GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I changed the oil in my 2016 GSX-S1000F @21500 miles and noticed the oil looked cloudy. Upon closer inspection, it seemed to be full of very fine metal dust. I had a few nasty misshifts so I figured it might be from the tranny, but the oil drain plug was completely clean and the metal isn’t magnetic.

I’m at a loss here. I was meticulous about maintaining the thing. I don’t see any other posts in the forum regarding glittery oil. Does this oil look abnormal to you guys? I really hope I’m not looking at an engine swap for this POS.

Brown Dishware Ingredient Amber Rectangle

·
Registered
2016 f
431 Posts
So it is actual metal ?, or looks like metal, it would most likely be alluminium, or plastic, the camchain make any noise ?, if the tension is too loose or too tight it can chew the chain guides, cold starts and caning it cold can eat plain bearing shells, another possible source is the oil pump rotors, if you chip a tgear tooth, the pump can hoover up fine fragments causing oil pump wear, mine had scored rotors after only 35,000km, the rotors then grind the pump body, , not too dificult to do some basic checks to inspect a few possibilities

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it is actual metal ?, or looks like metal, it would most likely be alluminium, or plastic, the camchain make any noise ?, if the tension is too loose or too tight it can chew the chain guides, cold starts and caning it cold can eat plain bearing shells, another possible source is the oil pump rotors, if you chip a tgear tooth, the pump can hoover up fine fragments causing oil pump wear, mine had scored rotors after only 35,000km, the rotors then grind the pump body, , not too dificult to do some basic checks to inspect a few possibilities
Yeah now that you mention it, the motor’s always been a little noisy at startup. I’ll certainly check both the tensioner and the pump then. Thanks for the ideas!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Probably clutch material that has clumped together - the cloudiness of used motorcycle engine oil is usually clutch material.

Unless there are other symptoms, then i probably wouldnt worry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably clutch material that has clumped together - the cloudiness of used motorcycle engine oil is usually clutch material.

Unless there are other symptoms, then i probably wouldnt worry.
OK, I'll probably change the oil again and keep an eye on things until next maintenance. Thank you man.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Wow that oil looks clean.. Are the oil drain plugs magnetic?? did you cut open your oil filter?? Those nasty mis shifts "i have heard of them but never seen one on a suzuki" may just be a little clutch plate basket material.... I know someone that has over 100k miles on his 1kgsxs with no issues.. if it were me i would flush the bike new oil filter ride 100 miles and change it again...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow that oil looks clean.. Are the oil drain plugs magnetic?? did you cut open your oil filter?? Those nasty mis shifts "i have heard of them but never seen one on a suzuki" may just be a little clutch plate basket material.... I know someone that has over 100k miles on his 1kgsxs with no issues.. if it were me i would flush the bike new oil filter ride 100 miles and change it again...
Yeah, I’m pretty sure the drain plug is magnetic. It has what appears to be a small black ferrous magnet embedded in the tip. I actually sat down with a Dremel and cut open my filter. In retrospect, it was kinda a stupid way to do it since Dremeling produces metal dust... In any case, there was nothing inside. Tbh the misshifts are from me just not shifting firmly enough. Not the bike‘s fault at all. And yes, I flushed the old oil and put in some cheap oil yesterday so I can monitor the situation. Much thanks for the advice!

·
Banned
156 Posts
Yeah, I’m pretty sure the drain plug is magnetic. It has what appears to be a small black ferrous magnet embedded in the tip. I actually sat down with a Dremel and cut open my filter. In retrospect, it was kinda a stupid way to do it since Dremeling produces metal dust... In any case, there was nothing inside. Tbh the misshifts are from me just not shifting firmly enough. Not the bike‘s fault at all. And yes, I flushed the old oil and put in some cheap oil yesterday so I can monitor the situation. Much thanks for the advice!
keep us updated....

·
Registered
81 Posts
For $25 you can send a sample out for analysis and they'll tell you exactly what is in it...I use Blackstone Labs but there are a number of folks who offer the service.

It's amazing what an oil analysis will tell you about the condition of a motor.

·
Registered
339 Posts
honestly, I wouldn't concern myself over it. engines are always wearing down. nothing there would concern me. Ive always seen little speckles in my oil. and they've never died.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts