GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When ordering the GTA at my dealer I noticed a good deal on DR650s...the new 2021 DR's are $7400 and only come with a one year warranty now...but they had a 2020 that my buddy said I could have for $5999cdn ($4780us) with a 5 year factory warranty and a $350 accessory credit.
I went home and thought about...mostly wondering out loud to get a gauge on my wife's thoughts...lol...buying two new bikes is a little crazy but I had DR650 and sold it after my accident last year as I knew it would be a while before I rode off road again...my plan was to wait until spring and thought about buying a 701 but the horrors stories of breakdowns by friends was scaring me off.
Anyway I pulled the trigger (Wife was totally cool about it lol) and pick it up Saturday....too good of a deal to pass up imo :)

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I was looking for a "second" bike for my southern Utah home and was thinking about a DR. I love the look, specs, etc. I was also considering a DL650, so was looking at those too. I test road the DR, exact same color as yours, which I love, and seat height was higher than I expected, and I don't go off road much. I found a 2013 DL with <4K miles for less than half the price so I went for that. I think I would have been happy with either, but couldn't pass up the low price of the DL. I'm sure you'll get plenty of great miles on the DR, and it sure is a good looking dually. ;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Congratulations Trev,
I really like the gray enamel colour scheme. Suzuki must have finally run low on matte Black.
Adding a new second bike with another new bike is a hard decision as the comparison of I 'love that new Bike' against 'Will I fall out of love with one of them' after a while, and get a dose of Buyers Regret.

I've done that a few times myself. A few Members here may remember that I ordered a 2021 White V Strom 650 around July and posted a picture of it when it eventually arrived in the Showroom.
That was far as I got with that bike as I delayed taking delivery till September just gone. In the interim period, someone begged the Dealer to sell it to them (stock them sold out).

So when asked to agree for me to wait for the next shipment, due in November, I had by then time to reconsider the V Strom as second bike.
As I was not riding the SV 650 as much by then, and finding the Euro 5 had sapped the 650 motor, I said "Yes, Let him have it".

Now, I am thinking about other bikes of the 2021/2 GSX-S Family, Z900RS, Monster 950, and so on all again.
The cycle continues for me, but I must say the SV 650 is still a great second bike or only bike, when all things are fairly considered. Outright power isn't everything.

Enjoy Trevor and Partner, and you've both got a rare new road bike today, a carby'ed one.

Rob.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Congratulations Trev,
I really like the gray enamel colour scheme. Suzuki must have finally run low on matte Black.
Adding a new second bike with another new bike is a hard decision as the comparison of I 'love that new Bike' against 'Will I fall out of love with one of them' after a while, and get a dose of Buyers Regret.

I've done that a few times myself. A few Members here may remember that I ordered a 2021 White V Strom 650 around July and posted a picture of it when it eventually arrived in the Showroom.
That was far as I got with that bike as I delayed taking delivery till September just gone. In the interim period, someone begged the Dealer to sell it to them (stock them sold out).

So when asked to agree for me to wait for the next shipment, due in November, I had by then time to reconsider the V Strom as second bike.
As I was not riding the SV 650 as much by then, and finding the Euro 5 had sapped the 650 motor, I said "Yes, Let him have it".

Now, I am thinking about other bikes of the 2021/2 GSX-S Family, Z900RS, Monster 950, and so on all again.
The cycle continues for me, but I must say the SV 650 is still a great second bike or only bike, when all things are fairly considered. Outright power isn't everything.

Enjoy Trevor and Partner, and you've both got a rare new road bike today, a carby'ed one.

Rob.
ya i had a gladius i liked it a lot but on the crazy highways where i live i got rid of it and then a ninja 650 and got the gsxs1000f its nice to be able to get out of the way of these idiots and rocket off without being cramped up like a horse jockey-

·
Administrator
553 Posts
When ordering the GTA at my dealer I noticed a good deal on DR650s...the new 2021 DR's are $7400 and only come with a one year warranty now...but they had a 2020 that my buddy said I could have for $5999cdn ($4780us) with a 5 year factory warranty and a $350 accessory credit.
I went home and thought about...mostly wondering out loud to get a gauge on my wife's thoughts...lol...buying two new bikes is a little crazy but I had DR650 and sold it after my accident last year as I knew it would be a while before I rode off road again...my plan was to wait until spring and thought about buying a 701 but the horrors stories of breakdowns by friends was scaring me off.
Anyway I pulled the trigger (Wife was totally cool about it lol) and pick it up Saturday....too good of a deal to pass up imo :)

View attachment 46761
Your wife needs to talk to my wife about how it is cool to buy & have several bikes, 😀😀, she thinks two is too many. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice! Last year I was looking for a DR650 but couldn't find a sweet deal and ended up getting a low mileage (dealer loaner) 2014 V-Strom 1000. I still plan on getting the DR at some point.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Loved the two dr I owned. Looked for one beginning of year. Dealers around my way have nothing on show rooms. Glad to see they made 21 models

·
Banned
134 Posts
I loved my last one for sure...almost all my street riding buddies have a dual sport bike too...living on Vancouver Island it's crazy not to have one...so much to explore here. :)
IM jelly the only place I know to ride is motocross tracks and i am done with those days-- UMMMMM maybe i need to do some investigation i would love to do a 2-3 hour
trail ride--

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
picked it up today and then dragged it through the parts department....felt like buying a Harley...lol
Picked up my new DR650 today....and then dragged it through the accessory department...felt like I was buying a Harley! Lol
Skid plate, big fuel tank, engine case saver, heated grips, lever guards, Yoshi exhaust and jet kit, Pro Taper fat bars, LED headlight, tail tidy, bar risers....still need a few other things....looking forward to piecing it together
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 08 DR650 and absolutely love it, will never sell it. Just love the way it'll kick it up on trail rides, then comfortably do 80mph on the hiway home. Had an XT600 and a XR650L, and the DR is a way better bike in every way, and is stupidly simple to maintain.
3 things you should do: 1. The fork springs are too wimpy, put in stiffer ones. 2. The airbox breathes thru a tiny straw, cut that out and open it up (which means major rejetting), and replace the CV carb with a FCR carb, the low end throttle response gain is awesome. One thing you dont need to worry about changing is the exhaust, although heavy, its quiet and flows pretty well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an 08 DR650 and absolutely love it, will never sell it. Just love the way it'll kick it up on trail rides, then comfortably do 80mph on the hiway home. Had an XT600 and a XR650L, and the DR is a way better bike in every way, and is stupidly simple to maintain.
3 things you should do: 1. The fork springs are too wimpy, put in stiffer ones. 2. The airbox breathes thru a tiny straw, cut that out and open it up (which means major rejetting), and replace the CV carb with a FCR carb, the low end throttle response gain is awesome. One thing you dont need to worry about changing is the exhaust, although heavy, its quiet and flows pretty well.
Thanks for the advice! I have already bought a Yoshimura system and jetting for the carb. I’ll do the front and rear suspension. I had two Dr650s already and hear what you are saying... love them too! I love the reliability and tractorness of them.
Five ****ing year warranty!! Ktm and Husky can’t even come close imo 😝

1 - 14 of 14 Posts