GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new to the forum (and bike) and have a couple questions I'd love some experienced riders to help me out with. first off, a quick history of my riding experience for perspective. riding for 12 yrs with a 250cc sport bike which I still have. picked up a 1400cc cruiser 3 yrs ago and ride both frequently. I picked up a 16 GSXS last week and love the beast. A few things I want to work out but not sure which direction to go too. I'm no racer and don't plan on doing 100+mph on the regular, but love that its there if I want it. I use my bike for fun and even to commute to work a lot.

The original owner cut out the cat and factory exhaust and welded on this small muffler (that I'm not a fan of). so I'm looking to get a full exhaust system.

I know that there's been so-so reviews of the Delkevic system that it doesn't look pretty or produce that much power, but honestly... I'm not looking for MORE power. These bikes are powerful to begin with! I just want clean and smooth. I know its cheaper but I don't think its outright bad...is it? I do know its a 4-1 design as opposed to 4-2-1 so that mean it'll affect my top end more than my mid, but I'm wondering more if my mid will actually suffer?

Also, I noticed that when I'm in low to mid rpms cruising, there's this weird "stutter" of the bike that gives this on/off goes then bogs down, then goes and bogs down, repeatedly. I've spent hours reading posts on this forum and learning about things like power commanders, 02 wideband sensors or the opposite... eliminators, boosterplugs and servo buddys, pair valve removal and block off plate installs.... and its all kinda overwhelming. I would just like a nice [quieter] sounding bike with a more even throttle response in all ranges. I'm more practical and don't see myslef doing 100+mph....at least not regularly lol;). Thanks i advance for any help!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Seems like a few topics to tackle here:

1. You don't like what the previous owner did to the exhaust; it's loud and is (maybe) causing some issues.
2. You want to replace the exhaust with a full system, and you're looking for feedback on what's available and/or has been tried.
3. You have questions about how different exhaust systems impact HP vs torque.
4. You want to resolve the weird stutter the bike has in low-to-mid RPMs.

If I hear ya correctly, you should consider buying a used, stock system. Probably the least expensive route and it's guaranteed to work, and it won't add more power. Not a ton of full system options in the US and the M4 system seems popular. There are others, of course.

Exhaust design is a complex topic but Brock Davidson has some great content on YouTube. There's a series on a project GSX-R worth tuning into (excuse the pun). There's some wisdom buried in this forum on how the torque curve is impacted by the length of the mid pipe, but bigger/smaller diameter headers impact torque too.

The stutter could be a lot of things. Maybe the PO didn't flash the ECU after hacking up the exhaust, which is another reason to consider a stock system. Alternatively, you could send your ECU to Dano's. But you probably don't want to do it twice, so wait until you settle on an exhaust system.

Hope this helps, and that others chime in because mine is just one opinion.

·
Registered
2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like a few topics to tackle here:

1. You don't like what the previous owner did to the exhaust; it's loud and is (maybe) causing some issues.
2. You want to replace the exhaust with a full system, and you're looking for feedback on what's available and/or has been tried.
3. You have questions about how different exhaust systems impact HP vs torque.
4. You want to resolve the weird stutter the bike has in low-to-mid RPMs.

If I hear ya correctly, you should consider buying a used, stock system. Probably the least expensive route and it's guaranteed to work, and it won't add more power. Not a ton of full system options in the US and the M4 system seems popular. There are others, of course.

Exhaust design is a complex topic but Brock Davidson has some great content on YouTube. There's a series on a project GSX-R worth tuning into (excuse the pun). There's some wisdom buried in this forum on how the torque curve is impacted by the length of the mid pipe, but bigger/smaller diameter headers impact torque too.

The stutter could be a lot of things. Maybe the PO didn't flash the ECU after hacking up the exhaust, which is another reason to consider a stock system. Alternatively, you could send your ECU to Dano's. But you probably don't want to do it twice, so wait until you settle on an exhaust system.

Hope this helps, and that others chime in because mine is just one opinion.
Thanks for your advice! and i've always been one to love a good pun. ;). well after more reading of older posts i think i've come up with this as a plan. keep my stock headers and the PO left plenty of metal after the servo valve
for me to cut the rest off and install one of these mid pipes...

and then a nice mid range price slip on of my choosing.

Then dropping in a hi-flow air filter and removing the restrictor panel inside the airbox. Finally send to dano's for an ECU flash and call it a day. I emailed them and they did mention to me that they would be disabling the O2 sensor and servo valve so i can just unplug those. he would also be disabling the PAIR valve so i would need to block those off tho. All things considered, does that sound like a solid plan or am i possibly missing something? thanks again for your advice/help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts