GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I powered both the heated grips and the sat nav from the same 5A fused relay under the seat which is energised from the licence plate light feed.

The heated grip controller is mounted using the standard hardware that came with them. I fitted Honda grips as they heat all of the grip, not only half like the Suzuki ones. The control box looks identical to the Suzuki grips, but I think the mounting bracket may be a little different.

The Garmin Zumo mount uses the supplied socket to socket Ram mount and an M8 Ram handle bar clamp ball, although I replaced the thumb screw arrangement with a button head screw and nyloc nut to stop any 'little fingers' fiddling with it when the bike is parked up and left unattended. There wasn't enough cable to get the Garmin regulator box all the way back to under the seat, so I had to find a bit of space under the tank and extend the 12V input cables back to the relay instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Martin,

Nice install, I just noticed this thread after I installed my Garmin Zumo, I had the same problem as you and had to extend the wires from the voltage convertor box back the power source.

I went the easy route and wired it up direct to the battery, but left the fuse connection under the rear seat so I can just remove the fuse when I am not using the bike for a period of time.

Did you manage to find a way to remove the cradle when not in use? I looked at using a USB connection, but the cradle blocks the USB port and seemed like no other way to connect it apart from the wiring supplied. I was thinking of a waterproof connector onto the existing wire so I can just unplug it and the cradle when not in use. similar idea you have with an optimate battery charger if that makes sense. Not sure if it can be done and where I can get this??

Also might see you around as I notice you are Reading area...might see you up the H cafe at some point seems our bikes are pretty much the same so will be easy to spot. I just gotta find someone to colour code my rear seat cover instead of it being grey!

Cheers

Al

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Al, I've not considered removing the mount when not in use, I just put the rubber cover over the connector on the mount and forget about it!

Yep H cafe is one of my usual haunts, although my bike has been garaged since the clocks went back last year and will stay there until spring comes and all the road salt is washed away!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Martin,
Doesn't the use of the 5amp supply imply that the max power is limited to 60W for your plate light, zumo & grips? Your arrangement does look descend at the least. I intend to arrange the same equipment on short notice.
Best,
Gert

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Gert, no the extra load on the licence plate light is just the coil side of the relay which is negligible. The common contact of the relay is directly connected to the battery and the normally open contact has a 5A fuse and is connected to the grips and GPS. when the licence plate light is off, (ignition off) the relay contact is open and neither the grips or GPS are connected to the battery. When the licence plate light is on (ignition on) the relay contact is closed and both the grips and the GPS are directly connected to the battery through a 5A fuse.

There is a switched live feed somewhere on the bike already, but I couldn't find it. On the naked version I believe it is up in the headlight housing (there's a thread or two on here about it) not sure where it is meant to be on the F. Because I couldn't find it and didn't know what power it was designed for I fitted my own switched live feed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Al, I've not considered removing the mount when not in use, I just put the rubber cover over the connector on the mount and forget about it!

Yep H cafe is one of my usual haunts, although my bike has been garaged since the clocks went back last year and will stay there until spring comes and all the road salt is washed away!
Aha nice one, I am the same as you bike is off the road until the spring, normally tax it again in April if the weather is good enough and they have stopped gritting the roads!

I will keep an eye open for you up at the H cafe, we normally head over there from time to time. I am normally there with my missus, she has a White/ blue GSXR-750LO with carbon yoshi.

Looking forward to getting on it again, I installed a power commander/ sat nav etc... oil & filter change over the winter so ready to roll. The missus bike I gave a full service, usual service + new brake pads/ tyre etc...

Cheers

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts