GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's with that metal basket insert in the fuel tank? Makes fill-ups a bear since you don't see the fuel level until it's already overfilled and the nozzle didn't shut off like it usually does - almost spilled all over my beautiful black sparkle finish. Is there a trick I'm not seeing? I haven't studied it closely, but is that piece easily removable? I guess this is to keep you from inadvertently putting in diesel?

·
Registered
309 Posts
It also helps reduce back splash when filling. I like it.

Hey it's only a 4.5 gallon tank so you may want to try going " half throttle" on the fuel nozzle.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I was at half-throttle or less, but by the time I saw the fuel come up around the nozzle, my brain reacted, I released the trigger, then what was in the nozzle ran out, it was almost over the top edge. Maybe I'm just slow. One of those little things I'll just figure out over time I guess.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes you will get used to it, I bet. My other bike does not have one of those little basket things and I have to be real careful to direct the nozzle toward the back of the tank or it splashes out. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just about every modern japense sportbike will have those filler baskets in the tank. Might as well get used to it sooner than later. Btw don't fill the bike up higher then that basket. Especially if your gonna let it sit after filling it up. A friend of mine made this mistake with his 2015 FZ-09 the other day.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just about every modern japense sportbike will have those filler baskets in the tank. Might as well get used to it sooner than later. Btw don't fill the bike up higher then that basket. Especially if your gonna let it sit after filling it up. A friend of mine made this mistake with his 2015 FZ-09 the other day.
What was the end result of over filling?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Must be a recent innovation - my '14 V-strom doesn't have it. I know it's a small thing, but thought I would ask. Overfilling can cause fuel to leak out the overflow tube, especially with that black tank in the sun.

Reactions: dima_cnj
1 - 7 of 7 Posts