GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is gearing chart that comes with the Vortex rear sprockets. You can see that stock gearing is 2.59 with our 17/44t sprockets.

Most go to 16/46 resulting in 2.88
I ended up with 16/45 giving me 2.81 so not a huge difference, will still do the job of giving better acceleration but not quit as much as 17/46.
Not as big of a difference as I thought.
Have all parts on hand now. Wanted & have always liked the steel Vortex sprockets. That's why I didn't care that it was only a 45t. & that 2.81 ratio will be perfect I think.
Not changing yet cuz my stock chain & sprockets have not gone totally bad yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Interestingly, going up to a 55 profile tyre on the rear is almost equivalent to going down a tooth on the rear sprocket.
Might consider this next time given my usage is mostly highway.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got the 16/45 in it now, have only put a few commutes on it so far but, feels good. Gets up on the RPM's faster. I'm liking it!
Will report more once I get some longer rides in, but so far I feel it definitely needed this & is definitely NOT too much. No highway rides yet. Write some more when I do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The time I have spent on the highway the bike seems happy at 90 mph. I think lower gearing would be fine. It is hitting around 80mph at redline in 1st, seems a little lower gearing is reasonable. Wonder what the GSXR 1000 was running. Time to Google!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts