GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Does the bike have a fuel reserve switch?
2) How accurate is the miles left? if it says 2 miles do i have 12?

·
Registered
249 Posts
No reserve switch, as for accuracy there are too many variables to say it is highly accurate but I have made it to a fuel stop with 10 mile range showing.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I usually put 3 to 3.5 US gallons when I get 1 bar left. The tank's capacity is 4.5 US gallons, so I may have at least 1 US gallon left, about 40 miles left to look for a gas station. I have not done very long trips yet. I just went to Malibu, CA, about 90 miles round trip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve had my Katana down to 6km DTE.
Put 11.7 litres into a 12 litre tank (I’ll leave you imperial guys to do the conversion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Have a look at this, Sipping Fuel
That's pretty much the same as me. I get in the low mid 40s when hooning around, the best I've got has just topped 61 mpg on the A roads and this one was at a constant 80mph on the motorway, it gave about 55mpg. UK imperial of course.

I’ve had my Katana down to 6km DTE.
Put 11.7 litres into a 12 litre tank (I’ll leave you imperial guys to do the conversion).
No need, even I can work out that's about the size of a small coke can left. You're a braver man than me:LOL:
I'll filling mine up today, it'll be interesting to see what it takes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've estimated around 30km extra once it goes to zero based on how many litres I filled up with subtracted from the 17 litre capacity.

Reactions: AmigaBob

·
Registered
57 Posts
The "fuel reserve" thing is a throwback when motorcycles did not have trip odometers nor fuel gauges. In any case, the 'reserve' was nothing else than switching to a taller or shorter intake inside the tank. Sort of sucking through a shorter or longer straw from same container. An illusion really.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The "fuel reserve" thing is a throwback when motorcycles did not have trip odometers nor fuel gauges. In any case, the 'reserve' was nothing else than switching to a taller or shorter intake inside the tank. Sort of sucking through a shorter or longer straw from same container. An illusion really.
An illusion quickly shattered when you realise you forgot to turn the tap back to normal when you filled up last..........:eek:....the bike stutters, you reach down to the fuel tap to flick into reserve but its already there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think they have been programmed this way like cars have, to encourage you to fill up sooner rather than run out, I have driven my BMW at 0 miles for a while.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I managed to squeeze 15.85 litres into my tank after having 4 miles registered left in my tank.
Sounds like there is a decent safety margin built into the calculation on the display to me. Still not sure if I want to be the one to test it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Filled mine up after a ride today (I always fill to top and reset mileage), I had covered 185 miles, light flashing 1 bar, and 11 miles range showing, the average mpg was 56. So I filled up using 14.2 litres/3.13 gallons and that corresponded to 59mpg. Pretty sedate riding but I feel happy that I could achieve 140-50 miles per tank on a faster ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've run it so low on gas, that it was stalling.
When the 'fuel range' says 0, you can still ride about 20 km ( 12mi ) if your doing 80 k/hr (50 mph) and driving conservatively.
The dash is a joke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts