GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm moving to an island (O'ahu!!) and decided I want to simplify my life. So my baby is going to be up for sale. Blue, 4,500 miles, in excellent condition - all service performed per the manual, torqued to spec, and only Top Tier gas and quality oil/filter used. The bike is relatively stock with a few upgrades:

Racetech G3 shock - loaded w/ hydraulic preload, height adjustable, hi/low/compression damping
Racetech 1.0kg fork springs
Sargent custom seat
ASV levers (black w/ blue adjuster)
R&G frame, cover, and axle sliders

I'll include:

SW Motech luggge
Kriega 10l dry bag
Abba superbike stand
Fork stand
Suzuki Maintenance Manual
Stock shock

Asking $7500 - REDUCED to $6500 for forum members. Located near LAX.

I'm not interested in removing parts for sale, sorry.

·
Registered
985 Posts
What island if you don't mind saying? Sorry to see you go - I know you'll miss the Gixxus.

·
Registered
444 Posts
GLWS. Nice modifications. I'll take your rear shock if you want to uninstall it. Though it will be a tuff sell at that price given new ones are selling for around the same.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
GLWS. Nice modifications. I'll take your rear shock if you want to uninstall it. Though it will be a tuff sell at that price given new ones are selling for around the same.
im thinking those bikes and prices are pretty much gone..there few and far between now...those extras add up to some coin also,,,,joe keep us posted with the sale,,,,goodluck

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im thinking those bikes and prices are pretty much gone..there few and far between now...those extras add up to some coin also,,,,joe keep us posted with the sale,,,,goodluck
Thanks - I pulled values from KBB and NADA and tried to price it accordingly, albeit on the high side since part of me doesn't want to let it go. What's a reasonable asking price? I wouldn't be happy taking less than $7000. I think the shock is really the only upgrade that would effectively change the value of the bike - they're $1200 when fully loaded.

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
You are fortunate that we are coming into bike buying season. The down side is it seems like maybe you have a dead date to get rid of it and it's a bike not appreciated by the masses. Depending on how long you can sit on it, you might need to have it "Priced to move." Unfortunately due to the fact it's not a "Gixxer" or a "Ninja" you are likely going to take a bath on it unless you can find a smart buyer who knows and appreciates the bike.

Reactions: TheDude

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you have the means to do the work yourself, I'd pull the shock and sell it separately. You can probably get a few bucks for the luggage, Abba stand, and Sargent seat too. Then you'll be able to afford to sell the bike for a bit less. Unfortunately, these bikes don't have a huge market. So it will either take time, a really low price, or both to get it sold.

Also, post some good pics if you want to sell it!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I've lowered the price a bit. The good thing is it's pretty much always bike season in SoCal and there aren't many of them around. Too bad people don't know what they're missing.

I know I'd need to find the right buyer - that's what I was after originally, thinking I'll ship it if I don't.

I'm really torn - I love the idea of a 170cc scooter that can go anywhere on the island, but also ride around traffic and park on sidewalks (Genuine Buddy 170 is same frame/body as their 50cc so I can get away with that). I worry about storage mostly with the GSXS - there's almost zero chance I'll end up with garage space, but some chance I'll have covered outdoor space if I'm patient. And that won't be until I find a job, so bike would end up in storage unit for awhile.

But alternative is to get a 50cc moped for commuting, and use the bike for getting around the island. That still sounds/feels cumbersome I guess.

I recall riding around Hawaii on a moped and wishing I had a motorcycle, but I think that was on the 50cc? The 170cc is plenty fast/powerful enough, although it does feel a little sketchy at 65-70mph.

I'll keep reflecting on it. But if a forum member wants the bike, I'd do $6500 for one of you guys, everything included. I'm not taking anything off the bike (sorry).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think I would sell my truck before selling my bike if I was moving back to Oahu. I lived on Oahu for three years while in the Navy. The only wheels I had was a CBR900RR. Some good riding there and met some good guys to ride with. You can also have your bike transported to the "Big Island - Hawaii" for some really great riding. I lived on base at Pearl Harbor for the first few months and then shared a three bedroom townhouse with a two car garage with a couple of coworkers. Garage space is tough to find there but not impossible. It's been twenty years since I left but I doubt it has changed too drastically.
If there's anything I can answer for you about living on Oahu give me a shout.

Enjoy the Hawaiian sunshine!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I would sell my truck before selling my bike if I was moving back to Oahu. I lived on Oahu for three years while in the Navy. The only wheels I had was a CBR900RR. Some good riding there and met some good guys to ride with. You can also have your bike transported to the "Big Island - Hawaii" for some really great riding. I lived on base at Pearl Harbor for the first few months and then shared a three bedroom townhouse with a two car garage with a couple of coworkers. Garage space is tough to find there but not impossible. It's been twenty years since I left but I doubt it has changed too drastically.
If there's anything I can answer for you about living on Oahu give me a shout.

Enjoy the Hawaiian sunshine!
That's actually just what I need! I feel like the riding there would be so limited (didn't think about shipping to Hawaii though) that it just wouldn't be worth it. I'll send PM.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I lowered the price a bit. I got one offer today for $5600 which seems pretty low to me. But the sad part is I'm actually thinking about it :( That would be like selling it there for $6600 if I were to factor in shipping. I can't believe I'm having such a hard time with this - I guess I'm really attached to the bike. It doesn't seem to make a ton of sense to ship a motorcycle out (for me - considering my idea of riding is canyons, twisties, and travelling). I lost a LOT more money on my car than I would on this bike, and yet that was easy to sell...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Do you a job waiting on you in Hawaii?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The bike sold yesterday. I honestly can't believe how sick and sad I felt. It wasn't so much the money - when you factor in ~$1000 to ship the bike it's like I got what I asked for but in Hawaii. The part that really sucked was the guy's low ball approach - seeing it and knowing it, and letting him have it anyway. If I wasn't moving it would have been a very short interaction! And of course, the other part that really sucked is the memories and adventures, and all the energy I invested into that bike (especially since I crashed one and replaced it, did suspension twice, custom seat twice, etc) all in just over a year.

But, an Uber driver set me straight! That bike served a purpose and it was a gift to use it while I had it. I have great memories and am lucky to have owned such a cool, fitting bike. Now I'm on to new things in a new place. But I like 'stuff' and love life on 2 wheels, so I just put a deposit on a new 170cc Genuine Hooligan which will be waiting for me when I arrive:

Island Transportation!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The bike sold yesterday. I honestly can't believe how sick and sad I felt. It wasn't so much the money - when you factor in ~$1000 to ship the bike it's like I got what I asked for but in Hawaii. The part that really sucked was the guy's low ball approach - seeing it and knowing it, and letting him have it anyway. If I wasn't moving it would have been a very short interaction! And of course, the other part that really sucked is the memories and adventures, and all the energy I invested into that bike (especially since I crashed one and replaced it, did suspension twice, custom seat twice, etc) all in just over a year.

But, an Uber driver set me straight! That bike served a purpose and it was a gift to use it while I had it. I have great memories and am lucky to have owned such a cool, fitting bike. Now I'm on to new things in a new place. But I like 'stuff' and love life on 2 wheels, so I just put a deposit on a new 170cc Genuine Hooligan which will be waiting for me when I arrive:

Island Transportation!
Rip up the island on that baby...looks like a blast..im sure there will be many guys with tht style meeting up for coffee at night and rides....im sure you will have the fastest on the island...best of luck to ya.Joe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts