GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my '16 GSXS1OOOF started having problems. When you give it some throttle it cuts out, back it off cuts in, managed to get home using light throttle. I'm thinking it's a blocked fuel filter. No codes, stock standard 85000km, anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dumping the fuel and trying some "fresh" fuel is certainly a reasonable first step to try but I don't know...
I haven't removed the fuel pump on this model motorcycle but I know what it looks like. There's a mesh filter that takes on almost a bag type shape toward the bottom of the pump that can get "gunked" up but will it to the extent that it will cause your problem? There's clearly a fuel demand problem and you can test the pump with a pressure test and a discharge test. The pressure test requires a fuel pressure gauge. The discharge test checks to see how much fuel is discharged over a period of ten seconds or so.

I think what it boils down to is that if the fuel change doesn't work, how much time do you want to spend on this and do you have a pressure gauge? I can tell you this; if there is a failure with one of those tests, a blocked fuel filter is one of the possible causes so you could always just pull the tank and check it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dumping the fuel and trying some "fresh" fuel is certainly a reasonable first step to try but I don't know...
I haven't removed the fuel pump on this model motorcycle but I know what it looks like. There's a mesh filter that takes on almost a bag type shape toward the bottom of the pump that can get "gunked" up but will it to the extent that it will cause your problem? There's clearly a fuel demand problem and you can test the pump with a pressure test and a discharge test. The pressure test requires a fuel pressure gauge. The discharge test checks to see how much fuel is discharged over a period of ten seconds or so.

I think what it boils down to is that if the fuel change doesn't work, how much time do you want to spend on this and do you have a pressure gauge? I can tell you this; if there is a failure with one of those tests, a blocked fuel filter is one of the possible causes so you could always just pull the tank and check it.
Yeah going to check the filter. I've had a similar problem on my V Strom though not as bad , new tea bag filter solved the problem. Hope this is the same

·
Registered
727 Posts
I remember riding with some friends and after stopping to get fuel one of the bikes started to run really bad.
So we had to empty the fuel tank put in some fresh fuel and all was good in the world.
The first thing I would check is that the power valve is operating but it sounds like bad fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My fuel filter was black when i replaced it at 22000km, everyone should check the fuel filter imo, because if it gets clogged it will starve the pump for fuel and the pump will butn out and cost you 700$

·
Registered
345 Posts
My fuel filter was black when i replaced it at 22000km, everyone should check the fuel filter imo, because if it gets clogged it will starve the pump for fuel and the pump will butn out and cost you 700$
Sounds like good advice to me. How hard is it to check and replace the fuel filter?

·
Registered
2019 Suzuki GSX-S1000FZ ABS
106 Posts
Is this it:

Ref:11
15420-31J00
.STRAINER
Price: $32.34

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like good advice to me. How hard is it to check and replace the fuel filter?
you have to take the gas tank off, and take the fuel pump off, its at the bottom of the fuel pump. it took me maybe 1.5 hours from start to finish.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Something prompted me to read OldBob's post again. He typed "85000" kilometers. I thought I saw 8500. ****! Yeah Bob, pull the tank and look at that filter. Please let us know what happens and if it's photo worthy, send one!

Oh yeah and based on my experience, get a siphon pump with a thin hose (thin because of the flange underneath the fuel cap) and siphon as much fuel out as you can. Put a clean towel on the bench and place the tank on the towel to protect the finish. This fuel pump uses a float and wire fuel level sending unit so when you pull the pump out, be careful not to use so much force as to bend the wire. Out of gas on the side of the road with a gauge reading half full would suck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something prompted me to read OldBob's post again. He typed "85000" kilometers. I thought I saw 8500. ****! Yeah Bob, pull the tank and look at that filter. Please let us know what happens and if it's photo worthy, send one!

Oh yeah and based on my experience, get a siphon pump with a thin hose (thin because of the flange underneath the fuel cap) and siphon as much fuel out as you can. Put a clean towel on the bench and place the tank on the towel to protect the finish. This fuel pump uses a float and wire fuel level sending unit so when you pull the pump out, be careful not to use so much force as to bend the wire. Out of gas on the side of the road with a gauge reading half full would suck.
Ok, pulled the pump out, filter was putrid, not wanting to wait 3 weeks for a new filter, washed out the old one, good as new. Started bike sounds better. While I've got it apart changing the plugs, looks like a bugger of a job. Out of interest, when I first tried to start the bike it wouldn't go, kept showing a FI then realised you have to have the key surround in place otherwise the immobiliser stops it from starting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok, pulled the pump out, filter was putrid, not wanting to wait 3 weeks for a new filter, washed out the old one, good as new. Started bike sounds better. While I've got it apart changing the plugs, looks like a bugger of a job. Out of interest, when I first tried to start the bike it wouldn't go, kept showing a FI then realised you have to have the key surround in place otherwise the immobiliser stops it from starting.
I have tried looking for the fuel filter for our bike, but all I can found is a strainer on the fuel pump. Is the strainer the filter?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have tried looking for the fuel filter for our bike, but all I can found is a strainer on the fuel pump. Is the strainer the filter?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!
Yes, that's the filter. It's just a fuel sock on the bottom of the pump.

·
Registered
336 Posts
You've already got the tank off, so you'll only need to pull the airbox off the throttle bodies and remove each coil to access the spark plugs. Very simple job.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Reactions: 871JZ

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You've already got the tank off, so you'll only need to pull the airbox off the throttle bodies and remove each coil to access the spark plugs. Very simple job.
Done, didn't need to remove the coils, just pulled the leads off. Was about to go for a test ride and it started pissing down, ok next day and it's stopped raining so out I go

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Done, didn't need to remove the coils, just pulled the leads off. Was about to go for a test ride and it started pissing down, ok next day and it's stopped raining so out I go
250km ride bike now runs perfectly, full power restored, smooth power from zero, crawls along in 5th gear at 2000 RPM and accelerates smoothly

1 - 20 of 27 Posts