GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my first proper ride on my 2016 GSXS today. Love almost everything about it, but I feel like it needs to be geared down so I can enjoy more of the engine before getting into going-to-prison speeds. What gearing changes have you all tried? I'm thinking of just starting with -1 on the front and see how that goes.

Also I'm having real trouble clutching up the front wheel on this bike. The lull between, say, 6k and 8-9k is giving me a really hard time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly (I'm not exactly a wheelie expert) but I'm thinking a gearing change might help there too.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The lull between, say, 6k and 8-9k is giving me a really hard time. Not sure what I'm doing wrong exactly (I'm not exactly a wheelie expert) but I'm thinking a gearing change might help there too.
That lull is horrible. It is due to the way the ECM fueling is programed to meet EU requirements. Have your ECM flashed by someone like Dano's Performance and it will be gone. Your bike will be a freaking beast from idle to 12,000 rpm. The fueling map is one of several excellent changes he will make.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My bike had the midrange flat spot....but a lull between 8 and 9K? Never felt anything from 8k up except brutal acceleration even on the stock ECU tune.

I did -1+2 and its awesome

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’m at -1 up front with a tune, and I cannot hold full throttle in first gear. It will go beyond wheelies. It would flip over backwards. I can do power wheelies in 1st thru 3rd gears with just a twist of the throttle. +2 in the back would just be for the sake of +2 in the back in my case. I loved what the -1 did, and it will be what I stick with on this bike. I may go 520 chain later, but gonna wear this stuff out first!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am just +1 up on the rear (it is the 520 setup with aluminum rear Renthal sprocket) and that is only because I run the 190/55 rear tire. Bike will still wheelie up no clutch 1-3rd but not always fully up in 3rd just depends how hard I twist the throttle back. Bike has the full system M4, BMC race air filter, Dano's ecu flash tune and not's of junk removed from it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am just +1 up on the rear (it is the 520 setup with aluminum rear Renthal sprocket) and that is only because I run the 190/55 rear tire. Bike will still wheelie up no clutch 1-3rd but not always fully up in 3rd just depends how hard I twist the throttle back. Bike has the full system M4, BMC race air filter, Dano's ecu flash tune and not's of junk removed from it.
I'm one down one up 190 / 55 cat delete Danos ECU Flash. Can you explain how you get the front up in second gear without using the clutch. Don't care how hard I hammer it it does not lift. Are you snapping the throttle open from say 7000 and bouncing or yanking on handlebars?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm one down one up 190 / 55 cat delete Danos ECU Flash. Can you explain how you get the front up in second gear without using the clutch. Don't care how hard I hammer it it does not lift. Are you snapping the throttle open from say 7000 and bouncing or yanking on handlebars?
I would guess with mine 2 up in the rear and a 55 rear with a decat our bikes would be similar. I also have the flash. Mine will easily pull the front up in second rolling into it, I have never really tried 3rd gear. Also I have never pinned the throttle in any gear, never had the need in 8000 miles.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I’m 140 lbs so I guess that might help. Guess I’ll toot my horn a little but I road raced for 17 years with WERA in the SE US and cool down win wheelies were my specialty **** if I didnt win I still did them lol. My dirtbike background goes all the way back to 12 years old and wheelies have always been a staple of me riding a dirtbike. I’m no stunted and do not proclaim to be one but I can bust a sit down wheelie on a 1000 for quite a ways.

Not all wheelies end well, I have a plate and numerous screws in my left wrist from a stand up wheelie gone wrong in 05 on a GSX-R750 back in 2006. That one hurt.!

My GSX motorbike bike totes me with ease.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not all wheelies end well

My GSX motorbike bike totes me with ease.
This exactly. And if you're asking for advice on how to wheelie on an internet forum, then you probably shouldn't be doing them on the road.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So you're just a born expert, eh?

Dick head.
The air must be thin down there in NZ.
My point was, if you were rational and logical you would find a better way to exercise your need for fully sick wheelies of awesomeness.
The type of guy to ask for very specific advanced riding advice on an internet forum is the same person to crash soon after.
In that case, carry on.
Cheers.
Cain.. aka.. Dick head.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would guess with mine 2 up in the rear and a 55 rear with a decat our bikes would be similar. I also have the flash. Mine will easily pull the front up in second rolling into it, I have never really tried 3rd gear. Also I have never pinned the throttle in any gear, never had the need in 8000 miles.
Well I guess what I'm asking is at what RPM is the front end coming up. I weigh 190 with gear so either it's a weight issue or I'm down on power. Have no problem carrying the wheel through first gear and I even have a quick shifter and sometimes I can Snick it into second and carry it a little further. The only way I can get it up in second gear is to clutch up at around 7,500 RPM with a tug on the bar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This exactly. And if you're asking for advice on how to wheelie on an internet forum, then you probably shouldn't be doing them on the road.
Not at all I was only inquiring how they are achieving this when mine doesn't seem to come up on Power in 2nd. I have to clutch up to get it to lift so I'm just wondering if I'm down on power or if I have another issue maybe weight. I'm 190 in gear.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Not at all I was only inquiring how they are achieving this when mine doesn't seem to come up on Power in 2nd. I have to clutch up to get it to lift so I'm just wondering if I'm down on power or if I have another issue maybe weight. I'm 190 in gear.
It's funny how certain variables can change performance and this would occur even between identical models. Things like high elevation will zap horsepower, fuel quality etc.

I know that my bike with decat vs full system lacked 10hp on the Dyno by comparison. A fair chunk of that in the midrange where it's noticeable.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have my bike geared like alot of others. -1 front and +2 rear with a 190/55/17 tire and have had my ecu flashed and my rev limiter raised to 12,500. I really like this combination! Also my chain and sprockets are 520.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
im one of those guys who never got the wheelie thing down....once it starts to come up i let off no matter how many times i tell myself not to chop the throttle,,,,so i have never got into them and thinking about it now was probably a good thing ....my 16 stock comes up no problem with a little slip of the clutch and tc brings it down nice and easy for the few times im feeling like a 20 year old with half a brain

1 - 20 of 43 Posts