GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi from Czech Republic!

Wanted to ask your ideas about the GSX-1000F.

I am riding Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F for two years and considering new options for next year.

I like the concept of "real" sport touring unlike "new" sport tourings such as Versys, Tracer, etc. So GSX-S1000F is a perfect ST bike for my taste.

I am commuting 20 kms a day for 8 months a year with weekend rides and occasional long trips.

What I need from my next bike are;

• Better handling and braking compared to my current bike.
  • Front fairing as I experienced the benefits on a long journey.
  • Longer gearing as I rev around 8000 on 140 kmh.
-Should be more powerful than my bike. (Should be over 100hp but not into 160+ HP monsters)

Bikes which fit my budget were;

-Yamaha MT-09 SP (Great engine but "budget" mentality scares me. Apart from that, sitting position is almost 90 degrees, which I am not used to)
-Triumph Street Triple R (Great engine and components but low weight and reliability are question marks as I am used to Japanese reliability)

And recently I saw the brand new 2019 GSX-1000F prices are right in between those two!

So my questions about the gixxus are;

-Is the snatchy throttle problem still existing with 2019/2020 models? I heard about booster plug and wondering if I will have the smooth throttle as I have with my Diversion now?

-How is the handling on the corners with the correct setup and the good road tires such as Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3, Bridgestone S22, ContiSportAttack 4 etc.?

-For those who switched to the gixxus from a sub 100 HP bike, did you have a trouble with the power? 150hp is almost double of what I am riding now and I never rode such a powerful bike. I was overwhelmed a bit when I got the Yamaha but weak low revs and staying under 7000 rpm in the beginning helped me building confidence.

I do not like to change bikes quite often so I want to keep my next bike 4-5 years.

Considering all those info, would you recommend GSX-S1000F?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am commuting 20 kms a day for 8 months a year with weekend rides and occasional long trips.
I commute about 35 km a day and I ride a Honda CB500F, the GSXS1000 is over killed for me for communiting every day. I ride it for long trips. Also, this is a 1000cc bike about double the power of your bike.

-Yamaha MT-09 SP (Great engine but "budget" mentality scares me. Apart from that, sitting position is almost 90 degrees, which I am not used to)
-Triumph Street Triple R (Great engine and components but low weight and reliability are question marks as I am used to Japanese reliability)
The GSXS1000 is more powerful than these two bikes.

And recently I saw the brand new 2019 GSX-1000F prices are right in between those two!
It is a great bike for the money. The best 1000cc class bike for about $10K.

-Is the snatchy throttle problem still existing with 2019/2020 models? I heard about booster plug and wondering if I will have the smooth throttle as I have with my Diversion now?
Yes, still the throttle is snatchy at low RPM, low speed, not a big problem, it's just matter of getting used to the bike but can easily be fixed by flashing the ECU. Also the suspension is very hard by default but can be fixed too.

-How is the handling on the corners with the correct setup and the good road tires such as Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3, Bridgestone S22, ContiSportAttack 4 etc.?
I love it.

-For those who switched to the gixxus from a sub 100 HP bike, did you have a trouble with the power? 150hp is almost double of what I am riding now and I never rode such a powerful bike. I was overwhelmed a bit when I got the Yamaha but weak low revs and staying under 7000 rpm in the beginning helped me building confidence.
I felt that is way too much power for street ridding but for fwy speeds, I felt the power is fantastic. This bike revs up to 11.5K or so, I have never gone more than 7K RPM. I feel like ridding on the back of the devil:LOL:

I do not like to change bikes quite often so I want to keep my next bike 4-5 years.
I'm keeping mine for ever. I love this bike. (Read what I'm doing to my GSXS1000 on "My Decat Project" here on the Exhaust & Headers Forum).

Thanks in advance!
Definitely I recommend this bike 100% for what is intended to do. It is a lot of bike, but you need to test ride it to see if it fits you well.

I don't ride it on the streets because it's too heavy, tall and hard to maneuver it in between the cars. I feel like I may drop it easily since I'm a short guy 5'5" 140 lbs I'd rather ride the CB500F, soon the Kawasaki Z650, again mostly for street ridding.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
140kph = about 6000 rpm in 6th gear.
Regarding the power it will all be down to your will power, this bike can be ridden slowly, so they tell me. ;) .
Kawasaki Z900?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went from an Aprilia RS125 straight onto a Fireblade-some may say a foolish move, but I’m 6’3” and big and felt that if I bought a 600cc I’d be upgrading pretty quickly to something that suited my size. I had that bike for 6 years and loved it, but had to get something comfier as it was crippling me. What I’m trying to say is that YOU are in charge of the bike and YOU control it, the bigger bikes can be ridden at reasonable speeds easily.
I’ve had my 1000f for 2 years now. I have a booster plug, it helps but not as much as I’d hoped if I’m honest-budget for a re-map flash if it bothers you that much, I live with it.
It’s a great bike for short runs, but I’ve toured Ireland on it too-200 mile trips in a day are easily reached.
Get one, you really won’t be disappointed-they’re great fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi from Czech Republic!

Wanted to ask your ideas about the GSX-1000F.

I am riding Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F for two years and considering new options for next year.

I like the concept of "real" sport touring unlike "new" sport tourings such as Versys, Tracer, etc. So GSX-S1000F is a perfect ST bike for my taste.

What I need from my next bike are;

• Better handling and braking compared to my current bike.
  • Front fairing as I experienced the benefits on a long journey.
  • Longer gearing as I rev around 8000 on 140 kmh.
-Should be more powerful than my bike. (Should be over 100hp but not into 160+ HP monsters)

Bikes which fit my budget were;

Thanks in advance!

Having gone from a Xj 600 F diversion to the Gsxs F i can only recommend it, all bikes have there little faults reference the throttle stories, you’ll find you’ll get used to the bike in general in no time.. i love the riding postion, the power, noise, handling etc...

If i really had to pick one thing... it would be that it looks like a moped from the front......

But that just makes it more fun when u leave them standing...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
140kph = about 6000 rpm in 6th gear.
Regarding the power it will all be down to your will power, this bike can be ridden slowly, so they tell me. ;) .
Kawasaki Z900?
I hear great things about the newest Z900 but not into fully naked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went from an Aprilia RS125 straight onto a Fireblade-some may say a foolish move, but I’m 6’3” and big and felt that if I bought a 600cc I’d be upgrading pretty quickly to something that suited my size. I had that bike for 6 years and loved it, but had to get something comfier as it was crippling me. What I’m trying to say is that YOU are in charge of the bike and YOU control it, the bigger bikes can be ridden at reasonable speeds easily.
I’ve had my 1000f for 2 years now. I have a booster plug, it helps but not as much as I’d hoped if I’m honest-budget for a re-map flash if it bothers you that much, I live with it.
It’s a great bike for short runs, but I’ve toured Ireland on it too-200 mile trips in a day are easily reached.
Get one, you really won’t be disappointed-they’re great fun!
I have also jumped from a 150cc - 12hp with 500 km experience to the 600.

Staying under 7000 rpm in the beginning helped me getting used to the bike sooner and easier but learning better cornering took longer time because of higher power and different throttle responses at higher revs.

I am confident I can control GSX-S but sometimes I have questions if I am not using the full potential of the bike. Then I remind myself is it necessary to use the full potential since I am not on a racetrack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having gone from a Xj 600 F diversion to the Gsxs F i can only recommend it, all bikes have there little faults reference the throttle stories, you’ll find you’ll get used to the bike in general in no time.. i love the riding postion, the power, noise, handling etc...

If i really had to pick one thing... it would be that it looks like a moped from the front......

But that just makes it more fun when u leave them standing...
I actually like how the GSX-S1000F looks! Especially in blue color.

And I really do not mind appearing like a moped on the mirrors of the cars :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great bang for the buck! Smoothest gearbox you'll ever shift, handles like a bike 75 lbs lighter, and pretty comfortable for commuting and rides under 250 miles. Love mine! Got a 2016 and raised a tooth on the counter shaft which makes all the difference! I had an MT 09 for 4 years and it doesn't compare to the F. Triumph is a nice ride with the new 765 motor but that's all I know. Good Luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts

I transitioned from XJ 600 Div to GSX-S1000 with a Bandit thrown in between ;) Wasn't a problem at all switching from 100HP to 140+HP. GSX is a more powerful machine in a compact form if you compare it with Div. No snatchy throttle on my 2018 and it is great on corners with std suspension and OE tyres. It will surely be better if you upgrade your suspension and tyres.

If I remember correctly, seating was more upright on XJ6 Div, which may or may not be in GSX. Do test ride though..!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
That's exactly how I use mine, and I think it is the perfect bike for that. The "throttle snatch" problem seems to vary from bike to bike even across years of manufacture.
Mines a 2016 and no snatch. The rear shock is also a weak point and the compression damping can't be dialed down enough for most people. It can be a spine tingling experience at high speed over hard bumps. :( I did replace the rear shock (K-Tech Razor R). That said.. I love mine and it is an amazing machine. All MCs have their inherent flaws. This is the best one I've owned.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi mike d,
How hard was for you to replace the rear shock and how much did you pay for it?
Any specific procedure to make it easier for me to replace it? Thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
A forum member has a youtube video on here. It's no more difficult than the decat procedure you performed.
If you don't have an Abba sky lift or similar then all it requires are ratchet straps slung over a support and i also used a front wheel chock. And of course the correct sockets/torque wrench etc
I did it as a first timer in a few hours.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Hi mike d,
How hard was for you to replace the rear shock and how much did you pay for it?
Any specific procedure to make it easier for me to replace it? Thanks.
Looks like GSXS-NH has my back there. I didn't do it myself. I don't have a garage and figured it was difficult enough that I'd just let the experts do it.
My shock was $795 from Revzilla. I paid, if I remember correctly, about 200 to have it installed and they did a complete front and rear suspension adjustment and sag adjustment for me with me on the bike. In the end, I think it was money well spent.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks like GSXS-NH has my back there. I didn't do it myself. I don't have a garage and figured it was difficult enough that I'd just let the experts do it.
My shock was $795 from Revzilla. I paid, if I remember correctly, about 200 to have it installed and they did a complete front and rear suspension adjustment and sag adjustment for me with me on the bike. In the end, I think it was money well spent.
Thanks for you info. I was doing a quick inspection of which would be the best way to remove the shock, but it seems it is kind of hard get those bolts out. I have all the tools but it takes me time because I don't have some one to help me and just do it on my spare time. It took me 3 days to do the decat project. :LOL:
Removing the full exhaust system and putting it back.

What is the extra device attached to the shock for?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It allows for on the fly compression damping adjustment. Very nice if you ever ride two up or with loads, or just want to change it based on the conditions of the road.

·
Registered
285 Posts
It allows for on the fly compression damping adjustment. Very nice if you ever ride two up or with loads, or just want to change it based on the conditions of the road.
Very interesting, thanks. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had an Fzs600 Fazer and bought a 2018 1000F because my requirements were similar: my commute is 25 miles each way on a mix of roads - town, country and 4 lanes. I wanted something physically larger, with an some what upright stance with a fairing and that was more up to date for weekend rides and occasional long trips. I didn't go for a 2018 Z1000SX on weight and looks and despite being the Suzuki camp the Z900RS Cafe hadn't come out.

I also hated the cheap rear shock (keep the Brembo brakes and Rental bars and junk that piece of rubish Suzuki and you'd get loads more postive feedback..) but instead of going for a US$1000 one I bought the cheaper basic Nitron and had a full suspension set up done when it was fitted.

I had the TPS set properly and a Katana throttle tube fitted which has mitigated the low speed response issues a bit.

The standard Dunlops are awful unless it's very warm and dry, replacing them with Metzeler Roadtech 01s transformed the handling.

In short I can't find anything for the money with similar plus points.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Still It is tons of money less than any high end 1000cc bike from Yamaha, Ducati, KTM, Triumph Street Triple 1200, etc.
These bikes start at 20K to 30K, I cannot justify this kind of money. The engine of the GSXS1000 is on pair or better than any of those expensive bikes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts