GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been riding a new 2020 gsx s750 for just over 2 weeks now and i am super in love with the bike.

There is a thingy that's been bogging me a bit though; When i start the bike cold and go for a ride the first 5 mins it shifts buttersmooth without any noise comming from the gearbox. However, when the engine / parts heat up i notice shifting between first, second and (sometimes) third goes with quite a bit of clunking / clacking noise. Sometimes its more than other times. Besides the noise the shifting is still smooth.

Also at lower speeds i hear a tikking/slight rattling noise comming from underneath the gastank. This rattling is not very loud but enough to hear it next to my exhaust & wind noise.

I know these might be some vague issues but perhaps any of you have experienced any of these things also, or maybe it's all normal ?. Its just that im so in love with the bike and are better safe than sorry.

The bike has about 1000 miles (1500 kilometres) on it and it is the first bike i ever owned. It just got back from its first 1000km maintenance where they changed the oil, oilfilter and tightened the chain.

Greetings!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I wonder what kind of oil they put in, and if they filled properly. Oil is thicker when it’s cold, thins out when hot, and your noises/rough shifting starts to occur. That‘a a long shot but first thing that comes to mind, If these issues only started after the service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responds.

First thing i'm probably going to do is do an oil change to any high quality oil.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've had many bikes over my 50 years of riding and I think the gearbox in my 1000F is the smoothest I've ever had.
A little chunk sometimes between 1st and 2nd but not much compared to some other machines I've had. Try some Rotella T6 15-40. WalMart $22.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I've been riding a new 2020 gsx s750 for just over 2 weeks now and i am super in love with the bike.

There is a thingy that's been bogging me a bit though; When i start the bike cold and go for a ride the first 5 mins it shifts buttersmooth without any noise comming from the gearbox. However, when the engine / parts heat up i notice shifting between first, second and (sometimes) third goes with quite a bit of clunking / clacking noise. Sometimes its more than other times. Besides the noise the shifting is still smooth.

Also at lower speeds i hear a tikking/slight rattling noise comming from underneath the gastank. This rattling is not very loud but enough to hear it next to my exhaust & wind noise.

I know these might be some vague issues but perhaps any of you have experienced any of these things also, or maybe it's all normal ?. Its just that im so in love with the bike and are better safe than sorry.

The bike has about 1000 miles (1500 kilometres) on it and it is the first bike i ever owned. It just got back from its first 1000km maintenance where they changed the oil, oilfilter and tightened the chain.

Greetings!
I've had my S750 for over a year, 4k miles. Haven't noticed unusual shift noise, if they put in cold-weather oil that is a possible solution, assuming you're in an oven state like I am. Chain tension may cause the rattle. Change oil and tune the chain, and see if it improves. If not, get it back to the dealer. My 2c.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have somewhat of the same thing happening on my 16 F. When I dont rev high enough when taking off the trans make a rattling noise and i can feel it in the foot pegs. It does it sometimes when shifting as well. I just did an oil change and noticed no difference with Mobil 1 10W-40 4T motorcycle oil. It does not have any adverse affects on it though, just noisy. Before I put it away for the winter ill be taking it to my bike mechanic to see if everything is copacetic. I will update you if anything is found to be wrong.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The only time I have had gearbox noises it has been due to operator error.
Either poor clutch timing or more commonly not allowing the gear lever to fully return between changes.
The annoying clunk from neutral to 1st when stationary seems to be universal across all bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts