GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to change a few things on the bike but i am not sure with all the options out there as to what is good or bad, and what is even useful.

1. I was looking at the Suzuki accessories list and it is showing a Sport Windscreen (screenshot attached). I want to maintain the naked look as best i can so i was wondering if this small shield will even make a difference at all. Does anyone have it and are able to let me know if this makes enough of a difference to drop $160 on. If not are there any other options that would work for this bike without taking away from the naked appearance.

2. I am finding the bike to just be too quiet so i am looking for a different exhaust. Now from what i have read some people are stating that a slip on will not make much of a difference at all to noise, is this so? The local dealer where i bought has two options available for me, one being the Akropvic and the other is the Yohimura.
Would i be ok to change to one of these, or other options available that you can suggest, to increase the noise a bit? I want the bike to make enough noise to be noticed, but not rudely loud at the same time.

I have already gone ahead and added a fender eliminator, and at the end of this week i have a full frame slider kit arriving from T-Rex so i am excited to get those installed.

I did cheap out and also got a set of brake and clutch levers from amazon, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B077HG959S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hoping these work out but also if anyone has advice on a shorty set of brake and clutch levers please let me know as i have not gotten these yet and am totally open to changing them for something better.

If anyone else has any advice on mods that i can do, keeping in mind that i dont want to break my warranty, i would certainly appreciate the advice. Hoping to have everything done before spring hits so ill be ready to be on the road as soon as possible.
Look forward to hearing from all of you, and thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Slip on for more sound is pretty much wasted money, doesn’t help much. Decat is the way to go. I would definitely stay clear of the cheap levers, too many have had problems. I’m talking locking brake up problems. Seems to be hit or miss with them, I’m not taking a chance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slip on for more sound is pretty much wasted money, doesn’t help much. Decat is the way to go. I would definitely stay clear of the cheap levers, too many have had problems. I’m talking locking brake up problems. Seems to be hit or miss with them, I’m not taking a chance.

Thanks for the response. Locking up brakes is a for sure sign for me to return these right away before even attempting to install them. What would be some worth looking into that are rated well enough to not have issues like that?

And excuse me for not knowing, but what do you mean by 'Decat' is the way to go?

·
Registered
185 Posts
He means that due to EU fascist emission legislation, which should only apply to cars, it applies also to bikes and requires pounds of extra metal in the exhaust setup to catalyse emissions; ie., cat. So eliminating the cat is removing the catalytic converter from under your bike and replacing it with an exhaust that is lighter and conduct the exhaust gas from your motor straight out the back instead of through a labyrinth of metal. I have fitted the Black Widow system from the UK, used the standard muffler and the exhaust note is superb

·
Registered
405 Posts
There is a thread on here about dominator decat, use the search to find it. It will explain everything. ASV and CRG are two that I have experience with, others may chime in on their recommendation. I have the decat with stock slip on and I get compliments all the time. Its louder around idle but still quiet enough cruising around.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Depending on your relationship with your dealer, a decat will void your warranty.
Try a small cone shaped slip on such as the m4.
Gave a great tone, significantly louder than stock. Due to the design it made it much louder than removing the can altogether. Pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
2. I am finding the bike to just be too quiet so i am looking for a different exhaust. Now from what i have read some people are stating that a slip on will not make much of a difference at all to noise, is this so? The local dealer where i bought has two options available for me, one being the Akropvic and the other is the Yohimura.
Would i be ok to change to one of these, or other options available that you can suggest, to increase the noise a bit? I want the bike to make enough noise to be noticed, but not rudely loud at the same time.
I have a Mivv Double Gun Ti slip-on and it is definitely louder than stock, but not by an order of magnitude like some of the full systems.
In fact, it came with removable db killers that I originally had out and I've put them in and prefer it that way. It is still louder than stock and improved tone to my ear, but I'm not a "louder is better" guy.
It can be heard in post #2 of the fly-by thread. That's without db killer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the flyscreen and it's purely aesthetic and does absolutely nothing for wind protection. I also have an MRA touring windscreen which does an excellent job of blocking the wind but it's not going to win any beauty contests. If anything, the looks are a theft deterrent.

If you don't want to uglify the bike but still want to reduce the wind blast and don't mind an aggressive supermoto riding position, I'll suggest installing a Renthal Fatbar Street Low handlebar. The extra bit of lean cuts right into the wind. YMMV but I find it more comfortable as it also eliminated the seat discomfort (and it has a more GSXR feel in the corners!).

As for the exhaust, I can only speak for the full M4 system which is obnoxiously loud. I ended up installing a stage 2 baffle which got rid of the droning exhaust sound at freeway speeds.

Other useful mods are upgrading the rear shock as the original is brutal on rough roads. Also, an ECU flash will improve your fueling, eliminate the jerky on/off throttle, and disable error codes that pop up when you start removing exhaust related bits.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, an ECU flash will improve your fueling, eliminate the jerky on/off throttle, and disable error codes that pop up when you start removing exhaust related bits.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Can this ECU flash be done without voiding warranty, if it makes that much of a difference i would like to do that even before thinking about exhaust changes?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Literally anything you do or don't do can void a warranty claim depending on how ****ty your dealer/manufacturer wants to be. Of course they have to make the claim that what you did, or didn't do, caused the problem. But, it's a Suzuki, it's not going to have a catastrophic failure so long as you keep oil in it.
If your o2 sensor or catalyst dies and they somehow dig into your ecu and learn it's flashed, sure maybe they'll deny your claim. Not likely though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Exhaust: cat delete or full system, or don’t bother. You’ll get no change in sound. You’ll need to sort the fuel mapping out if you do a cat delete, it won’t be right anymore.
Sport screen: I have this, but not much difference. I found mine new on eBay for $49 two years ago. It listed for $149 then. Search around for better price. You have to drill some holes, there are X’s marking the spots on that black triangle shaped piece in front of instrument display.
Brakes: brake lines made the biggest difference to me, took out all of the sponginess of the stock setup. I do not have ABS, and this was the single best brake mod. Pads make it even better, but the lines were what made me the happiest. I did them before brake pads. I actually prefer stock levers, as I have had too many bad experiences with aftermarket levers in the past, even the expensive name brand levers. It’s been too hit or miss for me to waste time or money on them anymore. I keep them lubed at the pivot, and they work forever (ok a very long time) unless you crash. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Exhaust: cat delete or full system, or don’t bother. You’ll get no change in sound.
Not quite true. You might not get a huge difference in sound, but I have posted my fly-by's. It is significantly louder than stock.
It depends on how much louder you want it to be.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not quite true. You might not get a huge difference in sound, but I have posted my fly-by's. It is significantly louder than stock.
It depends on how much louder you want it to be.
On my 2016, I could take the slip on off, and could tell no difference. I originally ordered a yoshimura slip on before taking delivery, and when installed, no difference. Header and slip on, big difference! I’m only concerned with what I hear when I’m on the bike. I’m confident 99% of people don’t care a stitch about my exhaust sound. So I speak from that point of view.

·
Registered
524 Posts
GSX-S1000 mods to consider

I am looking to change a few things on the bike but i am not sure with all the options out there as to what is good or bad, and what is even useful.
1. I was looking at the Suzuki accessories list and it is showing a Sport Windscreen (screenshot attached). I want to maintain the naked look as best i can so i was wondering if this small shield will even make a difference at all. Does anyone have it and are able to let me know if this makes enough of a difference to drop $160 on. If not are there any other options that would work for this bike without taking away from the naked appearance.
The "Sport Windscreen" (also called a 'Lens Meter Screen') looks the business BUT it offers NO wind protection at all. But it really does seem like the naked bike should have come with it from Suzuki, it looks that good on there. If you want/need some wind protection, you'll have to go another route though. Perhaps something like this PUIG screen would work better: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/9016998820
(See attached)

2. I am finding the bike to just be too quiet so i am looking for a different exhaust. Now from what i have read some people are stating that a slip on will not make much of a difference at all to noise, is this so? The local dealer where i bought has two options available for me, one being the Akropvic and the other is the Yohimura. Would i be ok to change to one of these, or other options available that you can suggest, to increase the noise a bit? I want the bike to make enough noise to be noticed, but not rudely loud at the same time.
Cheap route to start? Get a long drill bit about 1/4" in diameter and about 10" to 12" long from your hardware store. Go straight into the exhaust outlet with your drill bit and start drilling. I'd drill four different holes then go test ride. Loud enough yet? Once you find the 'loudness' you want, call it good. I'm always surprised when people say THIS particular bike is too quiet. You've ridden it, right? This is the LOUDEST Japanese sportbike I've ever ridden with a stock exhaust. I don't know how they got away with it, to be honest. But plenty loud for most. If not for you, try the drilling trick first. Could save you a bundle of money and get the sound you want without a lot of hassle. Hey, if it doesn't work, you've lost nothing. You were going to put an exhaust on there anyway, right?

I did cheap out and also got a set of brake and clutch levers from amazon, https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B077HG959S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hoping these work out but also if anyone has advice on a shorty set of brake and clutch levers please let me know as i have not gotten these yet and am totally open to changing them for something better.
Oddly enough, as others have said, putting non-OEM levers on this bike has proved to be problematic. People have developed poor running issues (or non-running issues!) and that seems odd for just replacing levers. But the bike is like most modern machines and has electronic sensors all over it. By all means, go ahead and try out the lever you bought and if all seems well, then you lucked out and life is good. But if the bike acts or runs weird in any way (or suddenly won't start anymore) then...it's the levers, as strange as that may seem. Who knew?!

If anyone else has any advice on mods that i can do, keeping in mind that i dont want to break my warranty, i would certainly appreciate the advice. Hoping to have everything done before spring hits so ill be ready to be on the road as soon as possible. Look forward to hearing from all of you, and thank you in advance.
As others have said, the weakest link on this motorcycle is the rear shock. It is brutal on bumpy roads. It has too much high-speed compression dampening and the shock has no adjustment for it. Only fix is a new shock. Thankfully you can get a shock for about $490 from Wilbers that will fix it. If you want fancier/more adjustment, K-Tech and Wilbers offer nicer models for more money...but you don't NEED them. The 'cheap' model from Wilbers will make it so much better. (See attached)

Another thought is getting the ECU flashed to smooth out the power delivery and release a few more ponies. (Dano's Performance in Hemet, CA, USA, can do it for $180. See attached) But if your bike is running fine and you are happy with it, save the money and leave it alone. I mean, the bike puts out 145 rwhp and 78 ft/lbs of torque in stock trim. That should be plenty for a bike that weighs 557 lbs (wet.)

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oddly enough, as others have said, putting non-OEM levers on this bike has proved to be problematic. People have developed poor running issues (or non-running issues!) and that seems odd for just replacing levers. But the bike is like most modern machines and has electronic sensors all over it. By all means, go ahead and try out the lever you bought and if all seems well, then you lucked out and life is good. But if the bike acts or runs weird in any way (or suddenly won't start anymore) then...it's the levers, as strange as that may seem. Who knew?!
The **** that people come up with LOL. There is no magic involved in this bike's electronics. Every sensor is easy to see, easy to track and easy to understand. If someone things changing their levers has caused poor running, that person perhaps should step away from doing work on their own bike.

As far as I can think off the top of my head, the ONLY was a lever could cause bad running is if:

1. The lever is inadvertently triggering the clutch switch, AND
2. The ECU uses a different idle map when the clutch is pulled (this seems unlikely but not unheard of).

And if a user can't figure out that this is what's happening, again, they should consider letting other people work on their bike instead.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Whew! Thank GOD you Mr. WheatMillington were here to tell us how levers can't possibly cause problems. Except...they have and they do. For what it is worth, when I first heard about this (levers causing issues) I thought it was ridiculous, too. I never had a 'lever issue' with any of my previous bikes. But after reading about folks here chasing down mysterious issues for months on their bikes, only to go back to their OEM levers and....POOF! problem solved, there is apparently something happening worth warning others about. And that's all that is happening here - a word of warning to a fellow Gixxus rider that if the bike acts funky after a lever swap...don't be like WheatMillington and assume it CAN'T possibly be the new levers. Because...it can be.
Peace out brother. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've had Chinese levers and ASV levers, they don't cause problems. Bumps don't cause the throttle to move. EU fascists didn't invent catalytic converters.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Whew! Thank GOD you Mr. WheatMillington were here to tell us how levers can't possibly cause problems. Except...they have and they do. For what it is worth, when I first heard about this (levers causing issues) I thought it was ridiculous, too. I never had a 'lever issue' with any of my previous bikes. But after reading about folks here chasing down mysterious issues for months on their bikes, only to go back to their OEM levers and....POOF! problem solved, there is apparently something happening worth warning others about. And that's all that is happening here - a word of warning to a fellow Gixxus rider that if the bike acts funky after a lever swap...don't be like WheatMillington and assume it CAN'T possibly be the new levers. Because...it can be.
Peace out brother. :)
OK I must be wrong, there must be magic involved. Or at least something metaphysical, seeing as nothing in the physical world could possibly cause those issues.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts