GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to mount the GPS that did not require the use of the aux power supply in the headlight cowl so I can transfer it to the other bikes and my car.

Items I used.

1. Tomtom xl 5 inch screen which I use in my car
2. 6 inch water proof GPS case I bought on ebay. $13.99AUD
3. Foam spacers that came with the GPS
3. USB to Mini USB cable that came with the Tomtom.
4. Generic power bank/power brick portable power scource 50000mAh from ebay $14.99AUD
5. Velcro strap 10 inch adjustable
6. 4 M6 x 10mm screws and nuts

I removed the ball mount and screwed the inside mounting plate to the outside and sandwiched the Velcro strap. I used the foam spacers to cushion the unit and create a secure base that wont scratch the bar clamps.

I rode around for 1 hour with the GPS on and with full brightness and the power brick still had 95% remaining.
The unit didn't move around.

I'm not usually on the bike for more than 5 hours in a day. And its super easy to detach the whole unit.

This will also work with my phone and will probably consume less power from the power bank.

So if you have a car GPS 6 inch or less, this is a cost effective way to have a removable waterproof/resistant GPS mount without having to buy a dedicated unit which can be an extra few $100s of dollars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks good. I've tried various solutions for this and ended up getting a waterproof smartphone (Sony Xperia Z3 Compact) which I mount to the top clamp using a RAM mount (the one that replaces one of the clamp bolts with a ball). I haven't done the same to my GSXS yet but to be honest I've found having my phone in my pocket is good enough as the voice instructions come through my Sena, plus no risk of it falling and fewer visual distractions.

This is definitely the best setup I've had - Google Maps navigation is solid and so far haven't used it on a journey where battery life could be an issue. I'm going to get a USB charger from the battery under the seat so I can stick my phone in there on longer journeys.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've stopped looking at my phone. It gets dangerous at speed. Instead I have my phone charging under the passenger seat and just Bluetooth to my helmet where I use Siri for instructions and Waze for navigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts