GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been ringing my dealer for the last two weeks about getting my first service booked in! First of all they said they wanted £155 for the service, surely it's either free or I just pay for parts?! Now they keep saying they are going to get back to me with availability to get it booked in, but it's been two weeks now Getting really p*ssed off now!!!

There's another dealer not too far from me is another Suzuki dealer I'm tempted to just book it in with them and tell the original dealer to shove it!

Sorry just had to vent! On the plus side I picked up my new car well new to me this week! :). So not all doom and gloom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
The days of a free first service seem to be long gone. I tend to use it as a negotiation tool but this bike was the first where I didn't manage to get parts and labour thrown in, just the labour. As it happened mine was delayed in the whole recall debacle so they gave me a totally free first service in the end.

£150 - £160 is about right for a main dealer inspection service, that's what I've been quoted when shopping around for my bike.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
i never did a first service before on any bike....don,t effect warranty in USA ....but i did on my s ..was part of the 5 year warranty deal....mine was 265 dollars....if i where paying id pass on that......but then again im getting old ..i like when my chain is cleaned

·
Registered
379 Posts
The first service is a 3-4 hour process of removing parts, checking bolt torques, reading electrical codes, and checking fluids. It's not just an oil change and a chain cleaning.

I tried to negotiate it too, but they said they don't do that anymore - something about it now being billed hourly or something.

Any dealership should be fine - any shop should be happy to get your service if you're paying them a few hundred bucks or whatever to service your bike.

Personally I think it's well worth it. I did my 'first' first service myself, and honestly could only do about 85-90% of it with the tools I had (no electrical readings, didn't have the right tool to torque 1 or 2 things, etc). I did this with the Suzuki Factory Manual for our bike.

I since totaled that bike and got a new one. This one I will bring to a shop and pay them, it takes way too much time without the right tools/shop/etc. And this is coming from a guy with a Suzuki 1100 engine split in half in his garage.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The first service is a 3-4 hour process of removing parts, checking bolt torques, reading electrical codes, and checking fluids. It's not just an oil change and a chain cleaning.

i would like to think they do all that...im planning on doing the service once a year....joe i really really like my chain cleaned :)...

·
Registered
379 Posts

i would like to think they do all that...im planning on doing the service once a year....joe i really really like my chain cleaned :)...
Touche'

·
Registered
719 Posts
I ve always looked at the first service like an active process, im always checking torque spec and chain slack anyways. The only item in the first service that was not doable was checking the exhaust servo was with voltage spec......I removed the exhaust and installed arrow headers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my dealer has finally got back to me, 5th may im booked in for! They told me it cost so much because they have to balance the throttle bodies or something along that line, involves lifting the tank and so on, so when I take it in ill ask them what they are doing and let you all know, as this is the first ive heard of it, and the guy on the phone said its a semi new thing that suzuki had brought out on the first service, only for our bike though! If I can, ill get some photos and so on!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well my dealer has finally got back to me, 5th may im booked in for! They told me it cost so much because they have to balance the throttle bodies or something along that line, involves lifting the tank and so on, so when I take it in ill ask them what they are doing and let you all know, as this is the first ive heard of it, and the guy on the phone said its a semi new thing that suzuki had brought out on the first service, only for our bike though! If I can, ill get some photos and so on!
never did that for mine when i took it , just change oil and filter and tighten anything loose

·
Registered
156 Posts
First service from a dealer is timed for 2.5hrs... Suzuki s own timing.
Just had mine done £99.... parts only...suzuki pay for the Labour so I'm told for new bikes.
Takes less than 2hrs to do and even that's taking your time....its a tyre kicking exercise if it's the same dealer that did the PDI when the bike was assembled and sold.

·
Registered
726 Posts
My dealer just changed oil and filter ..took 20 mins and cost me £100 ..bloody expensive just for a stamp in the book..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hope there not having me on! Hopefully they won't mind if I watch while they do it to see what they actually do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts