GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
Welcome!

when I first started riding, bikes had kick starters,
I'm old so my memory is not too good. Was that before or after dinosaurs? History was a problem too, especially if you skipped too much skool. It affected ur speliing and othur subjekts.

Gonzohead said:
Maybe I鈥檓 getting old and intolerant?
Yes, if you are like me, yes.

@Cainus83: Excellent idea! I like where your head is at! A rather brainy idea. Barring any law prohibiting, I can handle that. Might have to twist the missus to join me after that though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
You Aussies have an "interesting" sense of humor. (assuming you were joking of coarse). :ROFLMAO:
Ahh, it was a joke. Just about to go out and find me a bit of road kill. While at it might grab a wombat, possum, dingo.... the handle bars on these gsxs鈥檚 are wide enough to mount them all.

Registered
Kangaroos are very common in many rural areas. The trick is to find a fresh kill, which is usually quite easy in the early morning after Skippy made that fateful hop across the highway the night before. When you have found your prize proceed to use your pocket knife to carefully remove the head, just below the jaw.
If you don't have a knife handy you could give it a fishing line necklace and drag it behind your bike until it pops off. Alternatively just twist it back and forth with your bare hands.
Don't worry about other road users, they'll know exactly what you're up to.
Mount the freshly severed head to your handlebars just above your headlight in an act of war.
Now you have a unique, attractive and fragrant accessory but better still, I dare say no kangaroo is going to mess with that guy.
Some people might think you insensitive, but I saw Crocodile Dundee 1 and 2, and I realize the Australian psyche. I personally feel the knife routine for severing the head is the way to go. The fishing line necklace is just plain messy. Enough to make a Canadian tourist viewing it puke.

What you haven鈥檛 confirmed, is that you guys must be very proficient at swerving to avoid the kangaroos, thereby being better riders than the average North American. Harley guys on average can鈥檛 even go around corners, so swerving would be out of the question. 馃憤馃徏馃憤馃徏

Registered
2015 GSX-S1000 ABS
Strange how some threads can set your mind going, now I'm wondering what Kangaroo tastes like? :rolleyes:

Reactions: gritty

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Some people might think you insensitive, but I saw Crocodile Dundee 1 and 2, and I realize the Australian psyche. I personally feel the knife routine for severing the head is the way to go. The fishing line necklace is just plain messy. Enough to make a Canadian tourist viewing it puke.

What you haven鈥檛 confirmed, is that you guys must be very proficient at swerving to avoid the kangaroos, thereby being better riders than the average North American. Harley guys on average can鈥檛 even go around corners, so swerving would be out of the question. 馃憤馃徏馃憤馃徏
Ha ha ha. Only ever ridden one Harley. Not a good experience. Probably the slowest but most dangerous 3 minutes of my life! Seriously, never again.
We have a bit of road kill but I鈥檇 say it鈥檚 mostly Wombats that have been hit in the middle of the night by a car or truck then dragged off the road. Though you do see the occasional Roo on the side of the road.
Many long time rural riders will have a story of a Roo jumping out in front of them but it鈥檚 so rare you never really think about it.

Registered
Ha ha ha. Only ever ridden one Harley. Not a good experience. Probably the slowest but most dangerous 3 minutes of my life! Seriously, never again.
We have a bit of road kill but I鈥檇 say it鈥檚 mostly Wombats that have been hit in the middle of the night by a car or truck then dragged off the road. Though you do see the occasional Roo on the side of the road.
Many long time rural riders will have a story of a Roo jumping out in front of them but it鈥檚 so rare you never really think about it.
I checked what a Wombat was and I see they vary between 40 to 70 lbs. A large kangaroo can be 200 lbs. we鈥檝e got you beat here. An elk weighs 700 lbs plus. Even so, hitting your 鈥渓ittle鈥 wombats on a bike can鈥檛 be a good thing for bike or rider.

We have signs for the elk in the North country telling them where to cross. You see ELK crossing signs on the road. Being smart, they only cross at points they鈥檙e allowed to.馃槼

Administrator
GonzoHead: I'll trade you 3 Wombats and 2 Kangaroos for 1 of our Moose.
Up to 7 feet at the shoulder and up to 1600 pounds.
You hit a Moose - you have a VERY BIG problem.
We have way too many in NH - and they do not read "Moose Crossing" signs well. :)
OBTW - Welcome.

Attachments

Registered
I've had two close encounters with deer. One jumped over me! Yeah, for real. The other I just missed by inches and still remember the panic in his eyes, and I'm glad they were both healthy and athletic. If I hadn't been wearing a full face with dark tint, they would have seen the panic in my eyes. o_O Disaster averted in both cases. Yup. Lucky.

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
I checked what a Wombat was and I see they vary between 40 to 70 lbs. A large kangaroo can be 200 lbs. we鈥檝e got you beat here. An elk weighs 700 lbs plus. Even so, hitting your 鈥渓ittle鈥 wombats on a bike can鈥檛 be a good thing for bike or rider.
I've had two close encounters with deer. One jumped over me! Yeah, for real.
I humbly concede defeat guys. Problem with wombats though is you don鈥檛 see them and they are like hitting a small boulder - they have no squash factor whatsoever. In fact I have never seen one dead on the side of the road that hasn鈥檛 retained its rotund shape in its full completeness, never! From a visual perspective they appear quite healthy up till the birds finally work out they鈥檙e dead and start pecking at them.
At the other end of the scale there鈥檚 Bees and wasps. Man I hate it when one survives the impact and goes wandering around in your helmet or down your clothes somewhere 馃槮

Registered
Many long time rural riders will have a story of a Roo jumping out in front of them
I second experiences with deer here. A few close calls, one confirmed kill. I didn't realize I killed it leaving work one night. The next day I was gluing my fender and one of the guys asked what happened. I told him, and he said later that night he saw a dead deer on the side of the road in the same spot. I can only assume it was the one I hit.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts