GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that in cold weather (below about 10 degs centigrade) my engine can take between 6 to 9 miles to show 3 bars on the temp display. It reaches 2 bars within about 2 miles. Also after about a mile on a downhill section 3 bars drop to 2 bars. In warmer weather normal engine temp is reached in 2 to 4 miles. Has anyone else experienced this or can offer an explanation?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have noticed that in cold weather (below about 10 degs centigrade) my engine can take between 6 to 9 miles to show 3 bars on the temp display. It reaches 2 bars within about 2 miles. Also after about a mile on a downhill section 3 bars drop to 2 bars. In warmer weather normal engine temp is reached in 2 to 4 miles. Has anyone else experienced this or can offer an explanation?
ummm... because it's colder? :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Isn't that normal?

Engines are configured to operate at an optimal temperature range, which is where they perform their best with minimal wear and tear and they they use a thermostat. The cooling components (water pump, radiator fans) don't kick off until the temperature range is breached.

When your thermostat valve is closed, i.e when your engine temp is below nominal operating range, it is as good as having no engine cooling, except for RAM air. This explains your case, wherein with no engine cooling, you take longer to reach "3" bars during winter and come down to 2 bars when you are downhill, with no engine load, due to colder RAM air. However, you reach "3" bars quickly during a warmer climate.

You should be worried if it ever crosses "3" bars....;)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
No its not normal.
It sounds as if your thermostat is stuck open and it's not slowing the circulation to the radiator when the engine temperature is starting to drop.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
**** my 1000 reaches 2 bars in a few min time 3 bars shortly after and stays at 3 no matter what the temp is...sorry for the rant

·
Registered
396 Posts
Have you ever run a engine without a thermostat well you will get a similar results as JPC
but with more extreme changes in the temp range.
So like Beaker said it sounds like you have a problem with the thermostat.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I don't have a 750, so I'm just speaking in generalities, but it's a digital temp gauge. 2 and 3 are right next to each other. (one bit on a low resolution A2D would be 1/256 of the designed range). If it's really cold, he might be bouncing between 2 and 3, when on a warmer day it might stay in 3. If it was going into broader zones, or if the behavior occurred in temps that were the same or warmer than when it was steady, then that seems like an issue.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I think Suzuki could just remove the temp gauge - replacing it with Engine and Ambient air temperature numbers.
It's all in the ECU anyway, plus they could throw in displayed battery volts too.

Rob.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My previous bike was an SV1000S and it had a digital temp guage with display in degrees.

I always warm my bikes to operating temp and noticed the temp guage drop on cold days and cold sections of road.
The SV1000S would sometimes drop 5-10 degrees celsius below "normal" operating temp in winter.
As long as the fan kicks in when it should and there is no overheating then i don't see an issue here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My previous two bikes (SV1000S and CB1300) always controlled around the thermostat temp in ambient temps between 0 and 10 degs centigrade. As you are probably aware the first bar on the GSX-S750 comes on at 40 degs, the second bar at 50 degs and the third bar at 70 degs. If I leave the engine idling for a minute or two after the third bar comes on I can feel the radiator inlet hose suddenly get hot so the thermostat seems to be opening at roughly the right temp(82 degs). If I am noticing two bars on occasions in cool weather the the engine is only running at between 50 and 70 degs. I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this with their bike or whether my bike needs further investigation.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think your bike is OK, as you said it seems as the thermo is operating correctly. If you are riding at mostly low RPM's you may see your bike lose a bar in cold weather. Your bike was designed to be able to cope with extended high RPM's on back flogs...in very hot weather, so you are probably not taxing the cooling system with sedate rides in cool weather. If the bike is running OK I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts