GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people, I was thinking about buying this bike after 2 years and 20000 km with a sv limited to 47 hp because of euro A2 license restriction, I can't find a way to test ride the bike so it's kind of a blind purchase, my question is, is this too much of a bike to step on from the sv 650.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hello people, I was thinking about buying this bike after 2 years and 20000 km with a sv limited to 47 hp because of euro A2 license restriction, I can't find a way to test ride the bike so it's kind of a blind purchase, my question is, is this too much of a bike to step on from the sv 650.

Many thanks.
no buy and enjoy

·
Registered
79 Posts
I started on an sv650, then moved onto a KTM 990 sm-t, I had the same concerns then but as a mature rider I could do a test ride.. from that I figured as long as I was restrained with the throttle I would be okay. Apart from being caught by a speed camera doing silly stuff once I was fine with the transition...

After about 10 years with triples and twins, and with the last 5 of those with a rocket 3 roadster (2.3 litre, 220nm torque and heavy) I traded the rocket in for a 68 plate gsx-s1000....I'm still not used to it, il4 sports bikes are rapid! It's very very eager once the revs are up...

Bottom line, if you can keep yourself out of trouble and have enough self control you'll be fine....but if you go too far the bike will take you where you don't want to be!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started really old with motorcycles, I have been riding only for 3 years but I'm almost 40, so no silly stuff for me. Frankly a gsx s750f would have been good enough but that doesn't exist and I would like to try the fairing, maybe I'm expecting too much and the fairing will not make that big a difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Go for it Barry, you won't want for more! I started in my early thirties... you'll be fine.

The fairing with stock screen does something, it's not great at higher speeds, people have had mixed results with various after market screens too...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Go for it Barry, you won't want for more! I started in my early thirties... you'll be fine.

The fairing with stock screen does something, it's not great at higher speeds, people have had mixed results with various after market screens too...
I love the stock setup. I bought a cheap double bubble version of the stock screen on ebay, for looks, but it's really not much different than stock, and I'm perfectly happy. Get a good helmet and thank yourself for not having to deal with buffeting. ;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Take the plunge, Barry. I bought my '18 S1000F without a test ride, and in fact without having ridden anything at all for over 30 years (my last bike was a Norton 850 Commando). On my first ride with the new bike I felt right at home. Very planted feeling, no surprises at all other than a somewhat more sensitive throttle than I was used to before (a Throttle Tamer fixed that just fine). I now have 1600 miles on the bike, and it's really starting to feel like we're old friends. It's a different bike than the Norton but I really do love it. A lot more power is available than what the Norton had, but nothing at all to be afraid of...just don't wick it wide open before you're familiar with the bike and you'll be fine. I'm even starting to wish it had a bit more low- and mid-range pull. I'm laughing at myself when I say that because I'll be 65 years old tomorrow...an old man who wants more punch than the stock bike can deliver, lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I changed from an unrestricted 599cc Fazer and the transition has been seemless and above all, fun. True, you have to take care for the first few kilometers as the power is there, but once you get acquainted with the machine it is amazing. It has power reserves everywhere, confidence-inspiring.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a 200+HP B-King and it was like a kitten when ridden like you was on your way to church.
But it could easily pop wheelies in 100mph++ if Iwanted to.
So:
It is all in your wrist.
:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
TEST RIDE!
I went from a Triumph Street Triple 675 to the GSXS1000. The Gixxis doesn't get really wild until you get up to 8K. Below 6K it jumps, but, it's very controllable. Both bikes are great and have their benefits. I can wring the neck on the Street Triple, but, I can't thrash the Gixxis the same way, 1st gear red lines at 86mph! and it get's there really fast. That being said, riding the Gixxis at reasonable street speeds can be done with no drama unless I feel like it. Ummm... how did I start this response? Oh yea...
TEST RIDE.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i also had one of those sv650"s, got it to get to work on, then started to think about some more power, as my trail bike had more accelleration than it had, i built it a pipe, then started thinking of more.., then realised id better just get a better /bigger bike, aka a 2016 gsx-s1000, it was great for about one month, until i got used to it, and those old memories of powerstanding over hills and trying to jump over little valleys on my old gsxr1100, that was a monster torque bike after id sunk over $10k into the mtr in parts...
so now ive told myself to just give this bike a few tweaks with only suzuki stock parts, thereby hopefully limiting myself to only a couple of thousand $$ and keeping some sense of rideability

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Hi Barry and Welcome,
You'll be ok if you use a lot of good old commonsense.
I've owned a few SV650 of old and I was a Gladius full power Owner before the GSX-S1K arrived into my garage.
The low power and hi power SV are basically the same output below 5000 RPM (that's a guestimate), based on the long demo ride I had on the A2 (LAMS in Au) SV650 when the current one popped up.

I demo rode a 2018 GSXS a week back, and below 3000 it is probably an equivalent of the A2 SV being pushed along.
On the GSXS, with it's 4 cyl in line motor, will ramp up over 4500 quite fast, more so than the SV especially in the lower gears.

But you are old enough to know that it all can go wrong in a flash, and GSXS will help you stay safer having good brakes and traction control than the SV, but if you get overconfident it will bite hard very quickly.
Treat it like your running in a new motor, the bike just been bought, like it has slippery tyres, and you will survive and love the GSXS1000. I've ridden far more scary bikes than our GSXS, it is not one of them.

Your Insurer could very well hit you with a big premium so you should explore this aspect before laying down a deposit.
My Insurer put's them in the highest risk group - the GSXR's, R1, the race replica's that have a high claim rate from crashes.

Rob.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can answer this question for yourself:
-Have you almost killed yourself on the SV650 from abusing the power? Then don't get a GSX-S.
-Do you find yourself on full power frequently, while feeling completely in control? Get that GSX-S right away.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
we all had are moments of being lucky...on 35 hp bikes or 150 hp..and we learned...so if the sv650 rider almost killed himself like we all did at one time ,,he became a better rider just knowing the danger,,,,,its the guy who never had a moment id worry about

1 - 17 of 17 Posts