GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got the suzuki grip heaters ? I had them fitted new at the dealers . The left grip only gets hot half way round the grip and the throttle grip only gets warm at the finger tips . This is on maximum heat , if it was on anything else it would be only luke warm if that ! Anyone had similar and do the get really hot and all the way round ? Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've been looking at grip heaters and the Suzuki ones look identical to the Honda ones, so I suspect they are made by the same company back in Japan. The Honda version come as either 180 degree heating (half grip) , or 360 degree heating (full grip). What you describe sounds like the Suzuki versions are the 180 degree type.

I had Oxford premium touring heated grips on my last bike, but the controller box is too big and ugly so I've just bought the Honda 360 degree versions for the GSX-S

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in dispute with suzuki at the min and have put in a waranty claim over them. The dealer has promised it will be resolved in my favour, but have to wait for suzuki first. I have had the oxford type before and they were so hot almost to hot . Would prefer those at the min to the suzuki ones .

·
Registered
593 Posts
Do they have three or five heat settings? Suzuki list the GSX-S grips as five heat settings, but take a look at the attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have what looks like an identical switch but it is definately 5 settings . Do you know if the gsxs grip heaters are 360 ?

·
Registered
355 Posts
ive had oxford grips beofre but i may give the RST battery heated gloves a go this year.
After a bit of research, I bought the Gerbing G3 heated gloves from Revzilla. They're direct from the battery via a temperature controller. I've always been a bit disappointed with heated grips for several reasons. The G3's seem to have a good rep. Where I live in NZ, we only get a handful of light frosts per year and now into spring so will have to wait until next year to try them!

·
Registered
415 Posts
My left one is 360 warm all over but the right one only heats up around the fingers. The palm area is cold. Not happy about that and will be asking for a replacement during the first service.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I used the Oxford heated grips but found them ineffective at speed as the wind chill factor over came them. Now I use Gerbing heated gloves with a controller as the batteries were useless because if you didn't keep them on permanent charge they went flat & would not recharge. Almost as good is the blizzard bark busters hand guards as they keep the wind chill off your hands, which is what beats you. Take care.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My left one is 360 warm all over but the right one only heats up around the fingers. The palm area is cold. Not happy about that and will be asking for a replacement during the first service.
yeah it sounds like one of the strip elements has broken. Keep us updated as im sure they are a consideration for many on here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm getting the grips 'inspected' tomorrow. After that it's a warranty issue. Luckily it's coming into summer so I can live without them if there is some delay. I have another issue, I found three of the tail light LEDS have died and am getting those replaced with the first service. The dealer has been obliging, as they should, so I'm not fussed. It's why I have a warranty.

·
Registered
593 Posts
*EEK* not good about your tail light, will have to keep an eye on mine. I'd be surprised if they were individually removable LEDs, most likely a sealed unit.

My Honda grips arrived yesterday so I ran them up on the bench. After 5 mins on the max setting they were up to between 85c and 92c regardless of where I measured, so I reckon they'll be OK on the bike! The control box and bracket look identical to the Suzuki versions and have the same 5 heat settings, but the grip design on the Suzuki site looks like the older Honda versions (I have the newer design)

I often toy with the idea of heated gloves, but I'm not out in all weathers so I prefer the convenience of heated grips.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dealer contacted me to say that suzuki have said that they only heat up 180' . Dealer has given my money back no problem and told me to keep the grips or they will take them off for me . Positive Result I think ....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts