on all the gsxs1000 in ecu.
The thing is that the 02 is keeping the engine in check in closed loop but once past closed loop in the upper rev range
The engine runs rich so your not getting the benefit of a properly tuned engine so if you want the best from your engine
Dyno is the way to go.
So the engine is lean on closed loop and rich once passed the closed loop.
I imagine that Dono is running the map a bit richer than needed just to cover any lean engine issues.
Anyhow if It was me and I couldn’t get to a dyno I would still just get the ecu flashed.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Freedom, it was $300 for the used ECU on Ebay.

Obviously a custom tune with a professional Tuner and a Dyno is optimum.

I told Dano I had Arrow headers, sent him my ECU to flash, instantly converted the bike night and day, "almost" perfect, no complaints, very satisfied with the results.

Now I have Paul's one-of-a-kind headers, I recently noticed there is no increase in acceleration from 7/8th throttle to full throttle, thus a slight lean condition at full throttle. Emailed Dano, am sending my ECU back for a tweak ($50), all good. Next to a custom Dyno tune, Dano´s generic flash is extremely good, and blows away stock any way you look at it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
300 is a tough cookie to eat. If I recall you fried your original in a crazy accident so worked out.

More I think about it, there’s not a chance in **** FTECU can’t not unlock the device.

Who makes a lock program without an unlock key? That’s bs. That has to be just so you will pay them to adjust it.

Anyone who understands ft ecu care to chime in? Is it really a pernebant lock. There’s no way for them to fix it? Essentially they broke your ecu.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Most likely it's the equipment investment, most are heavily invested in a very widely used cross platform system like the Power Commander. Wasn't long ago that flashing your ECU was unheard of and the PC was the way to go. Things are changing but I'd bet tuners have a lot invested in their current equipment and software to make the change so quickly. that said, there are two in my area when I'm ready to go, so that's what I'll do.

·
Registered
719 Posts
A mail in flash is not as bad as everyone says. Remember that our bikes all come from the factory with the same flash.... The same principle applies.
Suzuki created 1 map to cover all their bikes in a particular area.... each of our bikes are not individually dino tuned at the factory!!!

Dano's (or a well-made similar) Is the same concept. One map to cover all the bikes (that mail in). He just doesn't have to worry about any of the emission standards..... if Suzuki did not have to worry about it either they probably would have used a map more similar to his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
If they are all the same how come the 2016 is the worst culprit of Snatchy throttle ?. The 2019 which I have is not to bad . Is this a different map or have they done something else ?.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If they are all the same how come the 2016 is the worst culprit of Snatchy throttle ?. The 2019 which I have is not to bad . Is this a different map or have they done something else ?.
A couple main differences. Either for the 2017 or 18 model, when they put the little holes in the bottom of the crank case that reduce pumping losses, they changed the mapping. (5 more horse power!)

And new for 2019 they changed the throttle body, so it has what is essentially a throttle tamer installed on it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The snatchy throttle is primary a cause of incorrectly calibrated tps sensor. Likely maybe they took more care on later bikes than they did on the 2016. My flash helped the snatchy throttle, but it was really the tps sensor position that was way off that fixed it.

Also, I think what he was saying is that the map for 2016 is the same for all 2016 bikes, they don't tune each one individually. They just flash a batch of ECU's and slap them on during assembly. There might have been a different flash for later years of course, but all of that year should have the same flash. Caveat to this is where the bike was going. All US bikes (except maybe California models perhaps) would be flashed with the US version and the Euro compliant bikes would get theirs. But still, the point is that a mail in flash would be as effective from one bike to the next as the stock flash is from one bike to the next. Not perfect, but good enough and really close.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts