GSXS 1000 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 f
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just a little notification that the gsxr1k2 transmission shafts/ gearsets is a direct fitment swap, combined with the stock gsxs clutch, the much lower 1st gear is much better suited to riding around town, in traffic, plus gains acceleration off the mark, only had a little blat b4 the rain started, so may not get a longer ride for a few days, all 4 upper gears are progressively taller, so will be great for touring...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Excellent information! The original gearing of the GSX-S really isn't well suited to what the bike is designed for and the way most of us are using these bikes, IMO.

What interests me the most is the lower first gear and taller sixth gear. The lower first gear would be much better suited to low speed operation, such as riding through parking lots, stuck in slow moving traffic, or any other time when it's necessary to creep along at very low speeds. The lower GSX-R first gear would ease some of the clutch work needed to maintain these low speeds, specifically 15mph and under.

The taller sixth gear would also be a welcome addition. I've always thought it would be great to have more of an overdrive-like sixth gear to bring the revs down considerably at highway cruising speeds. There's no need for the GSX-S to be revving well above 4k RPM at 60mph. Being a liter bike, the GSX-S has plenty of power that I'd like to have a decrease of at least 1k RPM at 60mph. This might be asking for a bit more than the GSX-R sixth gear offers, but it could be combined with a taller 55 profile rear tire and a even a one tooth increase of the front sprocket count or a 2-3 tooth reduction at the rear sprocket. That way we could really get the RPM down at highway speeds without the negative side effects of doing so with our factory gearbox ratios.

·
Registered
2016 f
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where did you find that and how difficult is it to change? How much did it cost?
the gsxr1000 01-04 gearbox has the better suited ratio's for a road use or touring , it is a direct swap, however to install it will require the engine out of the frame, the r/h sidecovers to be removed, output shaft seal retainer removed, the clutch can be swapped over without even requiring adjustment, the lower engine case has to be removed, i didnt swap the selecter forks or drum, as they are interchangable.
so this is a relatively easy install for a mechanically minded person, a shop tech should be able to complete this job in two days labour, i bought the gearbox for $250nz

1 - 8 of 8 Posts