GSXS 1000 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I upgraded from my starter bike, a 2015 KTM Duke 390, to a 2016 S1000F after... one year. Like others, I felt like the 600 would just be another quick intermediate step so why not go to a relatively calm sport bike.

I was very nervous to go to liter bike with only a year under my belt. The person I bought it from lived about 2 hours away, mostly freeway. I arrived, checked it out, did a quick up-and-down ride on the local road, then handed over the cash. I could feel my heart racing as I road to the freeway entrance. The low-speed snatchy throttle was there but it didn't bother me so much.

Then I got on the freeway... holy... moly! That's where this thing rocks! Power to pass and escape suspicious situations paired with weight and dynamics to glide. The nervous heartbeat became exhilarated beats!

That was almost 2 years ago. Since then I've continued to find absolute joy in my Gixxus as my daily commuter. It's not a touring bike; my iron-less, depleted buns can last about 3 hours before I need to jump off and walk like grandpa. If you have long legs (I'm a 34" inseam) then you'll feel it in your knees.

No frills, no problems, just a solid bike that you will mostly use at a fraction of its potential most of the time except for those moments when you want-or-need it. Then it's there... and you're dang happy it's there. And then you realize you still didn't max it out because 10K RPM is roughly where it hits max-HP and also the Police Blue-Light Special in ANY gear on that bike... if it hadn't shoot you to the moon already ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Agree with you. I was very intimidated at the beginning but this bike is not for ridding in a parking lot! This bike shines in a Fwy. I got the "I was blind and now I can see" effect with this bike.
I have only hit 7K rpm in 6th gear, 120 MPH is plenty already for me, which is a very comfortable speed in a 90 ~ 100 MPH traffic, very safe and easy to maneuvering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agree with you. I was very intimidated at the beginning but this bike is not for ridding in a parking lot! This bike shines in a Fwy. I got the "I was blind and now I can see" effect with this bike.
I have only hit 7K rpm in 6th gear, 120 MPH is plenty already for me, which is a very comfortable speed in a 90 ~ 100 MPH traffic, very safe and easy to maneuvering.
Idk having ridden a CB650, MT-07, SV650, CB1300, VFR 800F. The GSX-S (2020 model anyway) has by far the smoothest fueling from the factory of them all, this thing rocks around a parking lot. The low CG and the buttery on/off transitions makes me itch to do some gymkhana anytime i am going slow =D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great bike. I went from an SV650 to the GSXS and no worries, just short shift and keep the revs down and you'll be fine.
Rear shock is pretty average and the OE tyres are a deathtrap in the cold and damp (UK weather). Throttle is snatchy but you get used to it.
BUT, it goes like a missile, handles really well on the road, sounds great, comfortable to ride, doesn't cost fortunes to run and I really like the looks, especially side on and has the slickest gearbox in the world... there's more, it's a great bike!

·
Registered
43 Posts
OE tyres are a deathtrap
I'll second this. I've been riding a while now and the GSX-S with stock tires is the ONLY time I've slipped the back end turning from a stop. Like turning left from a stop sign. And it did it twice. I was glad when I picked up a nail in the rear and had to replace them. I already had the S22 on hand. Big upgrade.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I like the concept of "real" sport touring unlike "new" sport tourings such as Versys, Tracer, etc. So GSX-S1000F is a perfect ST bike for my taste.
Perhaps you also could consider the Kawasaki Ninja 1000 SX too ? It's a bit more in price than the GSXS1000F, but comes with a lot more gear than the Suzuki to justify the extra money asked.
Coloured TFT display, 3 position adjustable windscreen without tools, up & down gear quick shifter, and provision to mount their OEM boxes, cruise control, ride by wire tech, remote rear preload hydraulic adjuster, LED lights, probably those are the main differences over the GSXS.

I have just ordered a 2020 one for myself yesterday, so I will do another 'first ride' report in around a fortnight's time for this Forum.
The GSXS1000F with ABS in Australia is currently on offer for $ AU 16,290 and the Ninja is $ AU18,600 so the GSXS is 14% cheaper, BUT unless you compare like for like, the GSXS is the budget bike.
Your Checho currency and local bike prices may lead to a different %, but the value for the buck from the Suzuki may pale for you if you are inclined to need to upgrade parts as others here have done.

-Is the snatchy throttle problem still existing with 2019/2020 models?
My history here is a 2016 Naked 1000, then a 2019 Naked 750 and currently a 2019 Naked 1000 in Blue !
The 2016 was moderately snatchy, rideable, but not a desirable bike. The 750 had none, and the 2019 1000 has less again, but it's still here.
"Snatchy" means different things to different people. Suzuki, in my opinion, made a race bike for the road with the 1000.

Say If you were on a racetrack slip streaming behind another bike, and wanted immediate power to pass that rider, the bike should instantly surge ahead. The GSXS does this.
Then before you brake into the coming corner, engine power should snap back to have engine braking assist the brake pads. So in the 2016 bike, this was how that bike's throttle worked.
Going down a winding mountain road, this could be dangerous unless you are watching out for it.

Unfortunately for the GSXS1000, Suzuki did not see fit to add a selectable power/touring/rain sort of power delivery choice for the rider to select for the ride they were currently on.
They wanted a much cheaper bike to undercut all the others, BUT has done the GSXS1000's reputation considerable continuing harm.

To refine it a bit, for the 2019 version, they made the cut off less severe, so you coast down a bit more freely. With mine, I would say there's a 50% less engine braking off throttle than my 2016 one.
The Jeckle & Hide forward urge is still the same, but on level ground it's fine, up a steep hill it's great, and under hard braking downhill into a curve, you have to be careful with the throttle hand.
There was and still is, considerable differences between bikes of the same year, which is disappointing for a quality high volume maker like Suzuki.

Rob.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts