GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started with poor gas mileage on my SUV, so I began looking at Tesla as a “green” option over the holidays.

Then suddenly it hit me to look at electric motorcycles as well, and the timing couldn’t be better with 3 new releases this year by Harley, Zero, and Lightning.

Reduced maintenance, instant power, and no clutch were some of the benefits that jumped out at me. Zero’s new launch looks good...and Lightning has yet to reveal their $13K Strike motorcycle.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/

I know there is a price premium and many reasons to stay with the ICE-cycles. I do very short trips (less than 50 miles), so the limited distance before a recharge is not an issue for me.

Anyone else out there looking to go green in the future?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
It started with poor gas mileage on my SUV, so I began looking at Tesla as a “green” option over the holidays.

Then suddenly it hit me to look at electric motorcycles as well, and the timing couldn’t be better with 3 new releases this year by Harley, Zero, and Lightning.

Reduced maintenance, instant power, and no clutch were some of the benefits that jumped out at me. Zero’s new launch looks good...and Lightning has yet to reveal their $13K Strike motorcycle.

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/

I know there is a price premium and many reasons to stay with the ICE-cycles. I do very short trips (less than 50 miles), so the limited distance before a recharge is not an issue for me.

Anyone else out there looking to go green in the future?
I've looked at the Zero's (and the Harley's and the Lightnings) and I think Zero is probably the leader right now for anything I might want to (or could) justify price wise (if your rich, that doesn't matter and go buy a Lightning). I've also looked at some of the Chinese e-groms that are pretty cheap and look really fun.

In the end though, I just haven't found a price point / performance that puts e-motorcycles in anything other than the novelty or cost prohibitive category.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It is the future for sure , there isn't endless amounts of oil in the ground. But the range is not good enough for me and the sound of well nothing doesn't appeal to me. No shifting forget it, I love the sound of my bike on a downshift.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the end though, I just haven't found a price point / performance that puts e-motorcycles in anything other than the novelty or cost prohibitive category.
I agree that the high price (along with the decrease in distance) will deter many from switching.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'd love to put one in my garage alongside my current bikes. It'd be my commuter, however, with a round trip of around a hundred miles including some stop and go traffic and no place to recharge at work, I'm afraid that I'm still not in range for one of those, so my paid for FJR will continue to handle that job.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Take a ride on them. I rode the Livewire pre-production unit at the promo event and it was a hoot. Lots of immediate torque, and felt super tiny. Almost perfect for a commuter. That said, the production Livewire is way too much $$$.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts