GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking to a few exhaust manufacturers, gathering information regarding full systems for the GSX-S since info seems to be scarce at the moment. I will try to condense it for all the members that are considering getting a full system (because as most of us know, a slip-on isn't gonna do jack ****).

Here's what I've got so far:

Arrow

Note: Select worldwide on the ebay sidebar to see all of the options. Some are free shipping.

Headers/midpipe only - $713 to $740 (ebay) - replaces stock headers and midpipe. Keeps O2 sensor bung. Can be used with stock end can (very loud) or theoretically with any aftermarket slip on that fits the stock midpipe. 4-2-1 design.

Full System - $867 to $1000+ (ebay) - several options for the end can including shapes and colors. I saw one user on this forum that had fitment issues between the can and midpipe (too loose). Includes removable baffle.

Weight: 4.34 KG headers + 2.17 KG can
Rear wheel gains: +5.6 HP peak. +~10 Nm midrange (torque dip completely gone).

M4

Full system - $857 (sportbike track gear or ebay) - black can tucked under the footpeg for a more compact look. Built-in bungs for o2 and wideband sensors. 4-2-1 design. Removable baffle.

Weight: 12 lbs total
Rear wheel gains: +8.3 HP peak. +~8 Nm midrange (torque dip almost gone).

Yoshimura

R11 Full system - $1141 - $1250 (contact [email protected]) - clean system with 4 color options and a higher profile can up by the passenger footpeg. 4-1 design. Removable baffle. Ships from Japan (up to 2 weeks) but you only pay local shipping from CA.

Weight: 6.1 - 6.3 KG
Gains: +~2 hp peak. +~8 Nm midrange (torque dip still exists but it's much improved).

CS Racing

Full system - $715 (ebay) - TaylorMade style, has a small muffler box where the stock one is so it is possibly not as loud as the other systems which tend to be straight-through. 4-2-1 design. Removable baffle.

Weight: 6.3 KG
Gains: +4.7 hp peak. +~5 Nm midrange (torque dip still there).

Others

Akrapovic told me that they do not plan on making a full system for our bikes. I am waiting to hear back from Remus.

See the attached dyno graphs for each exhaust system. These were all supplied directly to me by the manufacturers except the M4 one, which I found on the forum (still supplied by M4). Keep in mind that they all use different scaling, units, etc. so it is not advised to compare them directly. For example, CS's graph is tall and narrow so it makes the torque dip look a lot worse than Arrow's which is short and wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the Arrow flattens out the torque powerband. Too bad about Akra not making one.
Yeah, that would be killer for roll-ons. Imaging getting more torque instead of less as you go from 5k rpm to 7k.

In addition, the Arrow rep said that the supplied dyno was done with no other mods at all. So with a fuel controller or ECU tune it will be even better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also asked Akrapovic the same a couple months ago, (akrapovic Benelux) (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg).
The same answer, no plans for a full system in the near future.

Thats when I decides to pick the Arrow headers with a custom akra can with a PC-V
Headers arrived yesterday, also the exhaust valve eliminator.
I'm waiting now for the new gaskets (orderd already) to make an appointment with the exhaust builder.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some updates.

Leo Vince, Remus, and Jardine have no plans for a full system.

Two Brothers is "working on something" and will have more info in 4-6 weeks.

Motad has a full system, and it's cheap, but they haven't replied to my emails asking for info.

·
Registered
974 Posts
have anyone tried the ixil sx 1...? they do also have a full system...
If i was upgrading my exhaust i would be doing it to get rid of the ugly box and not to replace it with another one ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been talking to a few exhaust manufacturers, gathering information regarding full systems for the GSX-S since info seems to be scarce at the moment. I will try to condense it for all the members that are considering getting a full system (because as most of us know, a slip-on isn't gonna do jack ****).

Here's what I've got so far:

Arrow

Note: Select worldwide on the ebay sidebar to see all of the options. Some are free shipping.

Headers/midpipe only - $713 to $740 (ebay) - replaces stock headers and midpipe. Keeps O2 sensor bung. Can be used with stock end can (very loud) or theoretically with any aftermarket slip on that fits the stock midpipe. 4-2-1 design.

Full System - $867 to $1000+ (ebay) - several options for the end can including shapes and colors. I saw one user on this forum that had fitment issues between the can and midpipe (too loose). Includes removable baffle.

Weight: 4.34 KG headers + 2.17 KG can
Rear wheel gains: +5.6 HP peak. +~10 Nm midrange (torque dip completely gone).

M4

Full system - $857 (sportbike track gear or ebay) - black can tucked under the footpeg for a more compact look. Built-in bungs for o2 and wideband sensors. 4-2-1 design. Removable baffle.

Weight: 12 lbs total
Rear wheel gains: +8.3 HP peak. +~8 Nm midrange (torque dip almost gone).

Yoshimura

R11 Full system - $1141 - $1250 (contact [email protected]) - clean system with 4 color options and a higher profile can up by the passenger footpeg. 4-1 design. Removable baffle. Ships from Japan (up to 2 weeks) but you only pay local shipping from CA.

Weight: 6.1 - 6.3 KG
Gains: +~2 hp peak. +~8 Nm midrange (torque dip still exists but it's much improved).

CS Racing

Full system - $715 (ebay) - TaylorMade style, has a small muffler box where the stock one is so it is possibly not as loud as the other systems which tend to be straight-through. 4-2-1 design. Removable baffle.

Weight: 6.3 KG
Gains: +4.7 hp peak. +~5 Nm midrange (torque dip still there).

Others

Akrapovic told me that they do not plan on making a full system for our bikes. I am waiting to hear back from Remus.

See the attached dyno graphs for each exhaust system. These were all supplied directly to me by the manufacturers except the M4 one, which I found on the forum (still supplied by M4). Keep in mind that they all use different scaling, units, etc. so it is not advised to compare them directly. For example, CS's graph is tall and narrow so it makes the torque dip look a lot worse than Arrow's which is short and wide.
I wonder if this info is still accurate. Arrow headers appeared to be the best option for this bike but it is beginning to look like M4, with the longer secondary pipes, is now the overall preferred combo. Neither Arrow nor M4 allow for much choice if not using the same maker's muffler.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wonder if this info is still accurate. Arrow headers appeared to be the best option for this bike but it is beginning to look like M4, with the longer secondary pipes, is now the overall preferred combo. Neither Arrow nor M4 allow for much choice if not using the same maker's muffler.
If you are speaking from pure performance advantage then yes, m4 have a better design for filling in the mid range gap.
An exhaust shop could make almost anything work if you had a muffler in mind.
Depending on what you're looking for you would gain far more riding pleasure from upgrading the rear shock and having the bike dynotuned (flash or power commander).
There's nothing particularly lacking about the motor or the way it produces power.
In stock form i doubt anybody could ride it WOT through town or twisties on a public road.
And if you can, you should be riding motoGP next season.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you are speaking from pure performance advantage then yes, m4 have a better design for filling in the mid range gap.
An exhaust shop could make almost anything work if you had a muffler in mind.
Depending on what you're looking for you would gain far more riding pleasure from upgrading the rear shock and having the bike dynotuned (flash or power commander).
There's nothing particularly lacking about the motor or the way it produces power.
In stock form i doubt anybody could ride it WOT through town or twisties on a public road.
And if you can, you should be riding motoGP next season.
Understood.

Already have the K-Tech shock under my bed waiting to go on when the exhaust does. I am moving towards the Holeshot PC style set up since Dale has done a solid package for another bike I own. I'd take his muffler but it isn't as small as I'd like it to be. Just trying to find the best combo of header/muffler/tune now, that avoids the passenger footpeg hanger. Thank you for your earlier recommendations re: SC Project!

I live in Japan so not really keen on pulling the ECU, sending it to Danos and then having to wait for the turnaround. Summers are short up here in Hokkaido!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Understood.

Already have the K-Tech shock under my bed waiting to go on when the exhaust does. I am moving towards the Holeshot PC style set up since Dale has done a solid package for another bike I own. I'd take his muffler but it isn't as small as I'd like it to be. Just trying to find the best combo of header/muffler/tune now, that avoids the passenger footpeg hanger. Thank you for your earlier recommendations re: SC Project!

I live in Japan so not really keen on pulling the ECU, sending it to Danos and then having to wait for the turnaround. Summers are short up here in Hokkaido!

I have Dale's 10' Bad Boy (Shorty) with touring clamp (hangs lower) on Arrow Headers. Removed the rear foot pegs and bought a hanger designed for a 2011 GSX-R1000 - perfect fit. IMHO, it looks good, sounds good and runs great.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have Dale's 10' Bad Boy (Shorty) with touring clamp (hangs lower) on Arrow Headers. Removed the rear foot pegs and bought a hanger designed for a 2011 GSX-R1000 - perfect fit. IMHO, it looks good, sounds good and runs great.
Yes, I saw your set up and like it, but the size of the muffler kind of bugs me. Aren't you on another thread looking at getting rid of your Arrow set up in favour of the M4?

I am trying to stick with pilot footpeg mounted muffler options because I want to remove the passenger footpegs altogether to create that unobstructed "ass hanging over the rear tire" look.

I have the Arrow headers waiting to go on now, just trying to lock into which muffler. The Arrow Pro Race is beginning to catch my eye if I can get a confirmation that it mounts down low and doesn't need a hanger. I like the way the M4 looks and it seems like it has a small advantage in power... maybe not enough to go through the hassle of selling what I have, though.

·
Registered
323 Posts
For now keeping the Arrows; as I like the look and performance. IF a real good option comes up I will consider the M4 - but not keen on fabricating a quality link pipe. From what I understand, M4 has better mid-range power / torque; Arrow should be a bit better at WOT. Good luck and post pictures when you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
698 Posts
With my M4 system, I have thought about getting a decat pipe, cutting off the last half, and welding or clamping it to the m4 so that I would have a stock position for the end can. Of course that would mean cutting the m4 back a bit and would be a bit expensive. Just not sure if the angle and position would work perfectly.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts