GSXS 1000 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I narrowed down to these two bikes, have you guys ridden these two bikes and which one would you take? which one is a better bike regardless of price?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Friend has the z900 I have gsxs1000, we traded bikes for several days.

He loves his z900 but he loves my gaxs1000, I hate his z900 and love my bike.

His gears are stupid short, his engine braking is ridiculous, it sits higher, I just don’t like it at all.

Gsxs, after a flash, is 10x better. He loves how smooth my bike is and handles on a dime. Imo, I have no desire to ride his bike again.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Friend has the z900 I have gsxs1000, we traded bikes for several days.

He loves his z900 but he loves my gaxs1000, I hate his z900 and love my bike.

His gears are stupid short, his engine braking is ridiculous, it sits higher, I just don’t like it at all.

Gsxs, after a flash, is 10x better. He loves how smooth my bike is and handles on a dime. Imo, I have no desire to ride his bike again.
Thanks a lot for this information.
I'm a new rider, a short guy 5' 5" 140 lbs. I started riding on December 2018 on a new Honda Grom 125cc, I learned on this little bike, then on July of 2019 I bought a Honda CB500F ABS 2019 for daily commute work/home about 35 miles round trip 50% streets and 50% Fwy and now I want to get the GSXS1000 for weekends riding on the FWY 100% since there is not much traffic.

I already test rode the GSXS1000 and I loved the power but I felt the clutch is too hard and a bit taller for me 31.9 vs my Honda CB500 30.9"
The Kawasaki Z900 2020 is 31.5" and the clutch is very soft and easy. I have not test rode it yet.

But your opinion makes me want more the GSXS1000 because I want power, at least 140 HP:D

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks a lot for this information.
I'm a new rider, a short guy 5' 5" 140 lbs. I started riding on December 2018 on a new Honda Grom 125cc, I learned on this little bike, then on July of 2019 I bought a Honda CB500F ABS 2019 for daily commute work/home about 35 miles round trip 50% streets and 50% Fwy and now I want to get the GSXS1000 for weekends riding on the FWY 100% since there is not much traffic.

I already test rode the GSXS1000 and I loved the power but I felt the clutch is too hard and a bit taller for me 31.9 vs my Honda CB500 30.9"
The Kawasaki Z900 2020 is 31.5" and the clutch is very soft and easy. I have not test rode it yet.

But your opinion makes me want more the GSXS1000 because I want power, at least 140 HP:D
I'm 5'5" too. No problems for me, though I'm maybe 40 lbs heavier and I did have a supermoto in the past which I could only 1 foot, so that makes the GSXS feel like a cruiser.

In terms of clutch pull, I noticed it was pretty stiff from the factory. After adjusting the angle downward, that helped a lot. Also, I stopped holding it at stops.

Recently, it occurred to me that I could just move the levers inward a bit to make the levers easier to engage since I'm using bar end mirrors. Granted, I'm using an aftermarket handlebar, but you might be able to do something similar with the stock one. The original position of the levers was right up against the control switches.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another member of the short crew here, 5’6” and stay around 195lbs.
My 2016 GSXS 1000 is very comfortable to me but I am on my tip toes at stops, it has been that way with every street bike I have owned since 1993!
Kick starting my 2012 RMZ 450 is really fun though! Luckily it starts in a kick or two!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm 5'5" too. No problems for me, though I'm maybe 40 lbs heavier and I did have a supermoto in the past which I could only 1 foot, so that makes the GSXS feel like a cruiser.
Good to know this! I thought that 1,000cc bikes were reserved for tall guys only. (6'4", 6' 8")

In terms of clutch pull, I noticed it was pretty stiff from the factory. After adjusting the angle downward, that helped a lot. Also, I stopped holding it at stops.
Yes, I noticed this right away, but I guess most bikes have the clutch very stiff, like the Honda CB650F, CB650R, CB1000R, Yamaha MT07, MT09, etc. The Kawasaki 400, 650, Z900 have their clutch very soft, but I have not test ridden any Kawasaki, perhaps soon I'll ride the Z900.

Recently, it occurred to me that I could just move the levers inward a bit to make the levers easier to engage since I'm using bar end mirrors. Granted, I'm using an aftermarket handlebar, but you might be able to do something similar with the stock one. The original position of the levers was right up against the control switches.
Thanks for this advice, I guess if I get it, I'll have to try this.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Another member of the short crew here, 5’6” and stay around 195lbs.
Lucky me, I found a 1,000cc bike like the GSXS1000 which is only 31.9" vs. others like the Honda CB1000R that is 32.7" tall, Yamaha MT09 32.28", MT10 32.5" BMW S1000R 32.0" and 33.1" etc. Even at 30.9" on my CB500 I feel it tall already but I got used to already.

My 2016 GSXS 1000 is very comfortable to me but I am on my tip toes at stops, it has been that way with every street bike I have owned since 1993!
Lucky you that started ridding long time ago. I wish I could have started in 1993! I have lost so much fun all these years. Hopefully I catch up soon. If I get the GSXS1000, I'll have 3 bikes already.:D I may get the Z900 too if I like it. I have a budget of $30K to buy a new car (Camry or Accord), but since I don't even drive a car anymore, may as well spend the $30K in other toys.:D

Kick starting my 2012 RMZ 450 is really fun though! Luckily it starts in a kick or two!
I bet that must be so much fun. I don't have that experience yet.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hi John,
Thick or stiff gloves affect the clutch feel. I have a damaged left hand with reduced strength of half my right.
I find the clutch jerks on the last bit of the release action, but if I don't use a glove (only for testing this) it works a lot better. My gloves are a fraction too short in the finger length which doesn't help either.
The curve of the clutch lever could be less severe at the ball end for me, BUT it's just a ride around situation, adapting your style, and adjust the lever till you get a compromise that works enough for you.

Rob.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi John,
Thick or stiff gloves affect the clutch feel. I have a damaged left hand with reduced strength of half my right.
I find the clutch jerks on the last bit of the release action, but if I don't use a glove (only for testing this) it works a lot better. My gloves are a fraction too short in the finger length which doesn't help either.
The curve of the clutch lever could be less severe at the ball end for me, BUT it's just a ride around situation, adapting your style, and adjust the lever till you get a compromise that works enough for you.

Rob.
Hi Rob,
More like stiff. I have 2 different pairs of gloves, the ones the I use for winter (very cold about 40F these are thick) in the morning and the ones for summer (about 95 ~ 100F) these are very thin. I guess I'll have to adapt my self and play a little with the settings or buy some after market ones.

Thanks for your suggestions though!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Clutch is hard? It’s because you’re using oem levers. Get shorties, I have asv levers. I know supposedly shorter is harder, but imo I think long levers hard and hurts my pinky.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I agree with the stiff clutch thing. It's a little harder than my previous bikes and much harder than my DL650.
I did put aftermarket levers on (Pazzo's) and the fit to my hand made it much better than stock. Still... I'm gonna put shorty levers on my DL, but I feel like I need the extra fingers on my GSX. The Pazzo's "regular" levers are still shorter than stock, and require less effort.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I came from a '75 Norton Commando 850 that had a clutch that was so stiff that the ferrule on the end of the cable that went inside the transmission would eventually just pull off and tumble down into the innards of the transmission. Over the years I owned the bike I replaced a number of ferrules and several cables. I had developed such a sizable collection of loose ferrules in the bottom of my transmission that I was starting to worry about one of them getting picked up and jammed between two gears in mesh. That would've been bad. When I sold the bike I had to tell the buyer about all the ferrules in the transmission.

So the clutch on the GSXS is such a pussycat by comparison that I don't even notice it, even though I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I came from a '75 Norton Commando 850 that had a clutch that was so stiff that the ferrule on the end of the cable that went inside the transmission would eventually just pull off and tumble down into the innards of the transmission. Over the years I owned the bike I replaced a number of ferrules and several cables. I had developed such a sizable collection of loose ferrules in the bottom of my transmission that I was starting to worry about one of them getting picked up and jammed between two gears in mesh. That would've been bad. When I sold the bike I had to tell the buyer about all the ferrules in the transmission.

So the clutch on the GSXS is such a pussycat by comparison that I don't even notice it, even though I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands.
I come from a Honda Grom 125cc that is like a toy and the CB500F 2019 that has a very soft and easy clutch. Almost feels like the clutch cable is broken loose :D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don't know about clutch stiffness, never had it.
I bet it's those guys with the "f" version whinging.>:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts