GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying that I am old (archaic) and have been riding bikes since my teens so I have ridden and enjoyed many bikes and I do put a lot of miles on my bikes since I use them as daily drivers throughout the year except for the worst of winter time and lots of pleasure rides.

I currently own a Victory Cross Country that I bought new 2 years ago so I have the big comfy jamming cruiser but still crave a nice sporty ride. I have been talking to a buddy about selling me his mint 05 RC51 (one of my bucket list bikes) this spring but I went in to my local dealer to have a new tire put on my Vic. Needless to say I went browsing around while I waited...(worst mistake possible-kid in a toy store way, if it has a motor and is sexy/fun I want one.)

I could see this gorgeous bike sitting there, so what is this? Never seen one of them before....GSX-S1000...**** that is badass!! Wait..they have 2 of them...A used 2016 and a new 2018. I've since read reviews and as much info as possible and then another thing I like to do when I'm looking is join a forum for the vehicle so here I am to get more info.

Seems that the general consensus is that it is a great bike.... any issues to pay attention to? Any pointers when buying one? What should I expect out of it, a very long life?
Anyways I've been back to the dealer again yesterday for something else but gravitate right back over to them while I wait. I've stopped just short of signing the paperwork and riding off.

Decisions decisions........ buy the RC or the S1000..... Now ideally I won't mind to own both but can't buy both this year. Oh and the Vic XC stays too, that will never go.

I look forward to learning much from you guys!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Gsx-s1000 is a great bike, it is a current production bike though that will be available new or near new for a while. A mint rc51 is more rare. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Let me start by saying that I am old (archaic) and have been riding bikes since my teens so I have ridden and enjoyed many bikes and I do put a lot of miles on my bikes since I use them as daily drivers throughout the year except for the worst of winter time and lots of pleasure rides.

I currently own a Victory Cross Country that I bought new 2 years ago so I have the big comfy jamming cruiser but still crave a nice sporty ride. I have been talking to a buddy about selling me his mint 05 RC51 (one of my bucket list bikes) this spring but I went in to my local dealer to have a new tire put on my Vic. Needless to say I went browsing around while I waited...(worst mistake possible-kid in a toy store way, if it has a motor and is sexy/fun I want one.)

I could see this gorgeous bike sitting there, so what is this? Never seen one of them before....GSX-S1000...**** that is badass!! Wait..they have 2 of them...A used 2016 and a new 2018. I've since read reviews and as much info as possible and then another thing I like to do when I'm looking is join a forum for the vehicle so here I am to get more info.

Seems that the general consensus is that it is a great bike.... any issues to pay attention to? Any pointers when buying one? What should I expect out of it, a very long life?
Anyways I've been back to the dealer again yesterday for something else but gravitate right back over to them while I wait. I've stopped just short of signing the paperwork and riding off.

Decisions decisions........ buy the RC or the S1000..... Now ideally I won't mind to own both but can't buy both this year. Oh and the Vic XC stays too, that will never go.

I look forward to learning much from you guys!!!
I went from an SV1000s to the GSXS1000F. The SV is pretty much Suzuki's RC51. They are almost Identical in ride and performance, also in NOT being comfortable for us old guys!!! I loved the SV but after an hour or so the neck back and wrists were feeling it. I have the 1000F and like you, I ride alot. I've already installed a touring screen and the added wind protection is appreciated. So far I have absolutely nothing to fault with this bike and would recommend it to anyone. I'd get the 18 over the 16 as they have better fueling and throttle response and a few more Clydesdales!!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
SV1000s pales compared to an RC51. SV1000 was a detuned TLR and even the TLR had to give way to the RC51, and I say that having loved my TLR dearly.

Sir, I do NOT envy you your decisions. An RC51 has also been on my bucket list as well, however no more clipon bikes for me, for the road anyway. If you can find a way to swing it, I'd get the RC now, and then get the GSX later. A new or clean GSX will be easier to find than an RC51 for sure, then you can have both.

As for filling the sporty side next to something more suited to touring, I totally get that, and it really is a great combo to have in the garage to choose from. That would be a good garage to have no matter what kind of riding you want to do, unless you want to get dirty, then you need to add another bike to the garage. It gets expensive. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
SV1000s pales compared to an RC51. SV1000 was a detuned TLR and even the TLR had to give way to the RC51, and I say that having loved my TLR dearly.

Sir, I do NOT envy you your decisions. An RC51 has also been on my bucket list as well, however no more clipon bikes for me, for the road anyway. If you can find a way to swing it, I'd get the RC now, and then get the GSX later. A new or clean GSX will be easier to find than an RC51 for sure, then you can have both.

As for filling the sporty side next to something more suited to touring, I totally get that, and it really is a great combo to have in the garage to choose from. That would be a good garage to have no matter what kind of riding you want to do, unless you want to get dirty, then you need to add another bike to the garage. It gets expensive. :D

Gixxer what are you comparing to say the SV pales compared to the RC. They are with in the same 10th of a second thru the 1/4, there is only a 2mph difference in 1/4 mi mph, probably due to the RC having 10more hp than the original non fuel injected SV and the weight is with in a few pounds of each other. The only comparison I've seen are in early tests by MCN in their yearly performance index issue. I know everyone loved the Honda and the only one I ever rode I really liked and it "felt" alot quicker that the SV, but I feel it was even more sporty in riding position and harder to stay on for any length of time more than an hour or so. I agree with the guy that said the SV1000 was the best bike nobody bought!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GSX or RC, not really comparable, bit like main course or pudding, I prefer cheese to pudding
Not comparing.... obviously different worlds. Just want both so I have to decide which to get this year. Both strike a cord for me in different ways. I'd ride the GSX more because it would obviously be much more comfortable but the RC is beautiful and the sound of that V-twin with D&D exhaust... oh yea :)

I was discussing with a coworker and expressed the same sentiment that I should get the RC first because the GSX will be readily available for years in the future but what I should do and what I wind up doing are different at times haha.

I have also through much research over the years have come to understand that while still basically the same platform the RC does outperform the SV in every area. I may be wrong but that's what I've read.

I have not seen a newer bike that I thought WOW about when I saw it until I saw the GSX. Thus the WOW is very tempting.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Welcome Aboard the Good Ship GSX-S Forum,
Seems like so many years ago I rode a RC51 of the first year release series. As I remember, there was an updated version a year later to fix the niggles in the first. Honda is better than Suzuki in this. Fueling any one???
I would think that you have had a few rides on different days of the RC51 right ?

The ride position of a 2005 year sportsbike is more extreme than offered today, and my history at 66 suggests that you too will find the GSX-S1000 a more sustaining ownership experience.
When a bike says WOW to you, it's 90% there for you.
I think the Honda has a few miles up by now, so it's not a tight bike anymore and do you know mechanically how healthy it is and what the maintenance service costs will be for your expected ownership?
The price of a radiator for example, if you still can get it, will be a lot more than you think they (Honda) could ask, but do.....

Rob.
Edit, the RC51 was called the VTR1000 SP, and SP2 in my Country and Overseas.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have the F version of the GSX-S. I absolutely love it and have had zero issues. It sill just amazes me every time I get on and am able really twist the throttle. I had never ridden an inline 4 before this bike (but I did own a V4). The GSX-S just sounds great and has more power than I'll ever need. I've never ridden an RC51, but it's always been one of those bikes on my list of bikes I'd like to own, along with the SuperHawk. I really like the versatility of a "sport" class bike with ergonomics that make it a joy to ride for long hours in the saddle. I know it's a totally different bike, but I think you will love it if you try it.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Mint RC-51? If the price is right I would grab it. That's not something you can find every day. You can always find a deal on a GSX S1000 down the road.

Unless, you would not really ride the RC. If you want to buy a bike to ride great for comfort, GSXS is the answer.

OR, how bout grab the RC and re sell? Then buy a GSXS!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have an RC and a GSX s
Life is good
I love them both but for completely different reasons. The RC is very focused and handles like a dream on the open road. The more you put into it the more you get back. The torque makes for lazy riding and it’s easy to not realise the speed it creates. On the other hand, around town it’s a bit of an awkward pig. Poor low down fuelling, tall first gear, cramped riding position, and limited steering lock. Very hard work.
That said, get it on the open road and It’s probably one of the best bikes I ever had.
Whilst the Suzi can do town or country it’s a lot more practical and it has enough handling and power to keep up with the RC for about 95% of its limit. It’s my go to bike at the moment. But it is a bit bland and characterless in comparison

Oh, and I would compare the SV to be more like the Honda Firestorm (hawk) than the RC.
Both of them were known as a poor mans RC back in the day. I should know. I had one of them too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
I too am an old goat but IMO I'd forget the RC51 and get the GSX S1000, more comfort, more power, more modern, less likely to be costly in the long term. It is a great all round bike, an RC51 it isn't and never will be but the choice has to be what is most important to you. Having owned one, I think the RC51 was a great iconic bike 14-15 years ago but it's also old school now and it wasn't that good in the grand scheme of things. If you want one because??? then get one but I assure you you won't be buying better than a GSX S1000. Though it in itself isn't perfect it is easily and fairly cheaply turned into a fantastic bike.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Gixxer what are you comparing to say the SV pales compared to the RC. They are with in the same 10th of a second thru the 1/4, there is only a 2mph difference in 1/4 mi mph, probably due to the RC having 10more hp than the original non fuel injected SV and the weight is with in a few pounds of each other. The only comparison I've seen are in early tests by MCN in their yearly performance index issue. I know everyone loved the Honda and the only one I ever rode I really liked and it "felt" alot quicker that the SV, but I feel it was even more sporty in riding position and harder to stay on for any length of time more than an hour or so. I agree with the guy that said the SV1000 was the best bike nobody bought!!!!!
That 10hp means a lot more when it's 108 vs 118 as opposed to 140 vs 150. Looking up figures, it seems that the SV was able to shed a lot of weight vs the TL and the RC. While the SV was given bargain basement parts for brakes and suspension which was necessary to meet the fantastic price it came out with, the rear shock was a huge improvement over the TL's experimental trash rotary damper. I ended up replacing my TLR's with a conventional shock and that helped a lot, but the RC had better components from the factory than either bike. Thanks to rule changes and Suzuki not wanting to run two types of bikes, the V-Twin's got dumped and the SV was the highly anticipated replacement to the TL series, but fell short thanks to the neutering Suzuki gave it.

As for the SV1000 being the best bike nobody bought, I agree whole heartedly. Sporting V-Twins make really great street motor, lots of torque and engine braking, you can hit the back roads and never think about shifting, just twist and go. Gobs of torque everywhere make it fun and a great stoplight to stoplight bike. I think if Suzuki had delivered it with a little bit better parts, and had provided TL like power, if not even a little bump up, it would have sold well. The motor needed zero of the usual claimed "Retuned for street use" treatment because that motor was perfect as it came. Upright seating, less weight and a better rear shock would have made for a perfect SV and might have sold better.

All that said, much as I love the sporting V-Twin, I gotta say that this GSX-S1000 is a **** fine street machine. It does all I ask of it and I'm never left feeling like I needed more power for a particular situation. It's a successor to the SV in being a Suzuki naked street bike with upright riding position, and I think it fits the job well. If he can lose the sentimental lust for the RC, then he'll be VERY happy with the GSX-S I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha.... You rotten guys that have both!! I would love that and would love to be able to do that also in the next couple years.
I do know the condition and maintenance record of the RC as he is the original owner has less than 12k miles and extremely well cared for and never raced..... That said he is in no rush to sell her and has said that I'm about the only one he'd consider selling it to. '05 does make it the SP2 which had quite a few improvements over the SP1 and black/red which was only offered in 05-06.
I have owned 2 Superhawks and enjoyed the **** out of them. Fun bikes.

I have no doubt the GSX would be much more comfortable than the RC and would be ridden quite a bit more also so that leads to the tough decision at hand. The RC was going to happen this spring without a doubt until I walked into the dealership and saw the GSXs, Damnit man.. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts