GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been without my bike for a few years - definitely not by choice - and just pre-ordered a GSX-S1000GTA(+). I'm pretty excited to start riding again without borrowing my friend's bike (yes, he's a d*mn good friend, lol), but starting over with gear again too...

I wanted to throw this out there, since I've noticed there's so many experienced and knowledgeable riders here - Does anyone have any good recommendations for a headset? I expect to be taking a lot of longer rides with my better-half on the pillion, and would like to be able to communicate (so obviously, I'd be getting a pair). Would probably like to go for something with decent sound quality for music as well (not sure if they can share a music source too?).

I've been doing my own searches, but there's lots of options and hard to tell which reviews are sponsored/paid (in my search, I'm leaning toward the Cardo Packtalk Bold - a little pricey tho).

I think the rest of my gear, I'll just pick up at the dealer so I can try on, versus online where I have to hope there's no sizing issues and dealing with returns/exchanges - but I figure with headsets, I'll probably get better options broadening my search.

I've never owned a set before... Usually rode solo with friends and chatted enough when we weren't riding, lol.

Thanks a mil for any suggestions you can throw my way! (If it's relevant, I'm in Canada/Alberta)

·
Registered
377 Posts
You won't need the Packtalk if it's just you and 1 other rider ... get the Freecom 2+ and you'll be fine. Battery lasts forever and you get FM stations with 6 presets I think it is. Get a 2-pk and save a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You won't need the Packtalk if it's just you and 1 other rider ... get the Freecom 2+ and you'll be fine. Battery lasts forever and you get FM stations with 6 presets I think it is. Get a 2-pk and save a bit.
Thanks @Gixxus_Lou ! Looking closer, that makes sense... Only diff between the two is the mesh for riding in a pack ("Pack"talk, facepalm, lol).

Thinking maybe the 4+ since it's basically the same thing, but with the support for cross-brand intercom (in case I'm riding with someone else) and the JBL speakers for better sound (which can be added to the 2+, but cheaper to just buy the ones with)... Still a decent $$ difference from the Bold - but you're right, the Bold would be overkill for my needs.

Otherwise, I assume you're saying it's a solid set as far as the options out there (heard a lot about the Sena's as well)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**Update: Just ordered the Cardo Freetalk 4+ (they were on sale and a bit cheaper than the Sena 10S). A bunch more scouring forums, opinions seem to be the Sena's are more popular but the Cardo's have been better received (for sound quality, stability, ease of use).

·
Registered
342 Posts
I’ve considered getting a headset for years but never done so. The main reason I haven’t is because I find most helmets noisy even with ear plugs. Are headsets quieter, or are you still going to get wind noise when you ride?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve considered getting a headset for years but never done so. The main reason I haven’t is because I find most helmets noisy even with ear plugs. Are headsets quieter, or are you still going to get wind noise when you ride?
This'll be a first for me too, but from what I've read it seems to really depend a lot on whether you're using an open-face helmet or just have a helmet that doesn't stop a lot of wind/road noise.

·
Registered
418 Posts
This'll be a first for me too, but from what I've read it seems to really depend a lot on whether you're using an open-face helmet or just have a helmet that doesn't stop a lot of wind/road noise.
I use Sena units and have 5 of them (one for each helmet)....4 of the 30s units and 1 50s unit....I've used them for years and won't even go to the corner store without one on my helmet..
And yes...wear earplugs with the speakers...sound is better and you won't damage your ears from the wind noise.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Moulded earplugs with built in speakers have been my go to solution for over 10 years and I wouldn't change now. No need to blast music to try and mask the wind noise and you can hear your devices at a low volume.

I have to look after what is left of my hearing :censored::cautious:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Moulded earplugs with built in speakers have been my go to solution for over 10 years and I wouldn't change now. No need to blast music to try and mask the wind noise and you can hear your devices at a low volume.

I have to look after what is left of my hearing :censored::cautious:
Are you talking about just regular bluetooth ear buds? Or something made specifically for wearing under a helmet? I‘ve considered doing that under my modular helmet, as the sides flex enough to pull it on over the buds.

·
Registered
2021(updated model) GSX-S1000
2,140 Posts
**Update: Just ordered the Cardo Freetalk 4+ (they were on sale and a bit cheaper than the Sena 10S). A bunch more scouring forums, opinions seem to be the Sena's are more popular but the Cardo's have been better received (for sound quality, stability, ease of use).
Just a word of warning about the Cardo. I had the same unit and used it without problem on several helmets.
However when refitting the unit one day in a hurry I pressed down too hard to get it to click in to place on the stick-on mount and damaged the lip on the back.
After that it would not stay in place on any of my helmets and I had to get another.
The thing to do if it doesn't click in easily is to slightly lift the release tab while pressing down.
Helmets have different amounts of curvature which affects the stick-on type mounts and thus how flat they sit.

Reactions: Jams

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a word of warning about the Cardo. I had the same unit and used it without problem on several helmets.
However when refitting the unit one day in a hurry I pressed down too hard to get it to click in to place on the stick-on mount and damaged the lip on the back.
After that it would not stay in place on any of my helmets and I had to get another.
The thing to do if it doesn't click in easily is to slightly lift the release tab while pressing down.
Helmets have different amounts of curvature which affects the stick-on type mounts and thus how flat they sit.
Thanks @dekker !

I'll keep that in mind. As long as functionality is good, I think I should be happy. I'll definitely keep what you mentioned in mind when attaching/assembling and try not to use any force. Definitely helpful!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Are you talking about just regular bluetooth ear buds? Or something made specifically for wearing under a helmet? I‘ve considered doing that under my modular helmet, as the sides flex enough to pull it on over the buds.
They are custom moulded plugs with a speaker in them, then the connect via a 3.5mm audio plug.

Here's a link to the ones I use, sure someone must sell them on your side of the pond. Motorcycle Custom Ear Plug with Speaker | SoundEar

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a Sena 10s and the sound is great, i have even had phonecalls where they haven’t realised that i was out on the bike, even with my earmoulds that have filters in i great the music and calls…

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have a Sena 10s and the sound is great, i have even had phonecalls where they haven’t realised that i was out on the bike, even with my earmoulds that have filters in i great the music and calls…
Lol...I work all the time from my bike... :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Can you here sounds around you though?
They obviously make things quieter but you can still hear stuff like the engine and traffic, well unless you have your music turned up to 11 :D

I find they help me concentrate more on longer rides and they help reduce fatigue.

·
Registered
418 Posts
They obviously make things quieter but you can still hear stuff like the engine and traffic, well unless you have your music turned up to 11 :D

I find they help me concentrate more on longer rides and they help reduce fatigue.
LOL... 11...you must be old like me to know that reference. 🙂
I’ve thought about going your route from my Sena so I can get better sound quality... but just afraid of not hearing what I need to here...
can you take calls?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts