GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there anybody else out there that thinks the stock gearing is too short like I do?

All I read about here is people going even lower with smaller front sprocket AND bigger rear sprocket. What are you guys doing, drag racing off the line all the time in town?

I just ordered a 41 rear sprocket. For me the stock gearing is way too short, I find myself searching for another “7th gear” all the time on the highway, and 1st gear seems too short as well. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Depends how you ride. I am 16/45 and it feels great. I have another bike for highway cruising, the GSX is just for ripping around the backroads on. Suzuki needs to upgrade this bike with a wider ratio tranny better suited for a street bike. The GSXR gearing is not optimal for a street bike. Wider ratios will give you better acceleration and a taller top gear. The bike has the power to really exploit a wider ratio.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sounds like you bought the wrong bike (for you that is) :)

130km/h++ in 1st is *not* "too short".
(If the GSXS had the same rev limit as its donor GSXR 05' it would reach 150km/h in 1st).

Yes, it is a sports bike, with a "drive unit" from a GSXR.
Not a Speed Triple, Bandit, Honda CBR, MT09/10 with an (in comparison) dirt bike gearing.

The previous poster have a good point that a "street bike" like the GSXS would "deserve" a tranny with a wider ratio between 1-6th.
Which is one reason I am happy with my Speed Triple S (still trying to get used to 1st barely "reaching" 100km/h) :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you bought the wrong bike (for you that is) :)

130km/h++ in 1st is *not* "too short".
(If the GSXS had the same rev limit as its donor GSXR 05' it would reach 150km/h in 1st).

Yes, it is a sports bike, with a "drive unit" from a GSXR.
Not a Speed Triple, Bandit, Honda CBR, MT09/10 with an (in comparison) dirt bike gearing.

The previous poster have a good point that a "street bike" like the GSXS would "deserve" a tranny with a wider ratio between 1-6th.
Which is one reason I am happy with my Speed Triple S (still trying to get used to 1st barely "reaching" 100km/h) :)
WHAAAAAT?? Bought the wrong bike? C'mon man! That has nothing to do with me preferring taller gearing. Just wondering if others feel the same, as all I read is folks going even with lower gearing.

·
Registered
642 Posts
A taller 6th for highway cruising would be nice, but I didn't buy a touring bike so it's good otherwise. Acceleration is as much as I need and 1st runs to 80, shorter would just create wheelies.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've gone 1 down at the front and 1 up at the back as well. I was going to go down at the back but after more riding I wanted to be able to use more of the power on the road rather than less of the noises on the freeway. I would also like a taller 6th gear for freeways. 6th feels so close to 5th is like 5b rather than 6. Minor complaint though, more wish list than problem.

·
Registered
694 Posts
A taller 6th for highway cruising would be nice, but I didn't buy a touring bike so it's good otherwise. Acceleration is as much as I need and 1st runs to 80, shorter would just create wheelies.

Rode my friends z900 17, I hated how short the gearing is, correct me if im confused. I had to shift like 5 times before 50mph it felt like, atleast I can ride a gear out for awhile on the gsxs. I really enjoy stock gearing a lot actually, wouldn't mind a higher gear on 6th, to make less rpms but whatever

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Never gave it any thought...just feel fine all around...i enjoy the fact i can do side rodes in 4 or 5th at low rpm and still pull and run smooth like a cruser...or down shift a few and run those same slow speeds with more of a hotrod feel and motor still not working hard.......this bike dont care what gear its in....just amazing ......i dont get the feeling i need another gear..

·
Registered
694 Posts
Never gave it any thought...just feel fine all around...i enjoy the fact i can do side rodes in 4 or 5th at low rpm and still pull and run smooth like a cruser...or down shift a few and run those same slow speeds with more of a hotrod feel and motor still not working hard.......this bike dont care what gear its in....just amazing ......i dont get the feeling i need another gear..

I love our stock gearing, I just meant like the last gear was a higher ratio or something, a big overdrive kind of 6th.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just gone up two on rear and its even more enjoyable on my daily commute - I was not bothered about maximum top speed, I enjoy the grunt and response, yes stock is great and I had no issues but I am a tinkerer and like to change my bikes and cars...
Horses for courses and it suits my needs currently, little motorway and all lanes and inner city. Week end blasts I rarely see above 135mph, so still plenty in reserve.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think the group wisdom (Can't believe I just typed that ) is spot on and I understand the OP comments.

My GSXS is used for all things, Scratching, city commute, touring and just for fun. The gearbox straight out of the GSXR has ratios which are not ideal for the road. 1st is too tall and 6th too low, a wider set of ratios would be great but we have what we have and to be honest its pretty good stock. Very fast road riding is 1st to 3rd gears and plenty for my abilities.

my dream ratios would be from 6 mph/1000 in first for crazy acceleration to 18 mph/1000 in top for a relaxed 90mph cruise.

I fitted a 55 profile rear which raises the gearing marginally and makes cruising a tiny bit less revvy. I also have a -1 front sprocket ready to go on in the hope of making more of that lovely power more accessible on the road. only reason I have not fitted it is the thought of 6th being reduced to 5th gear and all those revs during cruising.

The MT10 has the same issue with its gearbox but Yamaha geared it down much lower to make it such a wheelie monster. that bike is fair screaming at an 80 mph cruise

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess if your riding mostly in tight twisties the stock gearing would be ok, and I can see why everybody would like the even lower gearing they are changing to. I'm going to go 3 teeth smaller in the rear and see how that feels overall. Still, of the responses so far, no one has reported in that they have gone to taller gearing like I want. Would be nice to hear some comments from them too.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I guess if your riding mostly in tight twisties the stock gearing would be ok, and I can see why everybody would like the even lower gearing they are changing to. I'm going to go 3 teeth smaller in the rear and see how that feels overall. Still, of the responses so far, no one has reported in that they have gone to taller gearing like I want. Would be nice to hear some comments from them too.
id think any higher gearing will make 1st work harder pulling from a stop...there are times 1st seem a little tall pulling out of the hole...im interesded in your findings

·
Registered
96 Posts
While I love the power delivery of the bike I believe that by reducing the gearing some would also help with the snatch in the throttle. I have considered changing the gearing for that reason, but I have a while before I wear out this chain and sprocket set.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to be a long time before you wear out the chain and sprocket! I think the Vortex 41 I ordered was $130. Easy swap with existing 525 chain. I’ll report my review once in, which won’t be for a couple of weeks as I’m waiting for tires as well. Do it at the same time.

I’ve had dozens of street bikes, and as soon as I road this GSXS I was searching for another gear on the highway. I think 1st will also be fine with what I am doing. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I live at the top of a 30-35% hill with 5 90 degree bends and the bends are so slow that I would have to pull the clutch in to get round those corners in the stock first gear, now with -1/+4 gearing i can ride these corners properly and I love the extra acceleration that the gearing gives me. I don't spend too much time over 230kmh so I don't regret lowering the gearing.

But as with many others I would love a wider gearbox with a lower 1st, larger gaps and a higher 6th

·
Registered
444 Posts
The bike is geared similar to most stock 600cc super sports. 160ish mph top speed and 1st goes to 60mph.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Agreed, I did 80 mph in first did not want to hit rev limiter so I can believe that it is geared in stock form to do 85. I definitely would not want to gear it any taller because during "season" where I live the traffic gets bad and the fact that you cannot go less than 9-10 mph with the clutch out gets annoying. A lower first and higher sixth would be nice, but overall I love this bike. Before long I will need to replace stock chain and sprocket, so should I be thinking of one less tooth on the front or a few more on the back? Which is better to do?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Agreed, I did 80 mph in first did not want to hit rev limiter so I can believe that it is geared in stock form to do 85. I definitely would not want to gear it any taller because during "season" where I live the traffic gets bad and the fact that you cannot go less than 9-10 mph with the clutch out gets annoying. A lower first and higher sixth would be nice, but overall I love this bike. Before long I will need to replace stock chain and sprocket, so should I be thinking of one less tooth on the front or a few more on the back? Which is better to do?
I think most do the front since it is easier. Going down in the front will move the rear wheel back slightly, so might reduce the range of adjustment as the chain wears and stretches. Going up in the back could mean maybe having to get a longer chain. Down in front plus up in back would more or less even out the length. Another consideration might be same tooth/same sprocket...see the gearingcommander website. Of course, if you're changing the chain and sprockets, it would be no more work to change either or both.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts