GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted last week that I gotten a Givi D3110ST windscreen from a dealer in Italy.

It simply uses the standard mounts (albeit with included longer bolts and washers). I'm about 5'8" and the top of the screen comes up to just below my shoulders and it is quite a bit wider than stock.

Performance-wise there's a considerable difference between it and the stock screen. It directs air completely over my head, but there is still a decent amount of buffeting around the chest area at speeds above 80mph/128kmh. I think this is due to (1) not allowing air to enter at the bottom point of the screen (like the stock and MRA ones do) and, more importantly, due to (2) the cut outs necessary to clear the brake master and mirrors when the bars are turned. It should be noted that I have both SW-Motech bar risers and mirror risers so the mirror master cylinder and mirror stalks are raised by a number of inches. The screen's cutouts are large enough to support this setup, but that's also what probably accounts for the buffeting. I must say, though, that there is a not a lot of extra noise generated by the buffeting, just that there's wind on the chest, but none on the head. That said, it's much better than the stock shield.

Would I recommend it? Yes, but I'd probably like to compare it to the MRA screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I posted last week that I gotten a Givi D3110ST windscreen from a dealer in Italy.

It simply uses the standard mounts (albeit with included longer bolts and washers). I'm about 5'8" and the top of the screen comes up to just below my shoulders and it is quite a bit wider than stock.

Performance-wise there's a considerable difference between it and the stock screen. It directs air completely over my head, but there is still a decent amount of buffeting around the chest area at speeds above 80mph/128kmh. I think this is due to (1) not allowing air to enter at the bottom point of the screen (like the stock and MRA ones do) and, more importantly, due to (2) the cut outs necessary to clear the brake master and mirrors when the bars are turned. It should be noted that I have both SW-Motech bar risers and mirror risers so the mirror master cylinder and mirror stalks are raised by a number of inches. The screen's cutouts are large enough to support this setup, but that's also what probably accounts for the buffeting. I must say, though, that there is a not a lot of extra noise generated by the buffeting, just that there's wind on the chest, but none on the head. That said, it's much better than the stock shield.

Would I recommend it? Yes, but I'd probably like to compare it to the MRA screen.

Good report Gregg. I also bought the same screen probably from the same dealer in Italy and think you sum it up really well. I bought the Powerbronze aeroflow screen as well. Maybe I have a screen fetish! Anyway it's all down to personal preference and I've decided to sell the Givi touring screen so if anyone in the UK wants to make me a sensible offer just PM me and we can work something out. Cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After a few long rides, I've decided that the buffeting is a bit much (and might actually be worse than the stock screen) so I've ordered the MRA Racing Screen (it's the taller of the two models they offer). I'll report on the new unit once I have it installed.

Reactions: Dave R

·
Registered
102 Posts
We must think alike Gregg as I too thought the buffeting was annoying. I actually took a saw to mine and cut the top half off! To me it looks and performs much better and I have no intention of changing it. Be interested to hear what you think of the MRA though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
After a few long rides, I've decided that the buffeting is a bit much (and might actually be worse than the stock screen) so I've ordered the MRA Racing Screen (it's the taller of the two models they offer). I'll report on the new unit once I have it installed.
Where are you guys ordering the MRA Racing Screen from, I only see it available in Europe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts