GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for almost 2 years. I took the MSF class and then picked up an FZ07. Earlier this week somebody bought my bike on a whim. I'm out shopping. The S1000 sounds good but all of the talk about the throttle being jerky has me spooked. I can't afford to flip bikes every 2 years. This one was a fluke because I had a cash buyer at $100 over blue book.

1) Is the throttle really that bad?
2) I am about 230 in gear. Am I going to be wanting a suspension upgrade right out the gate like the 07?

Short list of bikes besides the S1000:
Z1000
FZ09
XSR900

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
For the money the best naked bike out there. I had the "throttle problem" but it cured itself at about 600 miles. When I was deciding which bike to buy it was between a Monster 1200, a left over 2015 Ducati Street fighter and the S1000. The street fighter was hard on the crotch area, the Monster just didn't have the look I preferred in a Modern naked bike. a true classic but expensive. The GSXS 1000 is street fast and comfortable.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My previous bike was rated at 98 hp. When braking in my GSXS, it felt faster about everywhere, especially passing and it got better mileage. So I guess just because the bike has +140 hp or whatever doesn't mean a person has to use it all on every ride. So it would get my vote for your second bike over those listed, especially if range comes into play (4.5 gal tank). When the low gas light comes on, I consistently get around 160 miles and take about 3.3 to 3.5 gal (US) and that's with minor hooliganizing in there :). And I have the f model and do advocate an ABS model, even though been riding +50 years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with all, gsxs all the way it is a great bike the throttle is not that bad it's a bit jerky at low rpm but I have ridden worse .i had a 1100 ducati monster it was shocking at low speed I have done 1000 klm and it is getting better and better it's a fun thing to ride

·
Registered
285 Posts
find a dealer with a demo bike and ride it. Then you will know . PS i bet you buy one if you ride one. Stock rear is basic , it can be firmed up on the spring for a big boy, most jap bikes are set up for light riders.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also had concerns about the throttle but its been smooth as butter!

I suggest you go test ride all the bikes you're considering. I test rode the gsxs1000 and knew it would be my next bike!

So to answer your questions:
1) no throttle issue at all on 2 bikes that I test rode
2) I'm at 230 as well and find the suspension just fine

I also have a Super Tenere (came from a FZ6), so this GSXS1000 is a 2nd ride, but it's so good, it'll most likely become my first ride!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Best bet is test ride. If you like it but want a bit more control then get a throttle tamer. Apart from the snachy throttle which doesn't seem to affect all models its a really easy bike to get along with. Please note that doen't mean its not fast. Far too many times I've thought "this is more like it, its all coming together, feels nice and smooth and bike is singing... wonder how fast i'm.. ok time to calm down." It really is a well balanced package. But you never know, it may not speak to you at all! You could hate it, test ride is the way to go. Good luck and enjoy the bike shopping :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cannot speak to the throttle issue because never experienced it on mine. I am about your size and suspension is fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been riding for almost 2 years. I took the MSF class and then picked up an FZ07. Earlier this week somebody bought my bike on a whim. I'm out shopping. The S1000 sounds good but all of the talk about the throttle being jerky has me spooked. I can't afford to flip bikes every 2 years. This one was a fluke because I had a cash buyer at $100 over blue book.

2) I am about 230 in gear. Am I going to be wanting a suspension upgrade right out the gate like the 07?

Z1000
FZ09
XSR900

Thanks!
Hello,

The GSXS is my 2nd bike and i'm a big lad and it's outstanding to be honest. Had the Z1000 and it blows that bike out of the water. Remember this is a naked bike so you will feel the wind on anything over 85, so long trips at high speed will be hard work, but this is why it's my 2nd bike and I use my K1600 for long tours!

If you want fun on a bike that is little, nimble and fast you cant go wrong. As for the throttle issue, it's really not that much of a problem, you get used to it quickly!

:D:D

·
Registered
147 Posts

Z1000
FZ09
XSR900

Thanks!

Don't know the XSR900 that well, but definitely a far better bike than Z1000 or FZ09, and would easily guess the same for XSR900. This is my premier bike and its a great bike. Awesome handling and very good speed. Many opinions on the jerky throttle, but at least with the jerky throttle issue, if its a problem for you, you can always solve it with a PCV, which is not excessively expensive. So you not forced to live with it. That was the rational that I used when I bought the bike, and have no regrets. Rear shock not the greatest (on bumpy roads), but again can be solved with a replacement. But given the initial price of bike, these 2 major short-comings can be fixed and the bike is still in a good price range with the added cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't know the XSR900 that well, but definitely a far better bike than Z1000 or FZ09, and would easily guess the same for XSR900. This is my premier bike and its a great bike. Awesome handling and very good speed. Many opinions on the jerky throttle, but at least with the jerky throttle issue, if its a problem for you, you can always solve it with a PCV, which is not excessively expensive. So you not forced to live with it. That was the rational that I used when I bought the bike, and have no regrets. Rear shock not the greatest (on bumpy roads), but again can be solved with a replacement. But given the initial price of bike, these 2 major short-comings can be fixed and the bike is still in a good price range with the added cost.

The XSR and the FZ09 have the same engine, Yamaha have also used the 900 triple in the faired Tracer. I have a Tracer in my shed (wife's bike) and have ridden it around a 1000km, for me it is an outstanding bike with a great engine, that said as soon as I rode my GSXS 1000F I new it was the RIGHT bike for ME. I haven't ridden a Z1000 so I couldn't comment on that one but the best advice I could give is test ride as many bikes as you can until you find the right bike for you. The reasons I have for choosing the Suzuki are many, I do enjoy getting on the edge on twisty roads and I also do 6-8 hour days when I go touring so I had to find the compromise that fitted my needs. I know the XSR and the 09 have relatively small fuel tanks so not much range in them, the tracer has a larger tank so the Mrs gets and extra 100km before we have to refuel. I am about the same weight as you I think (105kg) and I am 6'1'' tall and have no problems with my GSXS. Good luck with your search, it is a lot of fun trying out all the bikes out there on offer, you might even find a surprise that you weren't expecting to find.:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
A friend of mine has the XSR900. He went with me to the Suzuki demo day and demoed the GSXS and said it pulled much harder than his bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts