GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't help but feel the GSX-S1000 is a direct response to what Kawasaki did to the Ninja 1000 recently. Essentially neutering the N1K into a comfy sport tourer. Ok maybe neuter is a mean term to apply, but with the ZX-10R and ZX-6R more than carrying the sporty torch for Team Green a supersporty N1K would of been superfluous at best...

The move has been successful for Kawasaki, now lets see if the Zook can enjoy the same fruit albeit from a package that includes much older components...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally think they will do very well, Suzuki is a well respected manufacturer and has a loyal fanbase, the S-1000 and 1000F models should do vey well against their competition.

I dont agree with the 'older components' comment, the engines are based on the 2005-2008 K1 engine, but i highly doubt Suzuki had 1000's of engine sitting in a warehouse for the last 6 or so years waiting to be used. The more realistic option is they built engines based on those blueprints as that engine was fantastic. An example if this method is what harley Davidson did with the V-rod, they took their V-twin race engine and modified it for street use. I have not heard anyone refer to the V-rod as a 'parts bin' or similar. All manufacturers rework and reuse their technology to some extent.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally think they will do very well, Suzuki is a well respected manufacturer and has a loyal fanbase, the S-1000 and 1000F models should do vey well against their competition.

I dont agree with the 'older components' comment, the engines are based on the 2005-2008 K1 engine, but i highly doubt Suzuki had 1000's of engine sitting in a warehouse for the last 6 or so years waiting to be used. The more realistic option is they built engines based on those blueprints as that engine was fantastic. An example if this method is what harley Davidson did with the V-rod, they took their V-twin race engine and modified it for street use. I have not heard anyone refer to the V-rod as a 'parts bin' or similar. All manufacturers rework and reuse their technology to some extent.
I didn't mean old as in sitting around old, I meant old as in without significant update

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough, sorry to misquote you.

Hasnt the engine received various upgrades/improvments?? I thought it had.
No worries :D

From what I understand GSXS1000 uses the 2005 K5. '05 was the last significant update that engine received, the R saw a minor update in 07 or something but it was nothing to phone home about...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, it must of been a great engine in 05 for it to still be competitive now. Its got more than enough power for me.
I think its more a function of Suzuki facing hardship just after the credit crunch. They canned their MotoGP efforts just after as well...

K1 debuted in 01, K3 update was in '03. K5 update was in '05, minor update for K7 in '07...

They were following a 2 year cycle until 2008 kicked them in the balls...

Oh for sure the engine is still absolutely rock solid, its just old compared to most of its rivals (of course tried and true is never a 'bad' thing)

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm new into the world of metrics, defected from Harley a year ago for my V-Strom and hope to add a 1000F as soon they hit the showroom floors although I do love the Ninja 1000 as well. If for whatever reason the GSXS doesn't fitme, it will be the Ninja.

I too didn't know anything about Suzuki having financial problems. Seems they are doing well now and make a great product.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think everyone had troubles in the late 2000's but it hit Suzuki the hardest for sure. Its definitely true that Suzuki is due to update some of the tech in their flagship sportbikes but I think they chose the K5 engine instead of a more modern engine with good reason. The long stroke and strong mid range are ideal for the S bikes. I think these bikes would not be as successful if built around a current GSXR 1000 engine.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sorry, but I would disagree with the original post. The GSX-S is not old technology, the engine is a variant of the K5 GSX-R, chosen as the starting point because of its characersitics and developed into the engine for the GSX-S. The chassis is new, the swingarm is current GSX-R, as is the Brembo ABS brake system.

Let's look at the Ninja 1000 (or Z1000SX as it's called over here) I looked at them in 2011 and again this year and I struggled to find any significant leaps forward.. yes in now has TC and a low power mode (the latter doesn't interest me at all), but it still doesn't even have a gear position indicator!

One thing I probably would agree with is that it is more than likely that Suzuki are following Zawasaki's lead with the idea of a naked and faired 1000cc street bike. Having ridden both this year though I have to say that the Z1000SX is more 'tour' than 'sport' whereas the F is a going to be all 'sport' with a dash of 'tour' :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
There is a review of the GSX-S1000 / Kawa Z1000/ BMWS1000R in this months "BIKE" magazine which I had yesterday.
It's the basic Z1000 not the SX and the tricked out version of the BMW not the basic, why don't they ever really compare like with like?
The Suzuki does shine but they vote the BMW the best however on value for money it's obvious which is best.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Something else I forgot.... the Z1000SX forum has quite a few threads about upgrading the standard wet plate clutch to a slipper.... something else that's already standard on the GSX-S :)

If I was staying naked, then I would have probably settled on the Beemer, but as a sports bike tuned for street riding with full fairing and a street riding position, apart from the Z1000SX, there isn't really anything I could find to compare (the S1000XR is a bit too 'enduro' and the R1200RS has a couple of cylinders missing from it's engine ;) )

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
That's confusing as I've just gone through my Suzuki blurb namely the 2015 model catalogue and it says it doesn't have it in there. I've been downshifting as though it hasn't got it so I'm going to give it a try now.
I've brought my first service forward to Wednesday so I'll ask in there, not saying you're right or wrong but I'd like to make sure in case I wreck the gearbox ;)

·
Registered
593 Posts
They don't list the clutch type on the Suzuki site for either the GSX-S or the GSX-R... the plot thickens!

I don't think you'll wreck the gearbox, it'll just unsettle the back end as the engine braking takes hold all at once when your in the lower gear.

·
Registered
647 Posts
After some ham fisted experimentation I think it has a torque limiter or slipper of sorts. Banged down 2 gears from 60mph and it behaved perfectly.
Can't wait to get the first service out the way for some seriously spirited riding.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts