GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has your experience been with sustained high-speed riding on the GSXS 1000? How fast did you go and for how long and how did your bike behave during that time ?

·
Registered
370 Posts
My meeting spot is about 90 miles from home, I take the Teconic parkway north nice twisty highway no trucks. There has been a few times early sunday morning I let it rip 80-110 for about 60 miles. The bike performed perfectly, I have the F model so the wind was not a problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
On a track day last year on my S. Showing an indicated 230 km/hr down the back straight of the Bruce McLaren international circuit in NZ. In most respects, it was an anticlimax, simply "point and squirt" until the braking marker. Too much focus on what I was doing to fully enjoy the moment! I must say that the bike performed impeccably with no anxious moments at all apart from my own anxiety about late braking :) .

On public highways, the greatest kick for me is nailing a bend sequence in terms of positioning. In other words, riding well rather than riding fast. Maybe it's because I'm an old fart at 71 and won't bounce too well If I get it wrong :D

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
most highway ride are 80 to 110 mph...for both long and short distance ...as getting closer to home and we know the roads better we open the up till max then back down often....get higher speeds closer to home because we know where not stopping for blue lights or any car trying to gain on us...know the roads and where where going

·
Registered
719 Posts
I made the trip from Orlando to fort lauderdale in just over 2hr...bike was beautiful the entire way....usually a 3hr trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
On a track day last year on my S. Showing an indicated 230 km/hr down the back straight of the Bruce McLaren international circuit in NZ. In most respects, it was an anticlimax, simply "point and squirt" until the braking marker. Too much focus on what I was doing to fully enjoy the moment! I must say that the bike performed impeccably with no anxious moments at all apart from my own anxiety about late braking :) .

On public highways, the greatest kick for me is nailing a bend sequence in terms of positioning. In other words, riding well rather than riding fast. Maybe it's because I'm an old fart at 71 and won't bounce too well If I get it wrong :D
You need one of those Air Bag vests to help you bounce better :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
152mph true/164mph indicated no problems, steady as a rock

What has your experience been with sustained high-speed riding on the GSXS 1000? How fast did you go and for how long and how did your bike behave during that time ?
Last year on the German Autobahns I cruised at 100+mph with luggage for sustained periods, maxing out at 152 on the sat nav(without luggage, hitting the rev limiter, steady as a rock all of the time

·
Registered
543 Posts
I avoid high speed on this thing. Just too much wind on the naked model above 100 mph. I do like running it up through the gears though. That is this bikes strong suit IMO. My front wheel is rarely on the pavement.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I avoid high speed on this thing. Just too much wind on the naked model above 100 mph. I do like running it up through the gears though. That is this bikes strong suit IMO. My front wheel is rarely on the pavement.

There is a lot of wind but really not to bad. For me, the issue is more the cross winds...i have a steering stabilizer and thats when i tend to use it. I also have one of the puig sport screens and that does a fairly good job of moving the air above me, especially of tucked a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've done a lot of touring, some at very high speed. I think your answer is dependant on a few factors. Weather being a main one, wind, direction, temperature, a few more
In my experience it will be the body which gives up before the bike.
The bike is quite capable of sustaining a better pace than your body can handle for long duration, especially if you have the std S version.
As long as the bikes been properly maintained I wouldn't worry about it. Find a pace which suits you and is comfortable so you're not going to be aching (or in jail) the next day and enjoy.
This bike can handle more you can;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I avoid high speed on this thing. Just too much wind on the naked model above 100 mph. I do like running it up through the gears If wind MMthough. That is this bikes strong suit IMO. My front wheel is rarely on the pavement.
If wind is a problem MRA do a great screen (about £100/$140) for the naked. You will think you are on a fully faired bike.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If wind is a problem MRA do a great screen (about £100/$140) for the naked. You will think you are on a fully faired bike.
No way I am putting a windscreen of any type on my S. She looks to good to mess the lines up with an aftermarket add on screen. The Suzuki one won't do anything. I bought the Suzuki brand screen for my old B-King it protected the gauges and that was about it.

EDIT: What the **** I just ordered one of the Puig new generations in dark smoke....lol

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you work for law enforcement?
I always stick to the speed limit /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
No buddy I can assure you for the record I am not law-enforcement I sit on the other side of that fence !I also View speed limits as merely suggestions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most of my rides are very long, at least 250mi every time I leave the house, so even if the speeds are sedate the wind does become an issue. I put a Givi touring screen on my F and it seems to be just fine. I'll know better when I get it to the mountains of N. Ga. The stock screen seemed fine but I just wanted a little more of my head out of the wind. So far an indicated 130 with no pressure and no buffeting. Wind noise is a little deeper (more bass?) but don't feel it. I can hear the stock exhaust going a little faster but that is probably going to change soon as I'm thinking of an M4 GP slip on. Does anybody have one on their bike?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts