GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to gear up, not down. Slow the motor a little on longer straight roads.
First I installed a rear sprocket with 3 less teeth. This worked but made the wheel base a little long. With the axel that far back the adjustment numbers on the swing arm are covered up, which makes chain adjustments difficult.
So I put the stock rear sprocket back on and went with a 18 tooth counter shaft sprocket and this seems to be the best set up.
I would like to go taller in the gearing as the motor is very capable, but will leave it as is because low gear is to tall.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mine would do over 85mph in first as stock, what gearing have you got on yours?
Whoops sorry. I would like my bike to be geared a little lower closer to 60 in 1st with a top speed of 150ish. I'll have to play around with gearing commander.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wanted to gear up, not down. Slow the motor a little on longer straight roads.
First I installed a rear sprocket with 3 less teeth. This worked but made the wheel base a little long. With the axel that far back the adjustment numbers on the swing arm are covered up, which makes chain adjustments difficult.
So I put the stock rear sprocket back on and went with a 18 tooth counter shaft sprocket and this seems to be the best set up.
I would like to go taller in the gearing as the motor is very capable, but will leave it as is because low gear is to tall.
Hope this helps.
Warren, you are the first to respond that you geared up like I will do, 41 tooth rear! So please, inquisitive minds here want to know .... how do you like that setup? Is 1st too tall now? When you cruise at 70 on the highway, what did your revs drop to? Please more info/review. Thanks

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I tried the 41 rear sprocket and way too tall. Beautiful on the highway, gives the “7th gear” I wanted, but looses too much explosive power on acceleration through the gears. Also, as Warren said, moves the rear axle too far back and covers the adjuster marks.

So I ordered a 42 and a 43 to experiment. And found out the $130 I paid was for both a front and rear sprocket (I didn’t order a front sprocket but received both so now I have two 17 tooth fronts). So now Vortex sold me the 42 for $60 and I found the 43 for $50.

I’m back to stock now until I receive the new sprockets. I’ll report back after testing both.

And Warren you said that you went to an 18 Front after not liking the 41 rear. I thought that would be the same ..... 1 tooth bigger on the front equals 3 teeth smaller on the rear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am happy with the 18 tooth counter shaft sprocket. And, yes it's about the same as 3 teeth off the back sprocket.
First gear is fine but the clutch has to be slipped a little on takeoff. Speed is 5000 RPM at 82 MPH, which is actually about 75 MPH.
My bike is a 2016 with the 2017 ECM. The newer ECM helps the bike launch with out stalling, as I had to be a little careful before. Drivability is also much improved.
The bike currently has 24000 miles.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Put the 43 rear on, and really nice compromise. 1st is low enough and a little better (lower revs) on the hwy in 6th. Then I went back to 44 (stock) because mounted a 200/55 rear tire, so still a little taller than stock (6%) .

You guys will crack up, as I started this thread thinking everyone is crazy for going even lower gearing from stock, and now I’m doing the same thing! Ordered a 46 rear. The problem is, and this is pissing me off, every liter bike (and my FZ-09) I’ve ever owned the front end would come up (wheelie) merely hard on the gas in 2nd gear, and I can’t get this bike to do it. Thus I’m going to go to lower gearing and see if that works. I need wheelies.

I just realized today my TC is on 1, but I doubt that would affect doing a wheelie.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes. Tc1 on, I do wheelie, comes up a foot and kills it brings down. I tried few times not realizing it and I was like wtf. Then I realized tC was on, turned it off, 65mph. Very gentle slipped clutch, Flick and hold throttle, let clutch in and the wheel lifts to balance point. So smooth. I’m stock gearing.

I do highway wheelies, you cannot do a wheelie with tc1 on. I don’t power, I only clutch up. Just fyi

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
After switching to the Triple I can see the OP desire to "nuter" the gearing a bit (now he has changed his mine though) :)

With TC=ON, riding mode=Road, the 1st gear is almost "useless".

As soon as the bike hits [email protected] the TC-warning light blinks like a strobe light, and it feels like "Gods hand" is trying to stop the bike from acceleration.
Not nice at all :(
This repeats on 2nd from 7k.

With TC=Off, no more than 25% throttle is necessary to loft the front wheel from anywhere over 3k.

Yes, it is a "hooligans" bike, but this is ridicoulous.

Triumph increased the rpm limit from 9.5k to 11.2k and *reduced* the gearing from 18/43 to 17/44.

I think this bike will accelerate better with 18/43 as it will handle WOT without trying to loop in 1st and 2nd.
:)
you're talking about a Speed Triple, I'm talking about the GSXS. Apples to Apples

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Penguin, I understand that you do clutch assisted wheelies, not just bring the front end up purely on the gas? That is why I'm going to try shorter gearing, and as I said above, this is the first liter "sport" bike I have ever owned that won't just wheelie in 2nd gear hard on the gas. Look forward to comments from others regarding this. I'm going gearing crazy.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
You do need to either clutch up or bounce (shut throttle, yank throttle) to get the front up. Otherwise she just dances the front.
That is entirely unacceptable! Of course I have tried like crazy, sit way back get into the power band in 2nd, let off slightly, crank it open full throttle and yank on the bars and only maybe a foot off the ground. Can gearing remedy this? What gearing do you have? (sorry if I missed it earlier)

·
Registered
694 Posts
These bikes and bikes in general are designed to stay down to the ground even on wot. They are racing bikes, I don’t do power wheelies because it’s dangerous (I respect those who do whatever they want) a clutch up is the same every single time, it takes such little effort and it’s instant lift of wheel at any speed incentive you learn.

A power wheelie, doesn’t bring the wheel up fast enough, on almost any bike. You may feel like you’re really high but actuality prob only have the wheel a foot or two, and you’re gaining speed very fast chasing the balance point. The clutch flicks it up efficiently without speed increase.

Power wheelie=long time to get wheel up at balance if you even can without being a ridiculous speed. And it’s not as predictable.

Clutch up- flick of throttle and clutch muscle memory it comes up the same at any and every speed once you learn. I used to power on older bikes but quickly went to clutch and will never go back to power. Just not safe. I’d recommend anyone who is wanting real balance point wheelies to switch over. I just use 1 finger and pull clutch in just enough to get into friction zone, instantly pulling throttle cracked up, and we aren’t talking bouncing rev limiter. I prob only go to 7-10k when I release clutch and I hold firm, whole sequence is prob Half a second in duration. the bike just comes up. I then use throttle and brake control to do what I want and such.

Bike comes up so much easier than my gsxr 750 too. extra torque is quite nice. once I ride with someone with a camera or GoPro I’ll get a new pic w gsxs1000. But here’s how I wheelie.

Me cruising at 65mph. I used to do sit downs but stand ups are more comfortable for duration wheelies and at balance point, leaning over to see around the fairings since can’t see over front was annoying

I just YouTuber videos, this looks like a great video. I personally don’t use the brake to squat the front down, but his demonstration is excellent of that clutch use and sound. Really is so comfortable in comparison. To a power.

Do not attempt changing gears unless you ace the wheelie movement fully. I don’t do it often, but I’ve switched from 2nd to 3rd a few tones. Not for faint of heart and it’s dangerous to a newbie. Clurchless shift at same time as keeping the balance and letting off throttle to let the clutchless shift is a pain. No real need to do it since your bike enough power to go up or down in speed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EtvaYfYy-A4

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I just realized today my TC is on 1, but I doubt that would affect doing a wheelie.
Any level of TC (1-3) will stop wheelies.

As soon as the front wheel lifts there is nothing to keep it rotating so it will slow, which the bike will interpret as rear wheel slipping and cut the power.

Only way to wheelie is to have TC off

·
Registered
643 Posts
You do need to either clutch up or bounce (shut throttle, yank throttle) to get the front up. Otherwise she just dances the front.
That is entirely unacceptable! ...What gearing do you have? (sorry if I missed it earlier)
I'm stock and not much for wheelies, yet. When they happen it's like Christmas. I've never had it lift up just on power and I'm happy to use the power.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is there anybody else out there that thinks the stock gearing is too short like I do?

All I read about here is people going even lower with smaller front sprocket AND bigger rear sprocket. What are you guys doing, drag racing off the line all the time in town?

I just ordered a 41 rear sprocket. For me the stock gearing is way too short, I find myself searching for another “7th gear” all the time on the highway, and 1st gear seems too short as well. Am I missing something?
I agree Rapido. I have only had the bike for 3 weeks so still "acclimating". But I constantly find myself clicking up for the 7th gear that isn't there...lol I have been riding like most for 20+ year and came off of a Hayabusa so the gearing was the polar opposite. But even just cruising around town or heading to the beach to meet friends today. I can't believe when I look down at 70mph and I am at 5k rpm and it seems like I am in 3rd gear or something...It's nice to have a "big bore" that doesn't require 3 downshifts but rather you can just roll on to pass on the highway. But I think the motor would like some taller gearing. It feels like there is plenty of "grunt" to make it work! Seems like she is really "revving just to do the posted speed limit on most roads and highways and I look at and bought this bike so I would and could ride it for longer periods of time on longer rides! I didn't want another sport bike I am at that age where I wanted their power but not the discomfort. So this was (and is) my happy medium. But even on the ride home from the dealer I tried multiple time to upshift when already in 6th! :eek:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I went with an 18T countershaft and I like it much better. I may even go 2 teeth less in the rear but not critical. The engine brake was way too much with the stock setting. I did have Dano's reflash my ECU not only to smooth out the throttle but to get rid of about half of the engine brake. He reduced it as much as he could and it's still more than any other bike I've owned but acceptable and still helps on the twisties when your in a go fast mode. BTW: My speedo is way off. I have the ABS version so the sprocket change shouldn't have changed the accuracy or shall we say inaccuracy. I think mine is at least 10% off. I suppose I'll need to get a speedo healer. It would be nice to know what speed you are going.

·
Registered
305 Posts
These bikes and bikes in general are designed to stay down to the ground even on wot. They are racing bikes, I don’t do power wheelies because it’s dangerous (I respect those who do whatever they want) a clutch up is the same every single time, it takes such little effort and it’s instant lift of wheel at any speed incentive you learn.

A power wheelie, doesn’t bring the wheel up fast enough, on almost any bike. You may feel like you’re really high but actuality prob only have the wheel a foot or two, and you’re gaining speed very fast chasing the balance point. The clutch flicks it up efficiently without speed increase.

Power wheelie=long time to get wheel up at balance if you even can without being a ridiculous speed. And it’s not as predictable.

Clutch up- flick of throttle and clutch muscle memory it comes up the same at any and every speed once you learn. I used to power on older bikes but quickly went to clutch and will never go back to power. Just not safe. I’d recommend anyone who is wanting real balance point wheelies to switch over. I just use 1 finger and pull clutch in just enough to get into friction zone, instantly pulling throttle cracked up, and we aren’t talking bouncing rev limiter. I prob only go to 7-10k when I release clutch and I hold firm, whole sequence is prob Half a second in duration. the bike just comes up. I then use throttle and brake control to do what I want and such.

Bike comes up so much easier than my gsxr 750 too. extra torque is quite nice. once I ride with someone with a camera or GoPro I’ll get a new pic w gsxs1000. But here’s how I wheelie.

Me cruising at 65mph. I used to do sit downs but stand ups are more comfortable for duration wheelies and at balance point, leaning over to see around the fairings since can’t see over front was annoying

I just YouTuber videos, this looks like a great video. I personally don’t use the brake to squat the front down, but his demonstration is excellent of that clutch use and sound. Really is so comfortable in comparison. To a power.

Do not attempt changing gears unless you ace the wheelie movement fully. I don’t do it often, but I’ve switched from 2nd to 3rd a few tones. Not for faint of heart and it’s dangerous to a newbie. Clurchless shift at same time as keeping the balance and letting off throttle to let the clutchless shift is a pain. No real need to do it since your bike enough power to go up or down in speed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EtvaYfYy-A4
OK, apples to apples 0:)

I am/was sort of a wheelie-addict, and the GSXS was a little disappointing in that respect.
The post I am quoting tell the story.
I never really mastered the "clutch-up" technique, and have always used "power-up/bounce-up" technique.
That is easy on a Bandit 1200, TLS, B-King.. and now "The All New Speed Triple" >:D

When I used to (try to) exercise "clutch-up" with the 1441 B-King, that resulted always in a wild tire-spin.
Same happened with my GSXS with stock gearing. When I swapped the rear sprocket to 46t I was able to do som nice 2nd gear "clutch-up" with gear change to 3rd.
So my technique must be very wrong. :crying:

21 - 40 of 44 Posts