GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As the title says, I purchased my first Pirelli tire ever today: a Diablo Rosso III in 190/55ZR17 for the back.

I am just happy to get back some traction in the back. Sharing happiness! :)

My stock Dunlop had nothing left in the middle at 6500km, pushed it to almost 7000km but the lasts miles were not fun at all (TC=3). I am taking it easy for now to complete break in safely. I am keeping it in TC=3 at all time for a bit. I am at only 30km on the tire so far. Time will tell how good of a choice I made.

I am planning on making the gearing shorter to compensate for the back tire since the increase, and then some more. Likely -1 teeth in the front and +2 tooth in the back. Needless to say I already wanted shorter gearing before the tire change. :)

So far:
-I immediately noticed the back is standing higher. I think I like the new stance, it's a bit more aggressive, the bike probably wants to lean in curves more easily/earlier. It will probably help slightly to keep the bike on the ground once I go with shorter gearing too, which is a plus to me. Not a fan of continuous wheelies.
-the tire seems to be easier to lean. It feels more round. I like it. But that could also be me getting used to ride with a back wear/square tire. I bet its a combination of that, the Pirelli tire construction itself , and the new tire size.
-Did not experience any slippage. Much better than with my Dunlop on its first few miles. That's a good start!

Looking forward to take it out of TC=3 by tomorrow! :D Now I just need the weather to allow me to give the bike a few miles!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the Rosso 3 on the rear of an RSV4... lovely tyre and the first Pirelli I've found tht didn't much warm up time....good sporty choice

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good! I'm almost jaleous on the RSV4 with Rosso III! :)
That's pretty much why I bough this bike: 90% of the sport bike performance, but more comfy/convenient on the streets. I never wanted a true sport tourer with room for luggage, more weight, softer suspension, tires that last 4-5 years, etc. A true sticky tire driven tough should be gone by 10k-ish KM. :)

Speaking of, the compound seems very soft, which I like. Even softer than the stockers, which I thought were soft and offering decent dry grip.

The shop tried to sell me a pair since I was changing brand. I said I would give a shot to the back one first. So far, I'm happy I did. I never rode with tires not matched before, but I'm pretty sure any front tires cleans the pavement for the back one, no matter how the thread differs. Maybe I'll try to be (even) more careful on the first few drives in the rain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. Took a 400km drive yesterday (TC=2). Went to a twisty road where I was able to lean the bike. Most of the round tire surface has now been tested. :) I can now say the bike handles and sticks to the pavement great, better than with the old Dunlop! Since I changed the size as well, there are more than 1 variable. It's hard to say if it's the new Pirelli or the size that makes it better. Or a bit of both. In any case, this tire has not failed giving me traction yet. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Pirelli tires are awsome, when I had my Tuono that was the only brand I put on that bike.Matter of fact I just put a set on my Suzuki . I got the Russo 11 on sale , I know it's not the latest model but I couldn't pass up $250 for front and rear

·
Registered
894 Posts
One of the tires on my list to try. But, this....

I never wanted a true sport tourer with room for luggage, more weight, softer suspension, tires that last 4-5 years, etc. A true sticky tire driven tough should be gone by 10k-ish KM. :)
is freaking hilarious. 10,000 km in 4-5 years? Try 24,000 km on a set of tires that will let you drag hard parts at the race track on the sport tourer, but gone in a year because you don't buy a sport tourer to only ride 2500 a year. Many guys will burn those 25k km's in a couple of months, I'm not hard core like they are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A great tyre, I got 10000km from them the rear, so much more grip than the rubbish stock Dunlop’s, you will be hard to brake traction with them and engage the traction control on setting 3 in the dry. They also have excellent grip when cold and in the wet. The construction is much lighter then the stock Dunlop’s which makes the bike want to turn in easier.
You will be happy with them

·
Registered
437 Posts
Update. Took a 400km drive yesterday (TC=2). Went to a twisty road where I was able to lean the bike. Most of the round tire surface has now been tested. :) I can now say the bike handles and sticks to the pavement great, better than with the old Dunlop! Since I changed the size as well, there are more than 1 variable. It's hard to say if it's the new Pirelli or the size that makes it better. Or a bit of both. In any case, this tire has not failed giving me traction yet. :)
I do have to ask "why bother buying a sticky tyre then run around with traction control on 2 and 3?"
I have had traction on 1 from day one with dunlops, it flashed once or twice on wet roads never even had a flicker from it on the pr4s wet or dry, the only reason its not switched off is I dont like the orange light on the dash.

Seems to me to be a strange thing to buy a "sticky" tyre then turn the traction control on :confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have to ask "why bother buying a sticky tyre then run around with traction control on 2 and 3?"

I have had traction on 1 from day one with dunlops, it flashed once or twice on wet roads never even had a flicker from it on the pr4s wet or dry, the only reason its not switched off is I dont like the orange light on the dash.

Seems to me to be a strange thing to buy a "sticky" tyre then turn the traction control on :confused:

Hey man,

This is just for safety on the first 100 kms. Better safe than sorry! I very rarely use TC3 nirmally! But I would recommend to anyone. Brand new tire can be very slipery. These pirelli were actually OK, but my stock dunlops had a very slipery ‘coating’ on them. I thought they were very dangerous on the firsts 10-20 kms. And, unlike cars, bikes have only 2 tires to share grip, use different contact patch when leaning, etc. Using TC==3 for a couple hours is a very low price to pay for safety imo. But it’s up to everyone! Peace and stay safe guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then I admit running with tc==2 for 400 km was probably over doing it. Still had fun and return home safely so ..

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the tires on my list to try. But, this....

is freaking hilarious. 10,000 km in 4-5 years? Try 24,000 km on a set of tires that will let you drag hard parts at the race track on the sport tourer, but gone in a year because you don't buy a sport tourer to only ride 2500 a year. Many guys will burn those 25k km's in a couple of months, I'm not hard core like they are.

Ok, maybe I waa not clear. i was not referring at drivin 2.5k km a year. I was saying I’m NOT buying a tire for 4-5 years of my riding. Read this 20-25k km if you will. Ok if it does last so long, but I’m fine with about 2 years. Basically, i like soft compounds that has traction like ****! With the snow around in winters here, this is a seasonal hobby. 6000-7000 km is generally a good year for me. What i also meant is i did not buy the bike to commute. I use it as a hobby and I’m on the hunt for twisties 99% of the time I use it. I am therefore generally making the tradoff of grip over durability. I’m sure there are great touring tires that can last much more than what I buy and offer good grip, but I’m leaning toward the sportier side, i want to keep decent milage while having the best grip. That’s why I don’t go with the more extreme tires more suited for the track either. To each his own... peace out!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hey man,

This is just for safety on the first 100 kms. Better safe than sorry! I very rarely use TC3 nirmally! But I would recommend to anyone. Brand new tire can be very slipery. These pirelli were actually OK, but my stock dunlops had a very slipery ‘coating’ on them. I thought they were very dangerous on the firsts 10-20 kms. And, unlike cars, bikes have only 2 tires to share grip, use different contact patch when leaning, etc. Using TC==3 for a couple hours is a very low price to pay for safety imo. But it’s up to everyone! Peace and stay safe guys!

Ah right I understand now you were only using TC3 till you scrub the tyre in.
Yes sensible, thought you were saying sticky tyre and running around on TC 3 or TC 2 all the time

Regards

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh and the rosso 3 has still shown to be a perfect fit for me! The tire has never failed to give me grip at tc==1. Still love the shape of the new tire size, though I don’t notice it anymore. I unfortunately did not ride as much this year, about 4k km, and 99% of it was on this tire. Mostly spirited driving! :) I am happy to report the tire looks round and good! I was aiming at 10-12k total (roughly 2 seasons for me, it looks very reachable. Anything beyond will just be a bonus! The only downside I found is it is pricier than most other tires from the same category.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ok, maybe I waa not clear. i was not referring at drivin 2.5k km a year. I was saying I’m NOT buying a tire for 4-5 years of my riding. Read this 20-25k km if you will. Ok if it does last so long, but I’m fine with about 2 years. Basically, i like soft compounds that has traction like ****! With the snow around in winters here, this is a seasonal hobby. 6000-7000 km is generally a good year for me. What i also meant is i did not buy the bike to commute. I use it as a hobby and I’m on the hunt for twisties 99% of the time I use it. I am therefore generally making the tradoff of grip over durability. I’m sure there are great touring tires that can last much more than what I buy and offer good grip, but I’m leaning toward the sportier side, i want to keep decent milage while having the best grip. That’s why I don’t go with the more extreme tires more suited for the track either. To each his own... peace out!
I get it, that's why I added this bike next to my garage next to my sport touring bike. But your idea of sport touring riders, bikes and tires are way off. I just wish I had more twisties to ride, so flat and straight in this area of the country. But that's what track days are for!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good luck with Pirelli tyres as street tyres in the past had many - long warm up time, for track perhaps one of the best though. As for Michelin street tyres- no comparison they have better feel, technology, durability & high grip and importantly quicker warm up time making them better/safer street tyres

1 - 16 of 16 Posts