GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I have to replace my generator cover with a new one and I would like to know if it is easy to replace as I have not experience (I could guess I should remove all bolts that is easy) so do you suggest better i bring the bike to the mechanic or I can do easily by myself just following some steps?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I havent done this job on the GSXS (So I bow to those who reply who have), however I've done it on a few other bikes [did a mates VFR a few weeks ago).

It isnt a difficult job, but can be fiddly - much easier with 2 pairs of hands. Youll need to unscrew the cover (a bit of oil will come out) and break the seal, then presumably as with other bikes, not much cable slack but undo the winding bolts [which are on a frame] on the inside of the cover (take a photo first to ensure it all relocates the same - these are often loctited in place, so make sure you are ready with more than some cheap allen keys (I use allen sockets and a 1/2" drive). Clean the old gasket off of both faces and have a new gasket and RTV ready to go.

Refit the windings to the new cover and put the new gasket on using some RTV to stop it falling off and improving the seal. Bosh it all back together.

I've done faired bikes and some [most] need the fairing taken off first - so this may also need to be factored in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts