GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently completed first GSX-S1000F valve check just shy of 14500 maintenance interval. All clearances were around the middle of the acceptable range and no shims needed replacing.

After all the fairings, gas tank and air box came off, I found that the throttle body has to come off to make enough room for the valve cover to slide back and out of the frame. Additionally, the wiring harness runs above the forward right corner of the valve cover and has to be moved aside prior to lifting the valve cover.

I took a look at a GSX-R1000 K5 manual for the procedure. Most of the work involved figuring out how to remove all the bodywork to get to the actual engine.

Bike has been running well and without leaks for about 130 miles since.

Additionally, I changed the plugs out for NGK Laser Iridiums and noticed some improvement in cold engine performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
thanks for answering the valve adjustment question,,thats why i didnt do mine...i believe from members here who track there bikes with many miles on them...with 50 thousand track miles valves valves where fine..........

·
Registered
81 Posts
Having recently owned a Triumph, MV Agusta and Husqvarna (KTM), it's really nice that technical and maintenance problems don't dominate this forum. Suzuki reliability is awesome.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I called a local shop to get a price quote for the valve check/adjustment, and to my surprise the service advisor told me that it's not necessary as long as the bike runs and sounds good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts