GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why have we not got a Facebook page people ,every bike known to man on there but not us . Oh sorry there is one but not been used . Would someone not like to take over or start one ? .

·
Registered
320 Posts
Why have we not got a Facebook page people ,every bike known to man on there but not us . Oh sorry there is one but not been used . Would someone not like to take over or start one ? .
I've never had a Facebook account, and never will.

I have never had ANY social media account and never will.

I can't stand seeing everyone on the road around me looking down at their phones instead of watching where the **** they're going! They're so addicted to texting on Facebook and Twitter that they're truly powerless to tear their attention away from their phone to see what's ahead of them on the road. During a 5-month span of time in 2015-2016 I had both family cars get totaled by being hit from behind by some social media addict who had their head buried in their phone instead of paying attention to the fact that traffic had come to a complete stop ahead of them!

Texas (and my hometown Arlington) has laws against texting while driving, but I've never seen them enforced, so no one pays the laws any regard.

I commute on my bike. At any given stop light, it's a certainty that several of the cars surrounding me will have the drivers with their faces buried in their phones. It makes me want to jump off the bike and reach into those cars and grab the phone away from the driver and throw it as far as I can, and then yell at the driver, "Put down the **** phone and drive!".

Addiction to social media is a mental illness, and has become an epidemic. Statistically (and tragically), it's going to get some of us (bikers) killed on the road. So please count me out of your Facebook fan club.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh, forgot to mention -- I also have four ruptured disks in my back from one of those occasions of getting rear-ended by someone texting. Everything I do anymore hurts -- standing, walking, laying down, sitting in a chair. My quality of life is permanently changed for the worse by someone who was so addicted to social media they couldn't even bring theirself to watch where they were going.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha but your on here old Jake Bob... I'm on Facebook and all I'm there for is biking groups , I think I've 6 different groups , I go on rides and ask questions about the same stuff we do here , it's your choice if you want 10000 friends haha .me I'm not into it but I like to get to know other bikers . Anyway it's no big deal we have this group for info .

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
FAKEBOOK. joined FAKEBOOK FOR A DAY then canceled ..what a waste of time seeing people trying to build them self up to something there not ...if i need to know something about somebody my girl will snoop around fakebook for me and ill find out what i needed to know

·
Registered
719 Posts
Instead of joing facebook..photocopy your passport, drivers liscense, credit card number,social security card and bank info. Then, post it online followed by a spam email to everyone just to make sure its out there......youll have that half of the facebook experience covered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Haha but your on here old Jake Bob... I'm on Facebook and all I'm there for is biking groups , I think I've 6 different groups , I go on rides and ask questions about the same stuff we do here , it's your choice if you want 10000 friends haha .me I'm not into it but I like to get to know other bikers . Anyway it's no big deal we have this group for info .
My rant wasn't meant to diss you at all, dude, sorry if I came across like that. Glad you're here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a suzuki gsxs worldwide page, it has 2800 members and has a fair amount of action.

Use Facebook, don't use Facebook. No need to announce your opinion on it.

·
Registered
96 Posts

I can't stand seeing everyone on the road around me looking down at their phones instead of watching where the **** they're going! They're so addicted to texting on Facebook and Twitter that they're truly powerless to tear their attention away from their phone to see what's ahead of them on the road. During a 5-month span of time in 2015-2016 I had both family cars get totaled by being hit from behind by some social media addict who had their head buried in their phone instead of paying attention to the fact that traffic had come to a complete stop ahead of them!

Texas (and my hometown Arlington) has laws against texting while driving, but I've never seen them enforced, so no one pays the laws any regard.

I commute on my bike. At any given stop light, it's a certainty that several of the cars surrounding me will have the drivers with their faces buried in their phones. It makes me want to jump off the bike and reach into those cars and grab the phone away from the driver and throw it as far as I can, and then yell at the driver, "Put down the **** phone and drive!".

Addiction to social media is a mental illness, and has become an epidemic. Statistically (and tragically), it's going to get some of us (bikers) killed on the road. So please count me out of your Facebook fan club.

Sorry for the rant.
LOL, While I agree that people on their phones and social media can be very distracting to drivers what you are really saying is that you might have control issues. I have Facebook and the only time I have issues with it is when I am bored.

You DO have the ability to turn notifications off which is what I have done.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dragunslayer said:
LOL, While I agree that people on their phones and social media can be very distracting to drivers what you are really saying is that you might have control issues. I have Facebook and the only time I have issues with it is when I am bored.

You DO have the ability to turn notifications off which is what I have done.
I have no idea what any of that was supposed to mean, but I think your last sentence is saying that you don't want to read my reply. Um, okay, whatever...

Dragunslayer said:
...what you are really saying is that you might have control issues.
LOL, I said no such thing. You, being the professional psychologist-or-whatever-you-are (fill in the blank), might have somehow determined that I "might have control issues", but I couldn't care less what you've determined. I only have an attitude towards people who have no regard for the rule of law (i.e., no texting while driving), and also have no regard for the safety of everyone else on the road who are depending on them to do the only job they have while they're behind the wheel, which is to DRIVE. And the people who text while driving are also the same people who are so addicted to their Facebook and Twitter that they can't pay attention to where they're going regardless of whether they're on foot or behind the wheel.

I also couldn't care less that you've learned how to turn off your notifications.

·
Registered
370 Posts

Sorry for the rant.
LOL I done the same thing yelled at drivers while they were playing with their phones, but I add "I'm a cop put the [email protected]@king phone down " it's funny watching them put the phone away frantically.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have no idea what any of that was supposed to mean, but I think your last sentence is saying that you don't want to read my reply. Um, okay, whatever...

LOL, I said no such thing. You, being the professional psychologist-or-whatever-you-are (fill in the blank), might have somehow determined that I "might have control issues", but I couldn't care less what you've determined. I only have an attitude towards people who have no regard for the rule of law (i.e., no texting while driving), and also have no regard for the safety of everyone else on the road who are depending on them to do the only job they have while they're behind the wheel, which is to DRIVE. And the people who text while driving are also the same people who are so addicted to their Facebook and Twitter that they can't pay attention to where they're going regardless of whether they're on foot or behind the wheel.

I also couldn't care less that you've learned how to turn off your notifications.
Maybe your name should read OLDJACK___ Fill in the blank. My comments were towards your reference to never having a Facebook/ Social Media account because people abuse them while driving apparently. Are we to assume that you NEVER drink, smoke, eat or blow your nose while driving.

Again I agree with you that there are people that do not respect the law when it comes to texting and driving ect. But to say you will never have an account because of that is just crazy. There are much more serious reasons that you should not have a social media account , but I must admit that they can be distracting and are at the top of the list.
I find it more stupid that they bother to pass laws that say a 16-20 year old cannot text and drive but the same does not apply to a 21- ??? in some states.

Honestly there are days I wish my father would have never given me my first computer and connected it to the internet.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Haha but your on here old Jake Bob.
This. Forums were social media before the term Social Media was formed. Before that it was BBS, but I doubt many remember those. Forums are just a different medium and a bit more focused. At least on facebook, I limit to people I actually know. It's also been awesome in a few different ways. I managed to reconnect with my best friend from elementary school and found out we were both on a business trip in NY. In one week I went from not knowing if the guy was still alive to having lunch with an old buddy. You can hate all you want but in the end it's just a tool and what you get out of it is how you use it. Sure, many use it in a bad way, but to trash everyone who uses it is just wrong.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts